fill down problem?

11:21 a.m. on November 9, 2012 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
3 forum posts

Hi everyone!

I choosed two potential insulated down jacket which I prefer, but I read the technical infos and the North Face catalyst micro jacket has 70g of 800 eu goose fill down and the other jacket is Rab Microlight Alpine jacket which has 140g of 750 (US) european goose down. So which is the warmest? I think the Rabs is warmer because the filling weight is larger, but I am a little bit confused..  anyway Im looking a very warm down jacket for high mountaineering..any recommendation?

thanks

12:13 p.m. on November 9, 2012 (EST)
TOP 25 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
2,439 reviewer rep
1,298 forum posts

i think it depends on what you mean by "high mountaineering."  if you are thinking about summer hiking where you need a thin but warm layer, the jackets you are looking at might be OK.  i usually think of mountaineering as a somewhat colder activity and might look at jackets with more down filling than these. 

there is some (but not much) difference between 750 and 800 fill power down.  the 800 should be a little fluffier/loftier than the 750.  i think a jacket that has twice as much 750 fill power down may end up providing more insulation than one with only half the down, despite the slightly higher loft. 

4:16 p.m. on November 9, 2012 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
3 forum posts

thanks

5:59 a.m. on November 10, 2012 (EST)
225 reviewer rep
1,196 forum posts

I wouldn't even consider getting a down jacket or parka with just 140 grams of down, that's only 5 ounces and a good winter parka has at least 15 ounces of quality down.  Check out the Feathered Friends Icefall parka or the less beefy Western Mountaineering Meltdown jacket.

8:55 a.m. on November 10, 2012 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
3 forum posts

..it will be a little off topic but what if I  buy a Marmot Precip and under a Arcteryx Atom LT or SV. This set is almost fully waterproof and fully insulated for winter.

any suggestion?

October 23, 2014
Quick Reply