Get the bag!

9:33 p.m. on November 10, 2012 (EST)
75 reviewer rep
4 forum posts

I am a avid backpacker, and outdoors man, I recently had all my gear stolen....sorry person! I digress, I am in the process of replacing all my gear and was wanting some input for my new stuff. I had Mountain Hardwear backpack, The North Face tent and sleeping bag. I usually go solo and love to find the one place I will not run into anyone, so light and fast is all me! I have been looking at Osprey Aether 85 Backpack, Mountain Hardwear Drifter 2 Tent, and Mountain Hardwear Ultralamina 32 sleeping bag. Any suggestions for other gear or just a FYI on these products would be greatly appreciated.

4:00 a.m. on November 11, 2012 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
1,236 forum posts

Hi mntman911 and Welcome to Trailspace,

I'm so sorry to here of your loss.  I can't speak much to the exact equiptment your currently looking at as most of my gear is vintage, but might I suggest that after all is said and done and you've decided on which gear to get (to replace your stolen gear) that you look for it on eBay and or Craigslist to save money.  We also have a classified section here as well that you might keep an eye on.  There are some other websites were you can get your gear (used) for much cheaper as well such as geartrade.com.  Some of the others here can give you more info on some of the discount sites for new gear, I just can't think of them at the moment.  It is my opinion that starting about now and for the next 4-5 months are the best time to buy gear both new and used but esp used as it's the off season.  Good luck with your search and agian welcome.

8:59 a.m. on November 11, 2012 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
606 forum posts

That happened to me a few months ago. Really sucks, I have lots of gear but it was my favorite that got stolen. I dont like osprey packs, I know im in the minority here but its gregory for me. Give their packs a try before you decide.

11:51 a.m. on November 11, 2012 (EST)
1,631 reviewer rep
3,962 forum posts

I as well have had ALL of my gear stolen at one time. Not cool at all. I experienced a serious empty hole in my gut when it happened...

...okay and in my wallet as well(they even took my boots.)

I have replaced a huge chunk of it. 

Osprey makes a great pack if they fit you correctly. I had an Aether 70 but when it was time for a new one I ended going with the Argon 85. 

In regards to the Ultralamina 32 ya may also want to take a look at the Flip 35-50.

This will give you a bit of flexibility in regards to the seasons you can use the bag. It comes with either down or synthetic fill, similar weight(dependent upon fill, pretty close msrp, and as I mentioned earlier possibly a better range of when it can be utilized.

I am not sure when you take your trips(as far as seasons go) so I am just throwing out a "Hail Mary" on the temp rating you mentioned on the ul 32.)

As far as the MH Drifter goes I have seen one but have not used one so out of fairness I will demur from offering any feedback on that specific model. 

I would be a bit worried about the lack of a top vent on the fly in humid conditions. Maybe it has one but from the pics I don't see it if it is there. 

Here is a listing for one on Geartrade that has been lightly used with a footprint for under $150:

http://www.geartrade.com/item/281399/mountain-hardwear-drifter-2-with-footprint

They have a plethora of gear on the site that you can save some serious coin on. Here is a link:

(hiking/camping:)

http://www.geartrade.com/browse/hiking-and-camping

7:32 p.m. on November 12, 2012 (EST)
2 reviewer rep
10 forum posts

just curious why would you carry an 85L pack? how much stuff are you taking?

12:20 p.m. on November 14, 2012 (EST)
TRAILSPACE STAFF
501 reviewer rep
2,993 forum posts

So sorry about someone stealing your gear. That's too bad.

If you haven't seen the reviews of the products mentioned yet, here you go:

There are a number of reviews by firsthand users.

Hope that helps. Good luck!

12:34 p.m. on November 14, 2012 (EST)
75 reviewer rep
4 forum posts

Thank you all very much for the info. @Mark Clark I usually cary everything up to kitchen sink. Im prior service an carry redundant gear, I usually camp alone, and plus I carry a change of clothes to rotate out(habit I can't break) @Alicia thanks for the links, I'm gona check those out also. Thank y'all again!

Happy Trails

Kevin

12:50 p.m. on November 14, 2012 (EST)
21 reviewer rep
1,073 forum posts

If you are an avid backpacker why would you need help selecting equipment?  I understand the need to help newcomers, or people that get too much information on a single item.  Pick one and look at the rest.

8:26 p.m. on November 14, 2012 (EST)
121 reviewer rep
291 forum posts

I can personally vouch for the Mountain Hardwear Lamina 35. Only one zipper compared to the Ultralamina, though be careful of the year product your looking at, there have been some changes. Anyway, I've had the Lamina 35 in temps down into the mid twenties, no liner & just wearing baselayers and been toasty warm. It is light & very compact and comes with one of the best compression sacks I've seen. There are definitely better bags but not in that price range.

11:32 a.m. on November 21, 2012 (EST)
12 reviewer rep
3 forum posts

Osprey aether 70 - a great pack and will carry 40 lbs as comfortably as that weight can be carried

11:49 a.m. on November 21, 2012 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
23 forum posts

mntman911 said:

I have been looking at Osprey Aether 85 Backpack, Mountain Hardwear Drifter 2 Tent...Any suggestions for other gear or just a FYI on these products would be greatly appreciated.

I have extensive experience with the Aether 85. On the normal backpacking trips we make, I carry a lot of photographic gear, a minimum of 12 liters of water, all the cook gear and a 4 person tent as we like a roomy shelter, etc. I have had the pack since 2008 and have hundreds of nights on it now. If you expect to carry more than 40 lbs which I have to due to the water, I suggest and have traded in the IsoForm hip belt for the beefier BioForm that comes standard with the heavier built Opsrey Argon. It only cost a few bucks more but makes a big difference.

I have used this pack hard in the canyon country of the southwest and it has held up much better than some of my earlier packs. Sandstone eats gear. If the pack fits you, it is very comfortable and carries well. Get it fitted. I had to get a large frame, large shoulder strap harness but exchange the belt size down to a medium. My Girlfriend could not fit into the Osprey packs at all though. It is very individual.

On the tent, my good traveling friend has one and likes it. I have no personal experience but it fits him and his gear inside comfortably.

Good luck, sorry to hear of your gear loss.

12:16 p.m. on November 21, 2012 (EST)
TOP 25 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
2,424 reviewer rep
1,283 forum posts

+1 on swapping the more robust belt if you plan to carry a lot of weight...or look at the argon 85. 

you may prefer a synthetic fill bag, and if so, read no further.  if you are willing to try down, it's nice.  mountain hardwear makes solid quality bags, i use the Ghost for winter. 

12:21 p.m. on November 21, 2012 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
12 forum posts

To avoid an unfortunate ebpvent like at his happening to someone else, could you maybe describe the circumstances in which the gear was stolen? Were you camped and on a day hike away from camp? Stolen from a vehicle?

Some details may help prevent this happenning to someone else, and give us a heads up.

Thanks!

2:36 p.m. on November 21, 2012 (EST)
12 reviewer rep
1 forum posts

I've had an Osprey Aether 85 pack for about 4 years. It is excellent for load carrying in comfort, maybe the most comfortable pack I've owned. Its also great on rough terrian.

However, its not the most robust pack I've had. It started showing signs of wear pretty quickly, which surprised me. Previously all my packs have been Macpac (New Zealand manufacturer), which are very strong, although a bit heavier than some 

11:36 p.m. on November 21, 2012 (EST)
11 reviewer rep
3 forum posts

I love the Osprey packs. I have several of them. That Aether 85 is a workhorse. And comfortable. The 70 is about the same weight. But I went back to using my my trusty Granite Gear Vapor Trail. It's only 2lb. and I can cram about 30 lb. in it with ease. My 85 is for sale, BTW. 

12:49 a.m. on November 22, 2012 (EST)
TOP 25 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
592 reviewer rep
1,460 forum posts

Ppines. Like anything in life, there is always more to learn. I practice law. If I ever think that as an experienced attorney I don't need the advice of other experienced attorneys, I will either fail or stagnate or both.

12:49 a.m. on November 22, 2012 (EST)
1,631 reviewer rep
3,962 forum posts

polinais said:

My 85 is for sale, BTW. 

You could list it in the classified section here.

It is a great pack from a great company as long as it fits you and I am pretty sure someone would jump on it. 

I had a 70 and now own the Argon 85(as seen in the photo below) as well as a Stratos 26(which I reviewed and is linked.)

LHHT-January-2012-039.jpg

12:43 p.m. on November 26, 2012 (EST)
75 reviewer rep
4 forum posts

Everyone my gear was stolen from my vehicle. I loaded up everything for a trip...I got sick the following day and did not go. I got lazy an left my gear in my vehicle, in plain sight! On top of it all my wife went to the vehicle, which I usually keep locked, and she left it unlocked! Now take into consideration we live in a small town and in a rural area, so we don't have that much crime. All the items taken pointed to kids cause they didn't get the expensive stuff or gear that a person looking for a quick pawn would get, laying in plain sight. Ex. DVD player with $100 of movies...I got 4 kids! Lesson learned don't leave gear in vehicle!!!!!!AT ALL!!!!! and defiantly don't leave it unlocked!

July 25, 2014
Quick Reply