Ceramic knife

4:44 a.m. on November 17, 2012 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
606 forum posts

I was wondering if anyone has ever tried or used a ceramic knife. I just bought a small ceramic boker. Im gonna use it for my food prep knife. Ive always carried a seperate small knife, im in the food business so maybe im paranoid about cross contamination. Anyway, does anybody have any insight on the durability of ceramic knives. Its super light, razor sharp and on clearence for ten bucks. I cut lots of food daily in my work and this little knife cuts as good as any knife I have. I am amazed at how smooth the ceramic cuts, it seems to hold its edge extremely well. Sorry for yet another knife post, hopefully this one wont stir up to much drama.

6:39 a.m. on November 17, 2012 (EST)
REVIEW CORPS
812 reviewer rep
555 forum posts

It's kind of funny this new ceramic craze. They are putting it as a coating in cookware as well as making knives. Now I know the manufacturing process is different and the ceramics are tough, but, the last time I dropped a ceramic coffee mug, it shattered into hundreds of pieces. Are the knives similar or do they put something in the mix to reinforce it?

10:50 a.m. on November 17, 2012 (EST)
REVIEW CORPS
563 reviewer rep
286 forum posts

Ceramic knives do hold a nice edge, but you have to be careful with them.  you can easily chip the blade, or, as rob5073 mentioned, break it altogether (or apart!).

11:11 a.m. on November 17, 2012 (EST)
REVIEW CORPS
1,846 reviewer rep
1,317 forum posts

Very sharp, just not very strong. As others mention they can chip/crack etc easily if your not careful and never ever try and pry with a ceramic blade.( not that you should with a regular blade either)

1:58 p.m. on November 17, 2012 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
606 forum posts

I know they arent as durable as steel, but for what im gonna do with it I think it will be ok. Ive done my prep cutting with it all week, an hr plus each day and I havent seen any wear. I think it is a different formula than a ceramic coffee mug. You can buy ceramic barrels for some guns, so it must be a lot tougher than coffee mug ceramics. I think it has to do with how it is fired in a kiln, almost like tempering steel it is cooked to help with the hardness.

2:39 p.m. on November 17, 2012 (EST)
REVIEW CORPS
1,846 reviewer rep
1,317 forum posts

Totally different from a coffee mug. ceramic "tools" are designed to accept stress/pressure in a specific direction and in that direction is super strong but in any other direction is very weak. Ceramic strength is similar to carbon fiber items kinda in regards to being made to only withstand stress from a specific direction.

3:51 p.m. on November 17, 2012 (EST)
12 reviewer rep
843 forum posts

ceramic knives are brittle. that is why they can break in situations a normal knife wouldn't.

9:06 p.m. on November 17, 2012 (EST)
TOP 25 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
2,439 reviewer rep
1,299 forum posts

bottom line is that for ten bucks, why not try it out? my primary reason for using knives that i think are a little more sturdy is that they tend to get some abuse from time to time.  if all you're doing is food prep, i'm guessing it will be fine.

ps - like any kitchen knife with a sharp edge, make sure that blade is in a sheath or at least a piece of cardboard.  it would suck to have an a knife you aren't sure about, that you are trying out, slice up your favorite backpack.  

2:40 a.m. on November 18, 2012 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
606 forum posts

That would be a nightmare, to cut up my own pack. It came with a sheath that is pretty secure,i put a little piece of duct tape on it to be sure it stays on the knife. I carry an old coffee pot to boil water in and both my camp kitchen knives fit inside it. It seems really strong, in the proper cutting direction, im not gonna test it any other direction. I like the way it cuts so much, if they get more in stock I may purposely break one to see what its failure point is. Im really curious.

2:14 p.m. on November 18, 2012 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
396 forum posts

Advancements in glass are pretty amazing.  Folks with PhDs and entire fields dedicated to the study and development of new types of glass and glass derivatives.

I've used one in the kitchen, and they're nice.  I look forward to seeing what they do with cookware.  My main home cooking vessel is a dutch oven.  I use it for everything you can imagine, except it doesn't get alone with eggs.  They stick like mo-fos.  It makes me curious about non-stick ceramic frying pans etc.

I don't know about anyone else, but I don't go beating my metal knives against things and abuse them.  If I take similar care with a ceramic knife, I bet it'll last a good long time.  Avoid using it like a dagger, since the point is obviously the weakest part, and I'll put my money on the science behind the formulas they're using to make these things.

3:39 p.m. on November 19, 2012 (EST)
REVIEW CORPS
1,846 reviewer rep
1,317 forum posts

I completely forgot to mention. I had a boker ceramic 8in chefs knife about 10 years ago and i dropped it and it landed point down on the tile floor and the blade suffered multiple hairline stress fractures, and was for all intensive purposes useless.

I would just me mindful when using to avoid dropping it for one, and also to be mindful of where and how its packed in your pack so that items wont shift and slam into it etc.

I personally will always use a metal blade when backpacking because I often use it to baton wood. I can only imagine how a cermaic blade would react to that lol.

3:26 a.m. on November 20, 2012 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
606 forum posts

If you saw this knife you would know im not gonna baton wood with it. the blade is about 2.5 inches long. Its a really small knife. If im gonna have a fire I usually carry a 30 yr old gerber lmf, that monster will baton anything.

October 25, 2014
Quick Reply