Looking for a backpacking tripod

5:15 p.m. on November 22, 2012 (EST)
MODERATOR TOP 10 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
2,570 reviewer rep
311 forum posts

I am looking for a tripod that I can take backpacking that is very lightweight. Does anyone have any suggestions? I have a tripod on my Gerber Steady multi-tool that I use for my Iphone, but I need something a little bigger and more sturdy for my camera. It is not a pocket sized one, but it isn't a big lens DSLR either. I am basically looking for something bigger than a Joby/Gorilla, but definitely sub 2lb. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated!!

Ashleigh

5:28 p.m. on November 22, 2012 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
606 forum posts

There is a very nice carbon fiber tripod for sale on craigslist new hampshire. I just saw it a couple of days ago. Really light but not cheap, good luck.

4:00 p.m. on November 23, 2012 (EST)
REVIEW CORPS
563 reviewer rep
286 forum posts

I use, when hiking, a Slik Sprint Mini II Tripod with Ball Head.  Small and light.  Works great with my Canon G12 and pretty good with my Canon 7D and a shorter lens (not my 100-400mm L zoom!) as long as I'm careful about setting things up with the lens extending over a tripod leg.  Weighs about a pound.

http://www.amazon.com/Sprint-Mini-Tripod-Ball-Head/dp/B0029QGQ5Q/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1353704142&sr=8-3&keywords=slik+mini

5:01 p.m. on November 23, 2012 (EST)
MODERATOR TOP 10 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
2,570 reviewer rep
311 forum posts

That is exactly what I am looking for! Thanks so much, Jim! Hotdogman, thanks as well!

5:08 p.m. on November 23, 2012 (EST)
52 reviewer rep
312 forum posts

I found the Joby/Gorilla to be next to useless; the Pedco Ultrapod II is much better.

If you do get an ultralight tripod and head, it can be worthwhile investing in something like Bogen/Manfrotto, Giottos, or even Gitzo, though there are diminishing returns the higher you go. Also, a small "arca-swiss" style ballhead/QR system with plates for your camera/s. That way, you can always progress instead of restarting if you want to support more weight later on.

Carbon fibre is nice, but aluminium (with foam covered legs) gets the job done and will put up with a lot of bashing around. A place to hang your gear off, such as a hook on the centre column, is handy. It is worth mentioning that often going "too light" can bring its own problems, such as stability in the wind and an inability to remain planted in the soft earth.

Check out photo.net for more info on backpacking camera supports.

11:04 p.m. on November 23, 2012 (EST)
REVIEW CORPS
563 reviewer rep
286 forum posts

Ashleigh said:

That is exactly what I am looking for! Thanks so much, Jim! Hotdogman, thanks as well!

Glad I was able to help!

July 22, 2014
Quick Reply