eddie bauer/first ascent mountain guide down jacket

9:14 a.m. on November 26, 2012 (EST)
TOP 25 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
2,424 reviewer rep
1,283 forum posts

my mid-weight down jacket, the do-all that takes me from down sweater territory up to the mountains, is old and has acquired a peculiar odor that may be cat pee.  while i'm going to down wash it, may be time to replace.

any experience with the first ascent mountain guide down jacket? not the Peak XV, i already have a really well-insulated one for deep winter.  while i would like the feathered friends hooded helios or volant, i don't think my wallet can take the abuse.

i have looked at some other things - a couple of the western mountaineering jackets, mountain hardwear phantom, for example - and was able to get good feedback about them.  

thx.  

12:21 p.m. on November 26, 2012 (EST)
21 reviewer rep
1,076 forum posts

Wash it by hand with down soap, dry it, break up the down and keep wearing it.

1:24 p.m. on November 26, 2012 (EST)
2,424 reviewer rep
1,283 forum posts

thanks.  that is a perfectly logical solution. 

actually, because this is an inexpensive, sewn-through design, it is fine to throw in the front-loading clothes washer, set on delicate, with nikwax down wash.  i dry down in a clothes dryer set to 'air dry' (no heat), with a couple of old sneakers to un-clump the down.

but, the fact of the matter is that i have never loved the jacket, and i now have an excuse to replace it.  a lame excuse, admittedly.  it's bulky and heavy for a down jacket, 550 fill.  the sleeves are a headache; rather than the normal design, some bright bulb had the idea that strange-shaped sleeve compartments would look better.  problem is, i have to spend a fair bit of time re-positioning the down in the sleeves to avoid bad cold spots.   

1:56 p.m. on November 26, 2012 (EST)
2,424 reviewer rep
1,283 forum posts

ps - i'm particularly interested because everything Eddie Bauer sells is 40% off today only.  that's a pretty good sale. 

4:38 p.m. on November 26, 2012 (EST)
12 reviewer rep
836 forum posts

go for it! replace the cat pee jacket! bought my new jacket yesterday...columbia bugaboo 3 in 1. not a down jacket but it's all I need and was on sale. I already have a down jacket that I like. no more cat pee jacket! chaaaarge!

11:54 p.m. on November 26, 2012 (EST)
708 reviewer rep
875 forum posts

I have had three Bauer Down jackets. The first, with Moutan Collar(sheep) simply wore out, The second, an expedition weight "buzzard proof" I wish I still had, despite the pundits who say the heavier weight fabrics don't work. The third, also a "buzzzard weight", still performs well. Wash what you have, the down, especially eider down, you can never replicate for warmth, no matter the scent.

12:30 a.m. on November 27, 2012 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
10 forum posts

You will be nothing but happy with that jacket, for a down jacket it really takes a beating!! It's like the down sweater and the guide jacked made an awesome mountain baby with a hood!

1:52 a.m. on November 27, 2012 (EST)
447 reviewer rep
277 forum posts

I really like my Eddie Bauer First Ascent "Down Sweater" (shown in my avatar). Got it on a summer sale 2 years ago for $89! Now I won't backpack in the high mountains in summer without it. (Ever experienced 16 F. on the PCT in AUGUST? I have.)

12:05 p.m. on November 27, 2012 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
387 forum posts

has anyone ever tried baby shampoo on down?  results?  much less expensive, but maybe still too harsh?

this is where I go for this type of review:

http://coldthistle.blogspot.com/

6:39 p.m. on November 27, 2012 (EST)
12 reviewer rep
836 forum posts

baby shampoo on down? sounds like an interesting experiment. I usually use nikwax down wash on the gentle cycle. works for me.

3:05 p.m. on November 28, 2012 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
387 forum posts

I now use baby shampoo on my wools because it is a mild, low-suds detergent.  I've been happy with it's performance and obviously price.  I've used it on expensive garments.  I wondered if it could be gentle enough for down as well.

7:03 p.m. on November 28, 2012 (EST)
12 reviewer rep
836 forum posts

I can see the price aspect. woolite aint cheap. I'm a little hesitant to try it on my down jacket though. I've been satisfied with the nikwax. still, it is a cheaper alternative.

8:04 p.m. on December 1, 2012 (EST)
36 reviewer rep
74 forum posts

Hi All, been a while since I posted.

The Mountain guide jacket remides me of my Mtn. Hardwear sub zero jacket. I've tried it on in on a few time at the store and seems a very good value for the money.

If your looking for something similiar I would suggest taking a look at the Mtn Hardwear Hunker Down jacket maybe even the TNF Nuptse 2. But with all the Sales going on at EB I doubt you can find something equal in value.   

July 29, 2014
Quick Reply