gear sales - paying it forward

5:02 p.m. on November 26, 2012 (EST)
TOP 25 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
2,702 reviewer rep
1,338 forum posts

if you are like me, you are getting bombarded by email and other advertising from gear websites and stores you have frequented.  cyber-monday sales, up to 50% or 60% off 'selected items,' reductions on already-reduced outlet items....

one notable - everything Eddie Bauer sells (that's in stock) is 40% off today.  not unprecedented, but finding a nice down jacket at that discount, this time of the year....i usually wait until May to find deals like that.

of course, there is more to the holidays than buying gear.  we all keep our own counsel about how to say "thank you" to our society for the lives we lead.  I encourage people to donate used warm jackets and other gear to needy people; to give some of your time and energy during the holidays to a charity of your choice; and to consider donating some of the money you save on those killer gear deals to people whose holidays may not be as merry.

no peer pressure; just a thought.

6:50 p.m. on November 27, 2012 (EST)
12 reviewer rep
843 forum posts

I donated my old jacket to father joe's (a charity here in san diego). it felt good to give back...every year I donate something...I donated my old boots and teva's when I replaced them this year, and I'll keep on donating.

December 19, 2014
Quick Reply