for gear heads who count ounces/grams

6:34 p.m. on December 3, 2012 (EST)
TOP 25 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
2,702 reviewer rep
1,338 forum posts

with all the talk about how hiking with lighter-weight stuff is so fab, i found this at REI and surrended to my inner gear nerd.  partially justified the relatively small expense (around 25 bucks) by reasoning that it will quickly save me at least that much in airline baggage fees.

very easy to use.  unclip it, loop the webbing around the hang tag or haul loop, re-clip, make sure the scale is at zero.  then pick the thing up, and it computes the mass. 

it can measure up to 100 pounds.  measures mass down to tenths of a pound, and hundredths of a kilogram.  not much larger than the palm of my hand, nice, easy-to-read digital read-out, even for an old man like me.

:)

image.jpg

4:59 p.m. on December 4, 2012 (EST)
12 reviewer rep
843 forum posts

a hang scale. good for counting ounces. I just use my old digital kitchen scale. I can get down to grams with it as well. I just wonder what you do if you can't hang it? not everything has a carry strap.

7:50 p.m. on December 4, 2012 (EST)
TOP 10 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
2,445 reviewer rep
5,392 forum posts

You just put the stuff in one of those plastic grocery bags that has handles (my town has outlawed plastic bags, but I still have a few). Those scales are small and light enough to take with you on the trip, which you can't do with the digital kitchen scales.

I got one similar (has a hook instead of a strap). It has proven handy when having multiple bags and you have to stand there at the check-in counter, shifting stuff from one duffel to another so that all the bags are under the airline limits. I have avoided the $100 "overweight" fee several times now.

December 20, 2014
Quick Reply