Do it yourself idiot leashes - looking for ideas

12:27 p.m. on January 3, 2013 (EST)
TOP 25 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
2,439 reviewer rep
1,298 forum posts

my backup cold weather mitt/gloves are a pair of Hestra mitten shells with primaloft inserts.  the idiot leashes that came with them were incredibly annoying - the leashes had a thick elastic band at the end.  i could barely get them around my arm, let along a couple of layers.  i got rid of them.  but, i think leashes are vital for cold weather gloves and mitts, even the backup, and the shells still have the attachment point.  i have a spool of 3mm glo-line utility cord and figure a length of that and a plastic toggle will probably do the job, but i'm wondering if anyone has had to replace their leashes, and what they used.  Most of the leashes on mitts i ahve used over the years seem to be shoelace-like material rather than utility cord.  also, plastic spring toggles can be kind of heavy; i'm thinking there might be better hardwear options for tightening the leash. 

thanks for sharing your ideas. 

(the Hestra mitts are OK.  they were very inexpensive, suitable as a backup.  i like that they are a 'lobster' design, so the index finger is separate, and the closure for the gauntlet is easy to use.  but, they have a busy/heavy design that prompted me to cut some unnecessary straps off, i had to replace the not-very-warm inserts (quallofil gloves) with a primaloft lobster insert, the waterproof shells were not seam-sealed so i had to do that myself, and the shaping isn't ideal, the index finger is a little tight and tends to get cold, the thumb isn't pre-curved at all so it tends to stick out).

3:25 p.m. on January 4, 2013 (EST)
21 reviewer rep
1,213 forum posts

The traditional solution is a leather thong up the sleeve across the shoulder and down the other sleeve.  A modern length of nylon or darcron cord would work nicely and would not be attractive to gnawing animals like pocupines.

5:18 p.m. on January 4, 2013 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
606 forum posts

Thats the same thing I would recommend. It works well for my three yr old. She was losing them in the yard til I put parachute cord on all of them.

7:48 p.m. on January 4, 2013 (EST)
102 reviewer rep
2,295 forum posts

PPine & Hotdog:

You guys are old school geezers!  (Me too)  +1 for the long mitt leash.

Also consider attaching all of your headgear to the same leash, so that doesn't get carried off too.

Ed

4:20 p.m. on January 5, 2013 (EST)
12 reviewer rep
843 forum posts

+1 for the over the shoulder leash. thats the best way to go.

4:30 p.m. on January 5, 2013 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
606 forum posts

Whome, easy buddy im in my early forties. The over the shoulder just makes sense, and its another piece of cordage should you need it.

5:07 p.m. on January 6, 2013 (EST)
12 reviewer rep
843 forum posts

theres nothing wrong with being a geezer :P but I prefr the term "old fart"!

4:08 p.m. on January 7, 2013 (EST)
723 reviewer rep
915 forum posts

I use something soft like heavy cotton string, up over the shoulders. While certainly not as strong, it lies a bit flatter than nylon cord and there is less risk of hard pressure points for pack straps.

4:52 p.m. on January 8, 2013 (EST)
2,439 reviewer rep
1,298 forum posts

i hadn't thought of a long leash all the way through my sleeves & across my shoulders.  interesting.

would you use the shoulder leash on a pair of backups? i hopefully won't drop or lose my primaries, but if i do, wouldn't the long leash require me to remove my shell to thread the backups through the sleeves? that's fine in fair weather, but in high wind seems like a headache. 

9:08 a.m. on January 9, 2013 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
606 forum posts

So dont sew the leash on to the mitts. Use a safety pin or some other temp but secure method to attach them. Then you could change them without removing your coat. I hadnt thought about changing them during the hike. When my daughter gets hers wet we come inside. Shes pretty tough for three yrs old, she almost made it all night in my tent with me in the backyard, the same night those guys got rescued off lafayette.

9:40 a.m. on January 9, 2013 (EST)
2,439 reviewer rep
1,298 forum posts

'temporary but secure' - no such thing in high winds.  a blast of wind that could knock a person over and yank a leashed mitt away from your arm could almost turn a safety pin into a pretzel.  for better or worse, that's Mt. Washington and its neighbors in the winter.  heck - with the cold front that's moving in today, you're going to see winds at and over 100 mph this week! (i have been following the weather b/c i'm planning a hike in the white mountains in February).

i appreciate all the comments.  i'm going to try looping a length of utility line (2.75 mm sterling cord, it turns out) and locate a smaller toggle to cinch it around my sleeve.  

3:29 p.m. on January 9, 2013 (EST)
102 reviewer rep
2,295 forum posts

leadbelly2550 said:

'temporary but secure' - no such thing in high winds.  a blast of wind that could knock a person over and yank a leashed mitt away from your arm could almost turn a safety pin into a pretzel.  for better or worse, that's Mt. Washington and its neighbors in the winter.  heck - with the cold front that's moving in today, you're going to see winds at and over 100 mph this week! (i have been following the weather b/c i'm planning a hike in the white mountains in February).

i appreciate all the comments.  i'm going to try looping a length of utility line (2.75 mm sterling cord, it turns out) and locate a smaller toggle to cinch it around my sleeve.  

My gloves and mitts all have small tie-in loops.  I pass the leash through the loop on each article and tie the tag end of the leash back onto itself.  Thus anything I am currently wearing on my hands is tethered.  Exchanging these items with other mitts in my pack requires the care you'd use whenever retrieving items from your kit, until they too are made secure to the leash.

Ed

11:03 a.m. on January 12, 2013 (EST)
10 reviewer rep
479 forum posts

I've had cordage sewn into the major seam in each armpit.  When not in use it is rolled up into the sleeve with a shortening knot.  Never know it is there.

Drawback is that you don't have a tether for every piece of outside clothing that you do with the long string up over the shoulder.

The hat tether is a good idea.. hmmm.

October 22, 2014
Quick Reply