About | Blog | Forums | People | Free Newsletter
Trailspace is a product review site for outdoor enthusiasts. Use it to find and share great gear.

Fingerless Glove Recomendations?

10:43 a.m. on January 19, 2013 (EST)
36 reviewer rep
74 forum posts

Hi All,

I am looking for a new pair of fingerless gloves. I have a pair wool "Major Burns" gloves from Goorin Brothers but they have started to fray.

I basically want to use them for short hikes and walks and just running around town and commuting to work. I've hit Dick's and REI but their selection is very limited. I've looked on Amazon and they offer quite a few, but in all sorts of price ranges.

I'm not interesteted in those hybrid mitten/fingerless gloves since I tend to find them a bit bulky.

The Windproof Fingerless Gloves by Patagonia seem pretty nice. But I've been reading user reviews about them and they seem split down the middle as far as warmth and quality, plus they're $40.00. Also the Orvis Barbour gloves seem pretty good at $27.00.

Anyway any thoughts would be appretiated.

10:48 a.m. on January 19, 2013 (EST)
TOP 25 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
1,684 reviewer rep
1,277 forum posts

The two types i use and prefer and ragg wool fingerless gloves, and the fleece fingerless/mitten convertible gloves commonly sold as ems, rei etc. And much cheaper than the name brand varieties

11:59 a.m. on January 19, 2013 (EST)
TOP 25 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
2,264 reviewer rep
1,250 forum posts

i burned a few holes in the ends of the thumb and some fingers of expedition capilene glove liners years ago (hot candle lantern and stove) and eventually cut the fingers off.  nice because they fit nicely under other gloves and give you really full use of your hands, if you don't need too much warmth.  if it's a little too cold, i'll wear them under OR's windblock fleece gripper gloves.

metolius makes really nice fingerless leather climbing/belay gloves that i find myself wearing a lot.  very thick/supple leather, and they have great loops to clip into a carabiner.  

12:13 p.m. on January 19, 2013 (EST)
200 reviewer rep
3,931 forum posts

I wear fingerless cycling type gloves and you can also get weighlifting gloves at places like Target, Walmart and Kmart. I don't buy them at bike shops cause they are way too expensive. I find them for about $5-9 a pair at the above listed places.

I also use them for hiking especially when some climbing or rock and branch handling is possible.

For cold winter riding a wear lightweight nylong gloves underneath.

Below are examples but htey come in many styles.

campagnolo-tg-system-heritage-short-fing

10:18 p.m. on January 19, 2013 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
1,073 forum posts

This is something I wouldn't over think.  I've used fleece and rag wool versions.  After melting a fleece glove on my skin I've used wool more often than not.  Patagonia's are nice, but they are fleece and $40 is a lot of money for these.  I'd go for a pair of rag wool gloves and call it a day.

1:06 a.m. on January 20, 2013 (EST)
36 reviewer rep
74 forum posts

Thanks all! I stopped at EB today and got something similiar to these but in a dark gray. Got 'em for $10.00 (60% off)...
EB12ID_0142798_400C2.jpg

10:34 a.m. on January 20, 2013 (EST)
21 reviewer rep
1,012 forum posts

Leadbelly has is right.  I have cut the fingers off lots of gloves, especially for fishing in cold weather.

2:35 p.m. on January 20, 2013 (EST)
REVIEW CORPS
405 reviewer rep
815 forum posts

No question, ragg wool that cover the wrist. I can't remember where I got them, but they last a long time.

April 21, 2014
Quick Reply