Synthetics below 0F bags?

12:21 p.m. on January 24, 2013 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
11 forum posts

I was researching climashield and found a closed topic on here(thats why I joined) and there seemed to be a lot expierenced people with information regarding the subject.  As I was reading I noticed people kept refering to TNF dark star bags.  I was just wondering what the advantage would be in getting a bag that is synthetic in those temps(-20F) you would think that getting your bag wet when most water is in solid form would be quite difficult.  Some one please tell me what im missing?  I know there is something. 

PS. I have no expierence with synthetic bags.  I got my first TNF down bag at age 12(stil have it) and have only purchased down since.  Also, I have been caught in several wet situations including setting my tent up in what I thought was a soft dirt spot on rocks only to find out after it started pouring that that had gathered dirt cause it was a run off point for watter and have never had a problem with a complety useless soaked down bag.  I currently use a FF ptarmagin(winter) and a nanutak ghost(summer)  

3:02 p.m. on January 29, 2013 (EST)
493 reviewer rep
277 forum posts

I have a -20 F. Mt'n. Hardware bag of Polarguard Delta insulation, the predecessor to Climashield insulation but not nearly as compactable. My bag is heavy and stuffs LARGE.

But, to its credit a synthetic bag will permit body moisture that is frozen to the insulation to be beaten off and to be shaken to the foot or sides of the bag. This is good for retaining the insulating properties of the fill.

** IMHO I feel the best winter bags would be down with a removable synthetic top. As we know body vapor moisture rises until it gets cold enough to condense into water droplets. That usually means the top inches of insulation.

IF the top layer was synthetic it would be much easier to manage the condensed and usually frozen body vapor - especially if the top was removable, say,  via several Velcro pieces around its edges.

The other route in very cold weather sleeping is to use a VBL inner bag to prevent any moisture from entering the bag's insulation. This usually requires a thin poly propleyene longies suit to avoid the feeling of clamminess. Frozen body moisture can easily be beaten off light polypro garments that have been hung to freeze.

Hope this helps explain some options.

4:39 p.m. on January 29, 2013 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
11 forum posts

That definately helps my understanding.  Thank you for responding.

October 20, 2014
Quick Reply