Best 2nd-Hand Sweater...

3:53 p.m. on January 24, 2013 (EST)
REVIEW CORPS
1,195 reviewer rep
1,064 forum posts

"2nd-Hand" meaning used, and generally: from a thrift store or consignment store (brick-and-mortar, or online), bartered for something else, or handed down/gifted.

I'll go first:

20130124_144205.jpg

That my Dachstein wool sweater. This is the Austrian Military model, which is functionally identical to the (brand new) sweater Bradley Alpinist sells here:

http://www.bradleyalpinist.com/cart/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=42&products_id=480&zenid=2itims71h1dkbtefnfmol37u50

Differences, as have been explained online by the owner of Bradley, include a slimmer cut on the Military model, the velcro name-tape (which can be easily removed), and the shoulder patch (which also can be easily removed).

I got it a little while ago, online, as they are all but impossible to find in the areas I frequent. Paid $70. It is, of course, insanely warm (20F with just a baselayer underneath), wind-resistant, water-resistant, and heavy. I've waxed the canvas elbow/shoulder reinforcements with Barbour's Paraffin, and doused it to refresh the lanolin. There is a little tag inside of it that says "Moth-proofed for life". Mine has to weigh over 4 pounds.

4:14 p.m. on January 24, 2013 (EST)
REVIEW CORPS
1,699 reviewer rep
1,307 forum posts

Don't have any pics of it readily accessible. But my best 2nd hand sweater from my local Savers(thrift store) was 2 ww2 SAS wool sweaters, otherwise known as the "commando sweater" with elbow patches and epulets. They are the traditional OD green sweaters you see in most ww2 british war movies etc. Truly an awesome product. They make replicas nowadays, but you can't beat the quality of the originals.

They were like $2 or so a piece if i remember correctly. One of the best items I have found in thrift stores for sure.  They are a permenant part of my winter layering system.

9:51 p.m. on January 24, 2013 (EST)
38 reviewer rep
1,757 forum posts

My two wool sweaters are not second hand, but were hand made for me by friends as presents. Both are made from the same or similar pattern and are made from NZ wool. Far to nice to wear camping. :) They are somewhat like the British sweaters, but without the patches.

10:34 p.m. on January 24, 2013 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
1,075 forum posts

I found one of the Austrian sweaters several years ago and they are incredible.  The Austians also sold a full zip version which I would love to have.  Hands down the thickest, warmest sweater I've ever seen.  Too heavy to carry in a rucksack and too warm most of the time.

5:13 p.m. on January 25, 2013 (EST)
59 reviewer rep
270 forum posts

University friend had a pullover of pure New Zealand wool, size extra large. After he did his own laundry for the first time, I had a pullover of pure New Zealand wool, size small.

The thing felted. It's almost half an inch thick, impervious to wind and nearly waterproof. Downside: I can barely bend my arms. Upside: what do you mean the windchill's -30 Celsius? Can't be, I just fed the birds wearing only a sweater.

6:34 p.m. on January 25, 2013 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
1,075 forum posts

I also found a original Dachstein sweater at a thrift store for minimal money. This was the cardigan style, not the pullover.

August 23, 2014
Quick Reply