Looking to give the hammock gear a shot

7:13 p.m. on February 10, 2013 (EST)
193 reviewer rep
74 forum posts

Ok, I've read alot about your takes on the hammocks. I think I may give it a shot and see how it works out. I'm not one to spend alot on gear like this. But, I would like some pointers if you can. I normally carry a Maxpedition pack on most of my 2 to 3 day hikes. Anything above that, I have an external frame  large pack with a good bit of extra room. I hardly ever use a tent, mostly just a tarp. So, it doesn't have to be a covered one. But, any ideas will be an advanced thumbs up.

Be Cool

7:28 p.m. on February 10, 2013 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
606 forum posts

If you dont wanna spend much, and you wanna be able to return it, go to walmart. I cant believe I said that, but they sell a hammock for 25 bucks. I have one, I cant tell the diff between it and a eno singlenest, except for the suspension. Ive had mine for two yrs with no prob, I was over 250 lbs when I first used it. plenty rugged 300 lb weight limit I think. Anyway, unless you wanna diy project then that a good place to start. That, a tarp and a ridgeline and your all set. Hammockforums.net has a bunch of diy ideas you can look at, plus a lot of used hammocks for sale. I sleep way better in a hammock, less secure feeling than a tent, but with a hammock specific tarp about as weatherproof. If I was still down south I would think about a bug net, you can make one really cheap. The tent guys are gonna chime in now. I think the more options you have the better, be it tent, tarp, hammock or straight cowboy campin under the stars, im into anything outside.

10:18 p.m. on February 10, 2013 (EST)
REVIEW CORPS
1,699 reviewer rep
1,297 forum posts

There is a dramatic difference between good hammocks and cheap hammocks. That being said if you really want a cheap one just to try out I would say the 20ish dollar Nano is the way to go, I forget who sells it/brand but its the nano ultralight hammock. grand trunk maybe?

I have a WBBB and am very happy with it( Warbonnet blackbird)

10:45 p.m. on February 10, 2013 (EST)
193 reviewer rep
74 forum posts

Sounds good guys. I'm gonna give it a shot I think. I always stay clear of much of the WalMart gear. I didn't even know they carried hammocks. Thanks for the Nano insight too. I wasn't too sure how some of the cheaper brands would hold up.

July 29, 2014
Quick Reply