Hiking with dogs-sewn in groundsheet

6:48 a.m. on February 11, 2013 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
4 forum posts

Has anyone found/got a 2 man tent with porch that has a sewn in (integrated) groundsheet?  Camp with dogs and you'll know...they can be off into the night if they need the loo or hear something (eg. fox). In Britain where close control is law, it's a big no no. Tie outs for unattended dogs also no use...too many reasons but mainly a dog getting tangled up outside in the night is no fun, particularly if you're the dog.

Need something light enough for two to carry with integrated groundsheet in porch. Dogs can't sleep in with us-partner's asthma. 

8:55 a.m. on February 11, 2013 (EST)
314 reviewer rep
1,124 forum posts

Hi Duma. Your post doesn't state what type of camping that you do. But if I'm reading this right  you're a car camper looking for a larger tent. I think I can point you in the right direction.

There is a conversation going on about a ebay seller (alchemist) that is selling Hi Gear tents for pennies on the pound. Here's the link

http://www.ukcampsite.co.uk/chatter/display_topic_threads.asp?ForumID=32&TopicID=287638&PagePosition=1

I also think this forum might be a better place to ask this question.

Mike

9:24 a.m. on February 12, 2013 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
4 forum posts

Thanks for the speedy response. We're on foot. Well feet. Ten of them.

Thanks for the tip off, we have a couple of larger tents but I'll check put these.  I'll check out the forum too.

We really need something we can carry between two of us.  People have suggested some pop ups but I think we'd probably take off with one of those strapped to our backs!

Thanks again.

9:27 a.m. on February 12, 2013 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
4 forum posts

Okay. 12 including my partners....better not leave him out...although separate tents might be one solution..there's a thought.

10:26 a.m. on February 12, 2013 (EST)
52 reviewer rep
312 forum posts

Just copy what the manufacturers do:

Buy the tent you want with extended porch; buy the cheapest 'footprint' that will cover the porch area; cut a new footprint out of that with a few inches shorter around the edge (stop water pooling); sew elastic loops and loop these around the corners - tent and peg points - once the tent is up. You can tie the elastic straps (available from sewing shops) every time or buy some keyring carabiners and attach those permanently.

Try outdoorsmagic and UKHillwalking, both have loads of dog-owners.

12:22 p.m. on February 13, 2013 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
4 forum posts

Thanks. I'll try both those sites you suggest. 

I can ask around and see whether anyone else has given this a go. I expect there are loads of folk who've had the same issue with dogs who like to slip out and have a wander.

Thanks again.

July 24, 2014
Quick Reply