Mystery Ranch now making a "wet rib"!

12:59 a.m. on February 12, 2013 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
109 forum posts

http://www.mysteryranch.com/packs/all-accessories/wet-rib

I was just goofing around on their website and saw this - when I sold an extra Dana Design wet-rib back in 2011 I got a lot of comments about how rare, beloved, and sought-after these terrific little accessories had become over the years.

Anyhow, I thought some of you might find this interesting as spring rapidly approaches.

Happy trails!

KD

7:25 a.m. on February 12, 2013 (EST)
REVIEW CORPS
770 reviewer rep
1,285 forum posts

Hey thanks for the heads-up oruacat2! I dig this.

This would be better as winter gear for me: it would keep my water from freezing and give me a place to stuff my gloves and beanie as I change layers while hiking.

This last winter I moved to smaller .5 liter water bottles and would keep one in my front pants pocket to prevent freezing; having your pants stuffed with things isn't very comfortable though.

1:53 p.m. on February 12, 2013 (EST)
REVIEW CORPS
1,308 reviewer rep
1,072 forum posts

Can you all hear the ebayers collectively sigh as the market tanks for their "well-preserved" $150 Dana Designs Wet-Ribs?? Can you?...I can.

Thanks for the link!

5:32 p.m. on February 12, 2013 (EST)
12 reviewer rep
843 forum posts

yet another place for your stuff!

7:12 p.m. on February 12, 2013 (EST)
493 reviewer rep
277 forum posts

My original Wet Rib (different design than new one) is made of heavy fabric - too heavy. And this new WR is also of heavy material. Crap!

Dana needs to make a Wet Rib of light but strong material like Dyneema or better. Then the UL community would buy it.

Guess I'll have to sew my own.

"Patman", this setup will not keep your bottle from freezing. As a Nordic ski Patroller in NW Pennsylvania I carried a bottle (in an insulated pouch) for years. Often the mouth of the bottle froze. I had to often remove the lid and break the ice on top with my knife to drink.

Best bet for winter hiking/backcountry skiing & snowshoeing is to carry water in a wine bota slung over your shoulder and under your shell. Always worked for me.

Eric

7:39 p.m. on February 12, 2013 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
606 forum posts

I carry my bottle in an insulated pouch all winter. The secret is to put it in upside down, then the freezing happens at the bottom, not in the threads. I use a mr long pouch, in the wetrib position. Im gonna try to post a funny pick in this thread, if I cant look at my profile.

7:45 p.m. on February 12, 2013 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
606 forum posts

Can someone help me post a pic in a thread.

8:17 p.m. on February 12, 2013 (EST)
REVIEW CORPS
770 reviewer rep
1,285 forum posts

Eric,

Interesting info, thanks!

My thought is to keep the bottle near my body for heat transfer; having never carried my water on my belly I don’t know for sure if that will work so I am indeed speculating about that (but have seen the stomach advice written from one of the super hiker adventure guys like Skurka or ‘Trauma (can’t remember which). My front pocket experiment with the smaller bottle has worked pretty well so far this year but it really hasn't been very cold here in EastTN so maybe it hasn’t been thoroughly tested yet.

Last year in temps 10F or lower I had the freezing thread and  layer building issue on my standard Nalgene bottles (stored in my packs side pockets), but I’ve stayed frozen thread free with the smaller cheap plastic bottles kept in front pockets (well actually it’s the slightly sturdier cheap plastic bottle from Cumberland Mountain Springs) this year.

That’s really neat about the ski patrols I bet that was some experience!

The majority of my hikes are within a three hours radius from home and I only hit bad cold a few times a year normally.

Regardless, I still dig that “wet rib”…, lol

8:27 p.m. on February 12, 2013 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
6 forum posts

For this Winter I invested in a pair of Hunersdorfs bottles and cosies from Forty Below, they have served me well so far.

8:34 p.m. on February 12, 2013 (EST)
REVIEW CORPS
770 reviewer rep
1,285 forum posts

hotdogman,

Where is the picture you want to post? On a camera, on your PC, or somewhere on the internet , etc...

7:46 a.m. on February 13, 2013 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
606 forum posts

Its on my profile now. I just cant figure out how to get them in a thread. Its just a funny pic, kinda related to a wet-rib. Ive never figured out how to post pics, except to my profile. Im always on my phone, not computer.

2:41 p.m. on February 13, 2013 (EST)
12 reviewer rep
843 forum posts

I too would like to know how to post a pic.

never mind. figured it out, its easy to do from a pc.

3:04 a.m. on February 14, 2013 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
606 forum posts

its really easy to post a pic from my laptop
Daily-10.jpg

4:19 a.m. on February 14, 2013 (EST)
REVIEW CORPS
1,308 reviewer rep
1,072 forum posts

hotdogman said:

its really easy to post a pic from my laptop
Daily-10.jpg

That one's going on my hard drive...

8:35 a.m. on February 14, 2013 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
606 forum posts

Isnt that great! I found it on the net and saved it on my hard drive just last week. It was too perfect not to post it in this thread.

2:23 p.m. on February 14, 2013 (EST)
TOP 25 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
2,439 reviewer rep
1,298 forum posts

for me, it would indeed be a wet rib because it would be soaked with sweat.  i'm fine with the good-sized mystery ranch pockets in the winter, and with using a platypus every other time of the year (and then using the pockets for snacks/hats/gloes). 

7:41 p.m. on February 25, 2013 (EST)
20 reviewer rep
3 forum posts

I ordered one with my new G5000. Looking forward to giving it a shot. Have tried the Ribz front packs in the past as i really like the idea of a front pack-type arrangement. The Ribz were a good idea but the quality was garbage. Heres to hoping the MR solution is a good one!

October 25, 2014
Quick Reply