Help with gaiters

9:30 a.m. on February 12, 2013 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
606 forum posts

I have been unable to find any gaiters big enough for my right calf. I know that sounds funny, but I have had a bad left knee for 25 yrs. So my right leg is larger, from bearing all my weight when standing for all those years. Ive tried several brands, their xl size and it is very snug, so tight that I frequently split the velcro open, filling it with snow. My clothing gets compressed and then my leg gets cold. Im looking for the largest gaiter on the market, I guess. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

10:14 a.m. on February 12, 2013 (EST)
52 reviewer rep
312 forum posts

There is a trend for gaiters to be thinner, sort of like a softshell look and without the elastic at the ankle. So, if you cannot find some older style, with the shoe-lace/cord tying at the back and made from canvas, with zipper at the back, I would suggest hitting the sewing machine; of all the things I can imagine being able to sew myself, gaiters would be near the top, after a pillow-case. You don't need a zip, just velcro and a QR buckle under the arch, either tough nylon or a piece of the rubber strap that is sold for spares in the outdoor shops (must be a stronger sewing machine?). For the front, usually a brass riveted lace-hook, a small plastic key-holder snap-gate thing as found in the trouser pocket of MHW mesa pants, would suffice. This could be sewn further back and underneath the front fabric, so as not to catch etc.

I have a pair of gaiters that are larger in that they are for winter boots only and they extend too far forward for the lace-hook to grab the front lace on summer weight boots. They are not wider at the calf - in fact they are the trendy, snug fitting ones. Good luck!

7:31 a.m. on February 15, 2013 (EST)
1,631 reviewer rep
3,962 forum posts

First and foremost funny avatar pic. Thanks for starting my day for me with a chuckle.

Okay onto the whole gaitor thing. 

I have a bunch of pairs of these things. 

I am thinking maybe give Mountain Hardwear's Pinnacle or Ascent Stretch a whirl in the size XL.

I have the Ascents for winter and I love them. They incorporate a stretch backpanel(calve area) into their design and may give you the room you are looking for. 

(gray panels in the photo below.)

Feb-2012-LHHT-012.jpg

I have largish calves as well and these also give me enough give to easily accommodate a hinged knee brace as well. 

9:44 a.m. on February 15, 2013 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
606 forum posts

Thanks guys, you know thats not me. I couldnt resist using it as my avatar, too funny.

5:44 p.m. on February 17, 2013 (EST)
REVIEW CORPS
973 reviewer rep
598 forum posts

You've probably tried them but OR crocs are sized to go over large plastic mountaineering boots. Have you tried them? I have them in a large and they fit nicely over my mountaineering boots. That said I don't have overly large calves.

10:45 a.m. on February 19, 2013 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
606 forum posts

Jake, Rick, I havent tried any of the ones you guys mentioned. I was going up north soon to play in the prez's, but im not sure my hand will be ready. I was trying to get some ideas, the selection is way better up there than here. Im still hoping to go, but prob gonna have to change our plans to something a lot easier. I never realized how much I use my hands when hikin, I can go with out poles, but cant do much with one hand. I think I can try all of the brands/models you guys suggested in the stores up north.

12:21 a.m. on February 22, 2013 (EST)
245 reviewer rep
1,469 forum posts

get snake proof gaters

7:44 a.m. on February 22, 2013 (EST)
TOP 25 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
2,424 reviewer rep
1,283 forum posts

outdoor research crocodiles come in an expedition side, as Jake observed.  they have a huge amount of leg room; i have worn them over puffy pants.  on the downside, the lower opening is really large, sized to accommodate big, insulated boots.  if i tighten the bottom strap, i can wear them with a pair of size 11 1/2 leather hiking boots covering all the laces; otherwise, the opening is too big and they 'gap.'  

3:51 p.m. on February 23, 2013 (EST)
12 reviewer rep
836 forum posts

outdoor research makes some oversized ones.

July 24, 2014
Quick Reply