Eddie Bauer First Ascent Info?

10:40 a.m. on February 24, 2013 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
8 forum posts

Good day all,

Now in my 30s, I'm returning to backpacking after having done it as a kid.  I'll be going with my wife and 2 cocker spaniels.  We just got backpacks, and I'm looking for the big items at this point - tent, sleeping bags, and sleeping pads.

I get a 40% discount with Eddie Bauer; I've purchased quite a lot of their First Ascent line clothing and been quite impressed.  Their sleeping bags and tents seem to be comparable to other manufacturers in price, weight, and features.

Any information/recommendations on these items?

Ignitor Synthetic Sleeping Bag

Karakoram Down Sleeping Bag

Stargazer 3-Person Tent

I also get a steep discount with Mountain Hardwear, so am planning on sticking with them if I can't find more First Ascent info.

2:13 p.m. on February 24, 2013 (EST)
73 reviewer rep
31 forum posts

Mountain hardwear is awesome stuff durable too. I have a phantom , ultralamina 15 , and banshee sleep bags and love them. I have a mountain hardwear hard shell wind and rain coat with pit zip for cooling and keeping sweat out of arm pit area. The MH tent is great and bought it used 3 season still tough as nails. A lot of people look at Eddie Bauer as designer brand than functionality. I myself have never seen anything from them except one guy had a sleeping pad. Look just like a folding Therm a rest. But all and all tells us how the Eddie B stuff works out. Not all MH stuff is great once and a blue moon they have a flop. If you could find out what material thier stuff is made of and comepair to similar brand styles.

3:23 p.m. on February 24, 2013 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
8 forum posts

I agree with you in general, but Eddie Bauer's First Ascent line is supposed "guide designed," and my experience with their clothing is quite positive.  NOTE: This is ONLY for the First Ascent line, not their normal clothing.

I've had nothing but good experiences with Mountain Hardwear.  In fact, I just pulled out my 15-year-old Mountain Hardwear tent and set it up in my living room - it's still in good shape!

5:07 p.m. on February 24, 2013 (EST)
36 reviewer rep
74 forum posts

I have FA Mountain guide shell, down vest, and a bunch of FA fleeces and have been very impressed with the quality (and price).

Plus EB is always having sales especially now that their clearing out their winter gear for their spring line. So if you're interested in FA, now is the time to buy.

Big Mountain Hardwear fan as well, have a several of their shells and jackets. I've never had problems with any of their gear, and the quality is great.

7:23 p.m. on February 24, 2013 (EST)
TOP 25 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
2,439 reviewer rep
1,292 forum posts

I have a first ascent down parka, very warm and fairly heavy.  that is what I wanted, and it has been excellent.  Can't comment on their sleeping bags or tents.  However, I think they have done a very good job with the First Ascent line and wouldn't automatically reject it.  

Mountain Hardwear gear usually performs well - their winter tents and sleeping bags are outstanding, and they are doing an increasingly great job with down garments.  if you can't get comfortable with the options from First Ascent, i don't think you would go wrong with Mountain Hardwear.   

9:29 a.m. on February 25, 2013 (EST)
MODERATOR REVIEW CORPS
658 reviewer rep
2,148 forum posts

I do not own anything from the EB FA line, but I regularly hear great things from people who's assessment I trust who have used their products.  My impression is that they actually do a great job with the FA products. 

3:45 p.m. on February 25, 2013 (EST)
REVIEW CORPS
1,195 reviewer rep
1,069 forum posts

'Tis true, the FA line is generally good. I had their DownLight down vest, a fine realisation of the Idea...

6:03 p.m. on February 25, 2013 (EST)
210 reviewer rep
179 forum posts

My first high quality down parka was an Eddie Bauer Kara Koram double offset-quilted parka. At the time, it was pretty much top of the line. EB has moved in and out of the high end backpacking market. Their recent foray, i.e. First Accent gear, looks very nice, although I have not tried it myself.

7:55 a.m. on February 26, 2013 (EST)
TRAILSPACE STAFF
588 reviewer rep
3,051 forum posts

Here's a review of the Eddie Bauer First Ascent The Ignitor +15 bag.

Also, more reviews of the First Ascent brand.

7:10 p.m. on February 26, 2013 (EST)
TOP 25 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
1,160 reviewer rep
605 forum posts

I can't offer any help on the specific items listed but I will echo what most others have said. The FA line is certainly a step in the right direction for a company that got away from actual expedition gear, cough ford explorer cough.

I have a couple pieces which I love. I did a review of the Ignitor which you can see here...

http://www.trailspace.com/gear/eddie-bauer/first-ascent-serrano-jacket/#review24768

I can also second the lamina line from MH. I have the -18F (-26C) and although it is bulky the temp rating might even be conservative which is rare to find in a sleeping bag.

8:00 p.m. on February 26, 2013 (EST)
121 reviewer rep
590 forum posts

I have many FA pieces. I believe I have 6 from their clothing line, and I have been thoroughly impressed by it all. I've used it in quite a variety of extreme weather and situations and it's held up nicely.

This line of products, including their tents and sleeping bags, is not part of the normal fashion line that ordinary people use and wear. This was started just over a year ago for the purpose of getting back into functional mountain clothing and gear, which was how Eddie Bauer first started as a brand.

They are making legit products that compares to anything else in the field and I personally have found the prices to be much more reasonable and they have frequent sales.

September 20, 2014
Quick Reply