Gregory Baltoro 65 or 75?

8:51 p.m. on February 27, 2013 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
8 forum posts

I've decided on a Gregory Baltoro pack, but can't decide if I want to get the 65 or the 75.  My wife is getting a Gregory Jade 60, which I expect her to carry the lighter gear we have, and I'll be carrying the heavy stuff.  I expect us to backpack no more than 3-4 days.

While I backpacked quite a lot as a kid, I haven't done it in 15 years, so I consider myself a newbie.  While the man in me wants to get the biggest pack I can (and figure on just cinching it down when its not full), I think the 65 liter might be better suited to loads I'll actually carry.  I'm 5'8" and 150 lbs, so probably won't be carrying more than 40lbs, but I'm not sure.  If I end up with more I want to be able to carry it comfortably if necessary, but since the wife will have the bulky, light items, I'm thinking I might not actually need all the room.

Thoughts?

9:18 p.m. on February 27, 2013 (EST)
REVIEW CORPS
1,699 reviewer rep
1,308 forum posts

Well, honestly the bestthing to do if you can is to go to a retailer that carries them and load them up with all of your gear and see which one fits best.

That being said, if your only going to have 1 pack then I would go with the 75l. this will give you ample room to pack for any season, extra room for food if you ever decide to do a longer trip etc. The weight difference between the 65 and 75 isn't much(4 ounces), so unless your a super ounce counter then just go with the 75.

I have had a 75l pack for some time now, and have found to have plenty of extra room in summer, a little extra in fall, and it's just right for winter.

Your best bet will be to load one up and see for yourself.

9:20 p.m. on February 27, 2013 (EST)
1,631 reviewer rep
3,962 forum posts

Go with the 75. You can always compress the pack down with the compression straps to a comparable volume of the 65(probably a bit smaller) for less substantial loads but if you get the 65 and ya need to go a little bigger you will be "stuck like Chuck" because you can't make a pack any bigger than it is.

Happy hiking.

-Rick

7:42 a.m. on February 28, 2013 (EST)
TOP 25 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
2,424 reviewer rep
1,291 forum posts

the suspension is exactly the same in both, so they should be equally good at carrying weight.  it's more a matter of volume.  the 75l doesn't weigh much more than it's slightly smaller cousin, so i would opt for the larger one if you aren't sure.

for what it's worth, volume varies slightly with size.  in the large torso size, the 65L is actually closer to 69 liters (i have the 65L - great backpack).  

8:30 a.m. on February 28, 2013 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
8 forum posts

So after a bit of research I came across another question:

A local store fit me to a mens small based on torso length, but the fit was actually based on a womens pack, since they didn't have any mens smalls in stock.  Looking at gregory's web site, they don't list a waist size for the small packs, but the small hipbelt says it fits a 22-28" waist.

Can that be correct?  It seems to me that a small pack should come with the small hipbelt, but the small (womans) pack I tried on had a hipbelt that fit my 30" waist...

9:28 a.m. on February 28, 2013 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
606 forum posts

I have a 65, its my fav pack. The waistbelts are pretty generous, I have a large to fit my torso length, but can use my buddys medium as well. You should find a way to try the fit, in my opinion. Its a great pack, but no pack fits everybody. I got the 65 because I dont think there is 10l's of diff. Ive got two other 65's and the baltoro is considerably bigger, but if your only gonna have one pack maybe the 75 is better.

12:09 p.m. on February 28, 2013 (EST)
REVIEW CORPS
1,699 reviewer rep
1,308 forum posts

You should be able to order a size small pack with a medium hip belt or any combo really, from any reputable outfitter for no additional cost. Or They make just take a hip belt from another pack in the store and give to you. Wherever you buy from this shouldn't be an issue I would think.

10:06 a.m. on March 1, 2013 (EST)
6 reviewer rep
1 forum posts

I to just ordered a Baltoro 75 it should be here next week. My wife ordered a Deva 70 it should be here today. I hope they are good quality packs. And the difference between the 65 and 75 is very little I don't think it would matter unless you can get one cheaper then the other.  

10:58 a.m. on March 1, 2013 (EST)
TOP 25 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
2,424 reviewer rep
1,291 forum posts

therambler is correct about Gregory being willing to sell a pack with a small torso and medium hipbelt, or other variants.  some stores will also do that for you; given the swivel hipbelt, i'm not sure i would want to swap a hipbelt out on my own. 

6:21 p.m. on March 2, 2013 (EST)
12 reviewer rep
843 forum posts

get the 75 with the medium hipbelt. nothing sucks more than an ill fitting pack, except maybe ill fitting boots.

August 27, 2014
Quick Reply