Ideas For Spending Your REI Dividend

11:35 p.m. on April 2, 2013 (EDT)
9 reviewer rep
28 forum posts

The post What Should I Spend My REI Dividend On? originally appeared on TrailPotato.com

Ahhh, spring is in the air. The snow is melting. The snowbirds are coming back from Arizona. And my REI dividend just arrived along with a couple of coupons for 20% off. I bet yours just arrived too and you’re wondering what to spend it one right?

Here are a few ideas for spending your REI dividend:

Katadyn Base Camp Water filter bag. I have one of these and it is awesome. No more pumping water. Just fill the bag and hang it from a tree. Awesome for the BWCA or backpacking.

Get in shape with a Fitbit. Jules and I got these in our stockings this year. This is not your Mom’s 1993 pedometer. It is accurate. Has a cool website and app for your phone. There are a couple different versions to choose from and we went with the Fitbit One which tracks sleep activity in addition to steps.

New trail shoes. This is what I spent my dividend on this year. I looked at these byVasque because I love my Vasque hiking boots. They felt great but I think they might have been a bit heavy-duty and too warm. If a trail requires heavy-duty kicks, I’m going to wear the boots. So, I went with the Merrell Moab’s because they are breathable and very comfortable. Turns out a few of my co-works have them and love them.

Coffee Filter. Forget the instant Folgers you’ve been using to make that sludge you call coffee. Get a decent filter like the MSR Mugmate and bring some good coffee. It is small and light weight. Ounce for ounce it is one of the best additions to my pack!

What are you spending your dividend on?

Read the rest of the post...

12:46 a.m. on April 3, 2013 (EDT)
REVIEW CORPS
1,245 reviewer rep
1,270 forum posts

I bought that pair of Vasque shoes (the Scree 2.0) for a JMT through-hike.  I had some minor foot issues along the way, but I'm sure that had more to do with lack of training than with the shoes.  As the trip wore on I actually started finding the Scree 2.0's comfortable.  Even after that trip they look no different than when I started.

I'm very pleased with these shoes.

I should mention that I replaced the stock insoles with Orange Superfeet.  They felt like they made a big difference in terms of supporting my feet & protecting them from rough terrain underfoot.

I also have a pair of the Merrell Moabs.  While I like them a lot, I find them best suited for very light hiking and/or scrambling around campsites and such, not for extended hiking with a heavy pack.  I find the sole too soft to provide adequate protection in those conditions.

So it depends on the intended use ...

8:18 a.m. on April 3, 2013 (EDT)
9 reviewer rep
28 forum posts

Thanks bheiser... sounds like I made the right choice- I was looking for something lighter for day hikes and everyday hikes. I think the only thing that made it tough was I have loved every pair of Vasque shoes or boots I've ever had

7:34 p.m. on April 3, 2013 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
262 forum posts

As part of my lighter sleep system for snow camping, I bought a CD XTherm, saving me almost a pound and a half over my just sold, old Exped DAM9.  Earlier this winter I bought another GG Nightlight torso length pad to go with the one I already had and got rid of my blue CCF pad, saving me some there too and some bulk.  Next winter I hope to pick up a new pack under 5 lbs. for snow camping, my old ones zippers are going south.  Hoping to get a top loader this time and not have the hassle of closing zippers.

Duane

7:52 p.m. on April 3, 2013 (EDT)
REVIEW CORPS
563 reviewer rep
286 forum posts

I'm picking up the new Garmin Oregon 650t GPS.  :-)

2:32 a.m. on April 4, 2013 (EDT)
102 reviewer rep
2,285 forum posts

Socks, stove fuel canisters and freeze dried stuff.  That is the usual dividend purchases for me.  

This year I will be replacing several worn out items.  I will be getting a NF sleeping bag from REI to replace my aging synthetic fill 20° F bag.  I will also be replacing a worn out down sweater, thermal tights, and a damaged foil topped umbrella I use for both rain and desert sun. But I think I will be ordering these three items directly from them GoLite.

Ed

8:22 a.m. on April 4, 2013 (EDT)
9 reviewer rep
28 forum posts

Those all sound like good choices to me!

12:20 p.m. on April 15, 2013 (EDT)
TOP 25 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
2,424 reviewer rep
1,291 forum posts

i already spent it. combined with the 20% discount they were running to get a very low price on a new pair of fivefinger spyridon LS shoes - to repace the same pair i bought a while ago, the soles really wear out fast on them. 

11:10 a.m. on April 18, 2013 (EDT)
21 reviewer rep
1,137 forum posts

You need help in deciding how to spend your money?

12:38 a.m. on April 23, 2013 (EDT)
REVIEW CORPS
1,195 reviewer rep
1,064 forum posts

I just bought a pair of the New Balance Minimus 20 Trail shoes with my dividend, and look forward to thrashing them about for a bit...

10:54 a.m. on April 23, 2013 (EDT)
GUIDE/OUTFITTER REVIEW CORPS
944 reviewer rep
146 forum posts

New Superfeet, new socks, and dehydrated food!

12:11 p.m. on April 23, 2013 (EDT)
1,631 reviewer rep
3,962 forum posts

i already spent it. combined with the 20% discount they were running to get a very low price on a new pair of fivefinger spyridon LS shoes - to repace the same pair i bought a while ago, the soles really wear out fast on them. 

I had my eye on the Spyridon... May I ask what ya mean by the soles wearing out fast?

2:10 p.m. on April 23, 2013 (EDT)
12 reviewer rep
843 forum posts

all I got with my dividend was a cute little snowpeak lantern...

August 30, 2014
Quick Reply