pocket rocket worthiness?

6:40 p.m. on April 10, 2013 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
22 forum posts

Any body have any advice on the msr pocket rocket? I just replaced my uco candle lantern with a primus micron lantern and am using msr fuel canisters with it, so i was thinking about getting a pocket rocket to replace my dragonfly stove for shorter, warm weather trips, since im already carrying fuel canisters. Whats the burn time on these? Are they any good for actually cooking on, or just boiling water?

7:45 p.m. on April 10, 2013 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
262 forum posts

I had a PR for about 7 years, good stove.  They will simmer, may need a windscreen as they don't come with one, just far enough away to avoid heat build up in the canister.  You can always feel it.  I've used the small MSR brand fuel and had it last 8 days bping, one hot breakfast of instant oatmeal and boiling water for 7 dinners  and the eighth dinner needed a few minutes simmer time.  The new Micro Rockets are supposed to be a little more efficient, but they are loud and seem to concentrate the heat more in one spot, so those may be better for just boiling water.

Duane

8:35 p.m. on April 10, 2013 (EDT)
102 reviewer rep
2,294 forum posts

Pocket rockets can simmer or boil, but not very good at other cook settings such as frying, sautés, etc, as the heat is too focused in too small a zone.

Just curious: why a canister latern instead of a high output LED camp light?

Ed

8:52 p.m. on April 10, 2013 (EDT)
BRAND REP
0 reviewer rep
155 forum posts

For a better flame spread you could look at the Optimus Crux Lite  (apparently it has high CO (carbon monoxide) emissions , so no in tent cooking) or the Snow Peak Lite Max TI, also available as the Kovea KB 0707 (E Bay)

Kovea also make the pocket Rocket and the Micro Rocket for MSR.

I have the original version of the Kovea KB0707, works well.

For better stability , look at the Snow Peak Gigapower.

7:01 p.m. on April 14, 2013 (EDT)
12 reviewer rep
843 forum posts

+1 on the snowpeak gigapower!

11:17 a.m. on April 15, 2013 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
22 forum posts

I wanted to go with a canister lantern over an led for the ambiance more than anything i guess lol.....thanks for the input guys

12:07 p.m. on April 15, 2013 (EDT)
21 reviewer rep
1,159 forum posts

I have an Optimus Crux and like it a lot for backpacking.  It is more stable than the MSR and has better flame control.  They are both good stoves and don't cost much.

7:33 p.m. on April 15, 2013 (EDT)
121 reviewer rep
291 forum posts

There are better stves out there than the pocket rocket. +2 on the Sowpeak Gigapower.

7:39 p.m. on April 15, 2013 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
262 forum posts

I have a Gigapower also, super fast, so many stoves, so little time to give them all a lot of attention.

Duane

1:19 p.m. on April 19, 2013 (EDT)
12 reviewer rep
843 forum posts

who doesn't have a gigapower? they are just bulletproof little stoves. great buy for the money.

12:41 a.m. on May 16, 2013 (EDT)
BRAND REP TOP 10 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
1,988 reviewer rep
476 forum posts

+3 on the GigaPower.

Much as I love MSR, and as much as I love their canister stoves in particular...I'd say the pot supports on the GigaPower are a little beefier and it packs down to a smaller size without making it inconveniently small. 

As small as the MicroRocket is, I always had to leave the plastic case at home to be able to pack inside my GSI cookset. The case - ironically - made it much bulkier than it had to be.

Without the case, though, those thin and long pot supports on the PR are begging to get bent up.

You get what I'm sayin'.

Long story short, go with a GigaPower. 'Nuff said!

September 16, 2014
Quick Reply