Kelty Backpack Identification

2:52 p.m. on May 1, 2013 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
7 forum posts

Greetings from Louisiana!

I found trailspace.com while googling for information about my old backpack.

I took some pictures and was hoping somebody could assist me in identifying the model/year information and perhaps any other information that is relevant to this particular pack.

Any assistance is greatly appreciated!

Kelty-Front.jpg

Kelty-Rear.jpg

9:54 p.m. on May 1, 2013 (EDT)
203 reviewer rep
26 forum posts

Looks like a late 1970's model to me.  Leather lash points went out of style in the 80's.

Mike

10:30 p.m. on May 1, 2013 (EDT)
102 reviewer rep
2,280 forum posts

That looks exactly like my mid 1970s Kelty Sonora.  Yours may be a bit more recent, however, based on the logo patch graphics.  The distinguishing features were the large undivided main compartment, and the long side pocket on one side.  It is my go to pack for trail hikes lasting more than a weekend.  The bar rising above my head is an add-on option that inserts into the top of the frame tubes.  If the color of your pack is as fresh as it looks in the photos, your pack is in excellent shape.

7:56 a.m. on May 2, 2013 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
7 forum posts

Thanks for all the info!

Chris

2:41 p.m. on May 2, 2013 (EDT)
12 reviewer rep
836 forum posts

reminds me of the keltys my brothers had in the seventies. I like the leather lash points.

1:35 a.m. on May 9, 2013 (EDT)
REVIEW CORPS
1,225 reviewer rep
1,261 forum posts

If I remember correctly that is the Mountaineer frame (because of the number of cross braces) (5).

10:53 a.m. on May 11, 2013 (EDT)
102 reviewer rep
2,280 forum posts

bheiser1 said:

If I remember correctly that is the Mountaineer frame (because of the number of cross braces) (5).

Yes.

Ed

11:21 a.m. on May 12, 2013 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
7 forum posts

Just an update:

I performed some maintenance on the pack, including a hand wash with some tech wash and some re-waterproofing.  The wash brought out all the embedded dust and the pack looks almost new again.

I also contacted Kelty because the shoulder straps were so stiff that they were not useable.  Kelty sent replacement straps along with some new Clevis pins.  The customer service was great.  The new shoulder straps are a nice upgrade from the original ones.

We are heading out next weekend for a two-nighter so the old Kelty will get its first use in at least 20 years.  

For a bit of back story:  my father purchased the pack from a garage sale in the mid-80's.  He never used it and it was left in the garage until about a year ago when my mother decided renovate the house and "clean."  I stopped by to check on the progress and noticed the pack in a trash pile next to the 30 yard dumpster being used for demolition.

My timing was pretty good.  :-)

Thanks again for the replies and info!

Chris

July 28, 2014
Quick Reply