Summer kilt season has returned

8:38 a.m. on May 2, 2013 (EDT)
26 reviewer rep
98 forum posts

At least it has in the northeast. 4 straight days of 75+ sunny weather predicted to last through the weekend (even as not all that far in the midwest they are getting 6+ inches of snow.)

Usually around this time of year the Mountain Hardware Elkommando kilt, which I think is one of the best for warm weather hiking, goes on sale at many of the online retailers.  It started yesterday at Mountain Gear selling for $60 (regularly price is $75).  REI, Altrec and others usually follow with similar sales.

This fall and spring, when temperatures remained above 30, I used a Stillwater wool kilt (on the coldest days) and a Stillwater acrylic (the Thrifty Kilt) on less cold days.  Both worked well in their respective temperature ranges, but the thrifty kilt seem a bit warm on last weekend's hike where the temps were in the mid 60's.

2:44 p.m. on May 2, 2013 (EDT)
12 reviewer rep
843 forum posts

is it true what they say about what's under the kilt (or what's not under it!)?

8:53 p.m. on May 2, 2013 (EDT)
26 reviewer rep
98 forum posts

The great benefit of wearing a kilt is that it lets men walk the way nature designed men to walk (without getting arrested.)  I've never seen a stallion or bull with its maleness scrunched up against its pelvis.  

A kilt is not only much more comfortable than shorts, it is much cooler on warm and hot days, and as I learned this winter, a full 8-yard wool kilt is warm enough for me when the temps during the day get above 40.

I prefer to hike commando.  Some men use boxers.  Compression shorts under a kilt seem to me to negate the advantage of a kilt.  The kilts I have are all for hiking, although I could wear the wool kilt off the trail, it just isn't a high end wool kilt.

You may have notice that  kilts at weddings in place of tuxes have become more common.  One problem with that trend is that most formal kilts are very expensive, so instead wedding parties rent kilts, like renting tuxes.  The kilt renting industry looks down upon going commando in a rental kilt because wool can be difficult to clean.

8:14 a.m. on May 3, 2013 (EDT)
59 reviewer rep
270 forum posts

As a former resident, now frequent visitor, of Nova Scotia ("More Scottish than the Scots!") I really don't know why more men don't wear kilts. They look smashing and they've got to be more comfortable than the alternatives. Kilts are perfectly normal everyday wear in Nova Scotia, the fancy dress ones get saved for weddings and whatnot, but many men have basic tartan or twill versions. The military-looking army green ones with cargo pockets are very popular with the cool kids. I've seen mohawked punks in black leather kilts, too. Looks great with Doc Martens.

And if there's a more manly version of the man-purse than a proper sporran, I don't know what it is. Come one, you hikers must have great legs, you can totally carry this off! :) Just a little extra care with the tick check at night, maybe...

10:56 a.m. on May 3, 2013 (EDT)
102 reviewer rep
2,295 forum posts

I have seen too many men that can't keep their junk properly concealed in a pair of shorts - I cannot imagine they'd fair any better in kilts.

Ed

11:39 a.m. on May 3, 2013 (EDT)
26 reviewer rep
98 forum posts

I hear a Mountain Hardware Elkommando for warm weather hiking.  I give it a permethrin treatment every spring.  My warm weather socks and gaiters are also treated with permethrin.  Haven't had a tick on me in years.

williscreeksm.jpg

7:35 p.m. on May 3, 2013 (EDT)
26 reviewer rep
98 forum posts

The wool kilt I wear on a cold late fall morning hike.

The sporran is a Stillwater hiking cargo sporran

woolkiltsm.jpeg

8:14 p.m. on May 3, 2013 (EDT)
59 reviewer rep
270 forum posts

See? Downright dashing, I tell you. Is that a Black Watch kilt?

The hot-weather appeal should be clear, but I bet nogods can tell you, they aren't as cold to wear in winter as you might think. Warm air rises, and the heavier kilts trap it.

Kilts don't really blow around much in the wind either. The heaviness of the wool in this winter kilt prevents it, obviously, but even in a light fabric, the design of the pleats makes it unlikely. The front and back panels want to hang straight and flat, it's the pleats at the side that swing. Anyway, that's part of what your sporran is for. Holding things down. So don't worry, you'll be charming, not alarming, the wildlife. :)

7:58 p.m. on May 4, 2013 (EDT)
12 reviewer rep
843 forum posts

who knew...

11:50 a.m. on May 5, 2013 (EDT)
26 reviewer rep
98 forum posts

From yesterday's bushwhack in Allegany State Park.

groupsm.jpg

But, even better than a kilt is my hiking hammock that I use for mid-hik naps, also from yesterday's hike:

hammocksm.jpg

9:08 p.m. on May 8, 2013 (EDT)
1,357 reviewer rep
1,339 forum posts

Just can't wrap my head around the idea, in spite of a Scots/Irish background and a few male relatives who still wear them on formal occasions.

Too many horsefly and deerfly bites, and too many scratches in inconvenient places just from wearing shorts, let alone a kilt. 

Not insulting your preferences, Nogods, just saying I don't think I could handle it. 

9:48 p.m. on May 8, 2013 (EDT)
26 reviewer rep
98 forum posts

A kilt protects as well as shorts but with out the discomfort. 

Lower legs are protected by gaiters when needed, same as with a pair of shorts.

Ticks and flies don't go where they aren't wanted because of bug spray on my exposed legs and permethrine used on my clothing - same as with a pair of shorts.

The kilt is more effective at keeping low brush away from the crotch area than a pair of shorts because it has a double apron across the front that acts a unified single barrier, like a dam holding back water.  A pair of shorts is like a ravine directing low brush right at your most sensitive area.

A pair of loose fitting boxers could be worn under the kilt for modesty or added protection without significantly impinging on the benefits of a kilt.  To achieve the same comfortable level with shorts the crotch would have to be below mid-thigh, making walking difficult.

I understand your concerns.  I had the same concerns before I tried a kilt.  But a few hikes convinced me that those concerns were misplaced.

I treat my kilts as hiking equipment.  Like snowshoes, they are worn when appropriate for the conditions, not worn when not appropriate.  But I can't think of any situation in which shorts would be appropriate when a kilt was not.  For example, in a few weeks I'll be leading a hike through an area with a mixed plantation of leafy undergrowth, some of which may be poison ivy or oak.  shorts and kilts are both ill advised for that hike. 

As you can see from the picture, the kilt is not the most unusual thing one comes across in the middle of the woods.

tubpic1sm.jpeg

8:22 a.m. on May 9, 2013 (EDT)
MODERATOR TOP 10 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
6,291 reviewer rep
832 forum posts

I would think a kilt would help prevent crotch rot.

I'm not ready to go that route, but a while back I asked myself why I was spending so much on hiking shorts and specialized underwear, when  cheap pair of swim trunks gives me much more "freedom." They are also great for rainy day hiking and stream crossings. Because I can get 'em for $6 on clearance at Walmart, I'm not worried about the cost of ruining a pair.

208644_10151374499586129_386945412_n.jpg

3:31 p.m. on May 9, 2013 (EDT)
1,357 reviewer rep
1,339 forum posts

PS: I don't wear shorts anymore, for the same reasons. Even zip-off convertibles only get used at elevation on barren tundra.

12:13 p.m. on May 15, 2013 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
40 forum posts

I've been backpacking in a a quilt for years. I love it. I resist wearing anything else. It's also what I am usually wearing around the house. If you aren't wearing a kilt, you should at least try it, it's amazing! I have two Sport Kilts. Is it OK if I put up my blog post about it? http://www.ardethgear.com/1/post/2012/06/backpacking-in-a-kilt-and-sandals.htm

12:26 p.m. on May 15, 2013 (EDT)
1,357 reviewer rep
1,339 forum posts

Ummm, backpacking in a quilt? 

(darned auto-correct!) :-)

7:32 p.m. on May 15, 2013 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
430 forum posts

Islandess said:

See? Downright dashing, I tell you. Is that a Black Watch kilt?

The hot-weather appeal should be clear, but I bet nogods can tell you, they aren't as cold to wear in winter as you might think. Warm air rises, and the heavier kilts trap it.

Kilts don't really blow around much in the wind either. The heaviness of the wool in this winter kilt prevents it, obviously, but even in a light fabric, the design of the pleats makes it unlikely. The front and back panels want to hang straight and flat, it's the pleats at the side that swing. Anyway, that's part of what your sporran is for. Holding things down. So don't worry, you'll be charming, not alarming, the wildlife. :)

Yeah that is Black Watch. I know it well as MacKay is very close in the modern tartan. 

I do not use bug dope and i really must wonder how a kilt would work where I live in Tamworth NH right now. We have black flies out somewhat early right now.

In know by the fact of making my own paint 'War Paint' that with iron oxide, a variety of oils and grease from bear/raccoon to suntan lotions with coconut oils bugs will die on contact.

Which is probably why bugs don't do skin so soft well. But then i don't paint the hardware either, but it gets close wearing a traditions eastern breech clout.

My kilt is 9 yds of wool, no sewing what so ever and so it just gets pleated and folded in the old way, and I wear native mocs on my feet with it. Center seams or pucker toe.

I would be curious to know what strangers say or do?

You don't even want to know what strangers say or do when they see me like this! 
1812.jpg

And why is there a bath tub in the woods? Was the plan to have someone for dinner? 

7:44 p.m. on May 15, 2013 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
430 forum posts

Jeffery Gosnell said:

I would think a kilt would help prevent crotch rot.

I'm not ready to go that route, but a while back I asked myself why I was spending so much on hiking shorts and specialized underwear, when  cheap pair of swim trunks gives me much more "freedom." They are also great for rainy day hiking and stream crossings. Because I can get 'em for $6 on clearance at Walmart, I'm not worried about the cost of ruining a pair.

208644_10151374499586129_386945412_n.jpg

Look to church stores..... My wife takes things we no longer wish to have and comes back with things we may wish to have by the bag full. This night she scored light weight shorts for me, by the brand name of Geoffrey Beene. 50% rayon a blend of a cotton I believe, and 50% polester. If the pockets were mesh these would be fairly quick drying. better quality that Dockers in lighter weight material in a olive drab.

I am also lucky to live near IME in N Conway where they have a great consignment gear shop, and a few days ago scored TNF climbing shorts with a upside down zipper for 5 bucks.

Due to a recent change in age body type problem all my pants and shorts became too small. I went from 32 waist to 34 but find clothing in 36 suitable for tucking in shirts or wanting 'freedom' as people put it.

I have more or less gone commando most of my life just not liking the icky pressed parts feeling.

The result is i don't own a thing like BVD's or boxers even. I know too much information didn't need. ;-)

In long enough jeans i don't have any problem concealing my junk ... LOL

Nice goose quill too....... 

9:14 p.m. on May 15, 2013 (EDT)
26 reviewer rep
98 forum posts

The bathtub was in the middle of nowhere, but was not far from what appeared to have been an old horse trail, long since overgrown.  Another member of the hiking party suggested that perhaps horseback riders had dragged it up there to collect rainwater for the horses as there are no creeks or streams on that ridge.

9:27 p.m. on May 15, 2013 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
430 forum posts

nogods said:

The bathtub was in the middle of nowhere, but was not far from what appeared to have been an old horse trail, long since overgrown.  Another member of the hiking party suggested that perhaps horseback riders had dragged it up there to collect rainwater for the horses as there are no creeks or streams on that ridge.

I used to have a friend that dragged off 2 old 1895 claw foot tubs made of black iron and he set them up on bricks to build a fire under so he and a friend could take in the view on a cold raw gray day ...... I used to accuse him of being a cannibal :-)

I am musing the kilt idea over still and wonder about the damned bugs too. I am not about to start using bug dope. That stuff is just totally disagreeable to me. For many years i worked with a lot of chems and I just don't anymore.

12:49 p.m. on May 16, 2013 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
40 forum posts

Yeah . . . autocorrect.

8:34 p.m. on May 16, 2013 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
430 forum posts

Did 'diana's baths bartlett nh' today. Not a real hike but pretty location. The skeeters are out... I looked a sight in my black leather riding jacket jeans and limmer boots. At least the skeeters were stumped.

Found a deep narrow pot hole 7.5' deep with water flowing into it. I just wonder how many par of sun glasses are down in that hole. LOL

I did get to beat up 3 other peoples dogs. :-) 

Dogs at least love me...

8:36 a.m. on June 1, 2013 (EDT)
REVIEW CORPS
1,846 reviewer rep
1,317 forum posts

After much thought and toying with the idea for a year or so now I finally bought a MH elkommando kilt. Got it at REI with the 20% off coupon.

Despite MUCH laughter and teasing, and just all out heckling from my wife. I tried it on and i have to say I think I am going to really like it.

Will post up my thoughts and a review after I had had a chance to use it for a while.

p.s. My wife is quite a mean person come to find out, lol.

10:41 a.m. on June 1, 2013 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
430 forum posts

Rambler, Next go with a breech clout. That'll fix her :-)

Lets say you are 6 ft tall. In that case you need a belt and a piece of cloth 6 inches wide and 72 inches long if you are the daring type.

Mine are somewhat wider than 6 inches wide.

I set it so the ft hem is above my knees, and pray the back ends up 2 inches lower than the ft hem.

Several of mine have a red cloth tongue pinned under the ft flap for the wet breech clout contests in primitive camps. Don't let the ladies BS you, they love that stuff. ;-)

4:07 p.m. on June 1, 2013 (EDT)
REVIEW CORPS
1,245 reviewer rep
1,307 forum posts

This whole kilt thing is so tempting.  Hmmm ...

Last year I pushed the limits by wearing brightly colored gaiters on the second half of my JMT trip.  Will it be a kilt this year? <grin>

8:39 p.m. on June 1, 2013 (EDT)
12 reviewer rep
843 forum posts

go for the commando kilt thing! :]

8:22 a.m. on June 2, 2013 (EDT)
REVIEW CORPS
770 reviewer rep
1,285 forum posts

I go every year to the Grandfather Mountain Highland Games for camping and fellowship. Here is my friends dress kilt used for special occasions and Clan meetings

Grandfather-2012-037.jpg

9:05 a.m. on June 2, 2013 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
430 forum posts

Lets us pray..........................................

that no hunters are about :-)

I bet he likes showing hus Badger to all the girls eh?

8:11 a.m. on June 3, 2013 (EDT)
MODERATOR TOP 10 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
6,291 reviewer rep
832 forum posts

I'm in a section of the country where "NorthFace" is a fashion, not outdoor gear (for that reason, I intentionally don't own anything that says NF!). Suffice it to say, I don't find much at my local thrift shops.

Actually, I go to a conference in Boulder, CO every year, and I fly out with an empty suitcase just so I can fill it up with consignment stuff.

3:31 p.m. on June 4, 2013 (EDT)
12 reviewer rep
843 forum posts

nice tie! I imagine he was the only one dressed to the nines.

October 23, 2014
Quick Reply