TEK2.5 ripstop nylon to compare to??

2:37 p.m. on May 11, 2013 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
430 forum posts

TEK2.5 ripstop nylon for increased breathability and moisture protection....

This TEK2.5 material doesn't show on the chart here

http://www.sierratradingpost.com/lp2/waterproof-guide/

scroll down 1/2 way.

Looking at this long raincoat in moss.........

http://www.llbean.com/llb/shop/68420?feat=63187-ppxs&dds=y

7:47 p.m. on May 11, 2013 (EDT)
REVIEW CORPS
1,861 reviewer rep
1,325 forum posts

I would say its probably something similar to a marmot precip etc. It's a 2.5 layer jacket with a "breathable" membrane.

10:13 p.m. on May 11, 2013 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
430 forum posts

Thanks that is a fair start. I am not very familiar with modern rain coats.  The 60/40 i wear isn't very water proof at all, and for a very long time i wore waxed egyption cotton in a 1761 cut. That is a year.. not code.

Today i just got back and i think I got lucky maybe with a vintage EMS gore tex jacket. I think it is old 3 layer gore tex and this jacket has a fairly heavy feel since it has a mesh liner. One interesting thing about it is a lable for no other reason than wind chart.

This jacket will be the standard by which any other jackets will be judged.

Already I see several differences due to the age and the tech as compared to more modern LL Bean jacket and a The North Face jacket i bought recently for my wife.

All 3 are Gore Tex.

The goal in a mid thigh length mt parka unlined and pretty water tight to be used in all 4 season in NH. Something pretty rugged that can take some brush bustin too.

I am not so sure anyone makes such a thing anymore.

7:35 a.m. on May 12, 2013 (EDT)
REVIEW CORPS
1,861 reviewer rep
1,325 forum posts

Well this jacket you linked to at llbean is not goretex. Are you looking for a goretex jacket? If you are looking for a "brush busting" goretex jacket then I would highly recommend a military surplus ecwcs goretex parka, they are tough as nail and pretty darn cheap too if you shop around.

No mainstream rain jacket is going to be real tough, the current trend is for light an breathable. An the "tough" jackets I have seen over the last few years are far from it.

If you want tough, and don't mind a camp pattern, you can't beat the mil surplus ecwcs parkas. Should be able to fine one for 50ish easy

11:29 a.m. on May 12, 2013 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
430 forum posts

What I am looking for is a woolrich 60-40 that is in a earthy tone, same cut and rain proof for a good long tome in a drencher.

60/40 cloth isn't. In a hard rain with no wind the 60-40 is good for about 45 minutes...

I can do camo ok.... There are times where i don't really want it though. But then i don't need bright red, screaming yellow, panic orange unless i am deer hunting. Green drabs work, but not all black.....

I am a motorcycle rider and still i am not into all black. I have seen SWAT gear which is stupidly all black and you just can't find anything when all the gear is black inside a black pack.

Lighter gray and mixed winter black and off white camo could be ok.

I never heard of TEK2.5, but know people here will have.

The 2 jackets I found used for my wife are far lighter in weight than the EMS coat I bought yesterday used.

Hers have a gray or silver looking mesh that seems welded to the fabric. The far older EMS has a large open mesh that looks like canning on a Old Town Canoe seat :-)

This EMS coat has a few features i am not sure what they are for yet. One is that just around the hips below the snow seal there are tabs with snaps, but the tabs are very short and the snaps just form small loops.

Like i said the tag for the wind chill is interesting.... I wish that tag was in better shape since it is very worn.

This is one way of how i learn. Thanks for the info and sticking with it.

3:32 p.m. on May 12, 2013 (EDT)
REVIEW CORPS
1,861 reviewer rep
1,325 forum posts

tek2.5 nylon is just simply 2.5 layer nylon. It's just a trademarked/brand name. it's the basic style most modern relatively inexpensive waterproof jackets are made in. Almost every company that makes jackets have several in the 2.5 style. it's simply 2 layers of nylon with a breathable membrane.

Almost all of the jackets on that list you linked are of the standard 2.5 design, each company just has their own style of membrane and so they call it a special name. Goretex and event being the more well known. Not all are created equal either as some are more delicate than others, loose breath ability over time if not properly cleaned, just not that breathable in general etc.

Essentially what I am saying is there is no major difference between jacket A made with tek2.5 and , jacket B made with marmot precip 2.5 fabric, or jacket C made with MH DryQ2.5.

The only difference is the actual materials as each company uses a slightly different membrane, shell, and liner material . All 3 of the fabrics I mentioned above will probably be very close in performance with only minor differences.

3:34 p.m. on May 12, 2013 (EDT)
REVIEW CORPS
1,861 reviewer rep
1,325 forum posts

Those snaps are probably to connect the jacket to its corresponding rain pants, it is a fairly common feature.

6:55 p.m. on May 12, 2013 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
430 forum posts

Ok I understand that concept as my riding jackets have zippers for rain pants and or crash pants,  so in a slide (god forbid) your riding jacket won't ride up and leave flesh to pavement. I don't ride that way...

There is a saying: There are old riders, and there are bold riders, but there are no old bold riders. I am kinda old... :-)

I had no idea about what you just related.... The old Gore tex I knew would leak water in..... I am more concerned with getting wet from rain than I am from sweating.

I would like to be able to stand in a heavy rain and stay dry... better stand in a hard blown rain and stay dry.. maybe even kneel down on wet earth and  stay dry. So with my limited experience in gore tex it's good for wind.

The 60-40 works great so long as it is too cold to rain.... The problem is in NH it can be February and 55 degrees and rain, then drop like mad and be -10 and far colder.

A jacket that can shed water, keep me dry as a shell so i can wear it in all 4 seasons would be great so long as it would keep me dry from the outside in.

I know about waxed cotton.... I know to turn it inside out after a time.. and to let any wool shirts (2) get air and dry. That is with no rain..

I know what old rainsuits made for summit clothing was... Dreadful stuff.

Can you get military surplus ecwcs goretex parka with little to no liner? A bare shell pretty much?

9:10 p.m. on May 12, 2013 (EDT)
REVIEW CORPS
1,861 reviewer rep
1,325 forum posts

There will always be a liner in all of these types of jackets. The liner prevents your body oils and dirt from directly contacting the breathable/waterproof membrane, also protecting it from damage. Without a liner the jacket would become useless in a short period of time.

The mil surplus ecwcs doesn't have a mesh liner though if that's what your referring to.

9:25 p.m. on May 12, 2013 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
430 forum posts

Warm liners are more or less what I mean, The Woolrich 60-40s have a thin cotton(poplin), nylon liner, and some have a thin wool liner. I prefer the nylon or poplin so I can wear the coat in summer too.

If the 60-40 were rain tight i would like it all year long. That cut coat works the best for me. So i compare that coat to anything else. If it just stopped rain it would be a win win for me.

I googled up mil surplus ecwcs parkas and came to level 2 to level 7 plus generation 3. What is all that about?

I failed to find any definitions. I know certain clothing has some form of electronic signal identity devices, but i don't want or need anything like that here in NH.. Do these classes and or levels of gear have anything to do with notions like that?

9:50 p.m. on May 12, 2013 (EDT)
REVIEW CORPS
1,861 reviewer rep
1,325 forum posts

No, it's all just basically when it was made, there were some minor changes between the different generations. pay no attention to the level, tht is just what clothing/layering system it is referencing to which means nothing to you if your just wanting to buy the jacket. the only real changes between the different generations was the camp pattern changed to include different color options, and a few pocket locations were moved slightly to allow better access when wearing body armor and or a pack.

9:55 p.m. on May 12, 2013 (EDT)
REVIEW CORPS
1,861 reviewer rep
1,325 forum posts

Oh, forgot to add: No, there is not a cold weather liner in the ecwcs jackets. The military moved away from cold weather liners in favor of layering. the ecwcs parka is meant to be an external shell only over all of your other stuff. They are tough as nails and I love mine. I am still using mine for backpacking and the pants too, with no holes or damage and I have been using them for About 13 years now. I used them through quite a few deployments, and hundreds of miles backpacking and they are still going strong. truly a tough piece of gear.

10:09 a.m. on May 13, 2013 (EDT)
MODERATOR REVIEW CORPS
998 reviewer rep
3,556 forum posts

I may have to try a ecwcs Rambler, I have looked at them in my local Army/Navy surplus store.

I have a Marmot Precip jacket, it is a good jacket for hiking trails or open areas, but I use an older, much tougher EMS goretex jacket for bushwacking. Columbia Sportswear used to sell the same jacket, I have one of each actually.

The heavier EMS jacket isn't nearly as packable as the Marmot, but you can get rough with it walking through heavy growth.

Mike G.

10:22 a.m. on May 13, 2013 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
430 forum posts

I just got a lesson over to moosejaw com.... manufacturers have totally forgotten what a parka is and how to make one..

These days fashion goes around exposed zippers.... The hell with that, and all short jackets like sailors wore in 1812!

Not one gore tex parka comes close to 34 /35 inches from the neck center back down. That means you get to sit in a puddle if there is a puddle and or on a cold rock or log with no parka under yer butt.

Exposed zippers went by the boards in 72' and a nice flap was over them with a velcro strip in case the zipper did go south. If there were not velcros then there were snaps.

There were about 2 parkas there i would buy if they were 100 bucks, but these were closer to 500..... total schlock I could sew up my own for less and do a fair enough job. maybe I will, but i would hate to cut up my old 60-40 just for a decent pattern.

It sounds like i need to follow your lead.... I get it there is a light liner.. That is what i am after as I do the layering thing myself.

us-at-champney-falls.jpg

I have on the XL woolrich and my bride has on a L, otherwise these are the same thing, same color less sun and age, and ok color with conceal zipps, and ok snaps over the zips.

They have cargo pockets and handwarmers you can't use with  a pack belt but i don't always have a pack, but i do always have hands.

Sorry ranting.... It's just after looking at every single jacket at moose jaw i am frustrated. They need a center back criteria so you don't have to see every little monkey jacket they got to find out they don't have a parka....

Thanks for stickin' in there.

10:31 a.m. on May 13, 2013 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
430 forum posts

trouthunter said:

I may have to try a ecwcs Rambler, I have looked at them in my local Army/Navy surplus store.

I have a Marmot Precip jacket, it is a good jacket for hiking trails or open areas, but I use an older, much tougher EMS goretex jacket for bushwacking. Columbia Sportswear used to sell the same jacket, I have one of each actually.

The heavier EMS jacket isn't nearly as packable as the Marmot, but you can get rough with it walking through heavy growth.

Mike G.

yeah me too.

I have 2 older ones and there is a funny fit at the base of my neck... Like the entire weight of the parka is born on that big bone behind your neck, C-7.

Maybe the newer have a better fit. I don't pack parkas I wear them, and some times in a tea shirt. Other times in a duofold, with 2 wool shirts and maybe a down vest.

December 20, 2014
Quick Reply