Kelty vs. Eureka

7:16 p.m. on May 13, 2013 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
3 forum posts

I am new to this website but have used it for gear reviews and comparison before. I am debating between these 2 tents.

Kelty Trail Ridge 3

Eureka Taron 3

I was a boy scout and have done many backpacking trips and I really like the 2 door design as well as the aluminum poles. The price is close enough to not be important as well as the size and interior space. The weight is also very close and does not concern me for the tents future use. 

My question is which tent and why?

Thanks for the help

6:29 a.m. on May 14, 2013 (EDT)
REVIEW CORPS
1,846 reviewer rep
1,312 forum posts

Based off of those two specific tents only, i would say the Kelty. Because they are very similar i would lean towards the kelty because it is lighter, 8oz is 8 oz.

That being said, you will find that people will give you tons of recommendations and advice here if you provide a bit more information. Such as where you plan on using it, when you plan on using it(season/time of year), how many people and or animals will be using it. How many days a year you expect to use it.

With more information we can help you make a much more educated decision.

12:53 p.m. on May 14, 2013 (EDT)
MODERATOR REVIEW CORPS
658 reviewer rep
2,148 forum posts

Off hand, I'd say the Kelty, especially if it is lighter. I own a eureka tent that has been an acceptable tent, but I think Kelty's quality and design tend to be a bit better. 

8:47 a.m. on May 15, 2013 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
3 forum posts

Thanks for the advice. I am planning on using it for general summer camping trips and pretty much just summer. Either with the family or with my girlfriend.

I will most likely take it to the mountains at least once a year, but will also be using it at campgrounds. There will be 2 people in the tent but having backpacked in the past with our 3 man tent i like the extra space.

I will probably be using the tent 2-3 weeks out of the year.

Being a boy scout in the past I take good care of my gear and want a tent that will last a very long time. I also want to stay between 150 and 200 dollars. Any advice on any tent would be appreciated.

Thank you for your responses.

8:59 a.m. on May 15, 2013 (EDT)
1,631 reviewer rep
3,962 forum posts

mjklotzb said:

Any advice on any tent would be appreciated.

Thank you for your responses.

Oooh, the flood gates have now been opened(it is a good thing being you are opening your parameters to manufacturers other than Eureka & Kelty.)

If you haven't come to a decision by the time I get back I will post on this thread in regards to a few options when I get back from my wet slog in the hills. 

Gonna be hard to post links and a long drawn out response from a smartphone with a blown scree. 

Btw, welcome to Trailspace. 

Happy hiking-Rick

8:38 a.m. on May 20, 2013 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
3 forum posts

I found the Midori Eureka 3 and it looks like a pretty good tent what do you guys think?

Any other ideas would be good too just trying to get the best tent for under $200.

Thanks 

September 21, 2014
Quick Reply