Looking for a weekend/overnight pack.

11:05 p.m. on May 21, 2013 (EDT)
1,631 reviewer rep
3,962 forum posts

So I am looking for an overnight/weekend pack for lighter trips. Yep, you read that right, lighter trips. 

I am in the process of putting together a lightweight(I will not say UL yet) kit for quick trips and need a pack to fit my needs

Osprey's fit me very well and I was looking at the Atmos 50. 

I have a Stratos 26 but there is noway in Hades I can go that light. I am use to using and 85L pack or larger. 

Any suggestions on other options out there that might be viable for this packmule?

I kinda need to do this quick because the Beer & Gear is coming up at Ohiopyle on June 15th and I kinda want to turn this into a trip(overnight, maybe 2 day.)

Thanks in advance everyone. 

-Rick

12:19 a.m. on May 22, 2013 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
109 forum posts

I wouldn't call it "lightweight", but have you looked at Camelbak's TriZip?  That Mystery Ranch suspension is pretty darn nice.

9:55 a.m. on May 22, 2013 (EDT)
REVIEW CORPS
1,846 reviewer rep
1,312 forum posts

If you like Osprey, then check out the Exos line. About a pound lighter than the atmos line for comparable sizes.

11:09 a.m. on May 22, 2013 (EDT)
TRAILSPACE STAFF
410 reviewer rep
1,057 forum posts

Rick - You should consider some of the lighter Granite Gear packs. 

Granite Gear Crown V.C. 60  or the mens version of the Granite Gear Blaze AC 60 Ki.

Both have some suspension and might be good for "bridging the gap" between your current pack and some of the much lighter packs with no frame.

7:11 p.m. on May 22, 2013 (EDT)
1,631 reviewer rep
3,962 forum posts

Thanks for the suggestions so far.

@ TheRambler- From what I am seeing there are a few instances where people were referencing durability issues with the Exos. I like the pack but a photo I saw of a shredded backpanel worries me a bit.

I am not what one would refer to as being "easy" on gear. 

@ Seth- I like the Blaze but would most certainly have to get the top lid option for this model.

The Leopard AC 58 looks interesting and I know it is more geared towards the alpine crowd but I kinda like it. 

This might be pushing it a bit but are there any waterproof models out there?

If we were talking large capacity packs I am pretty dialed in to what is currently available. 

Overnight/weekend pack?

Not so much. 

7:44 p.m. on May 22, 2013 (EDT)
REVIEW CORPS
1,846 reviewer rep
1,312 forum posts

You may want to start being a little more gentle and kind to your gear if your wanting to go light weight haha. In my experiences the lighter weight items are not usually as durable as their heavier kin. But that is the trade off. You can trim weight off a pack by cutting off excess straps etc, but to truly go lightweight you either have to use thinner less durable material or use much more expensive "high tech" fabric.

7:46 p.m. on May 22, 2013 (EDT)
1,631 reviewer rep
3,962 forum posts

Makes sense. 

What are the thoughts on cuben fiber?

Wow this is tough. My packs average around 6lbs(okay, Big Blue is a lil over) so I really don't have to go sul but I would like to drop my pack weight to around maybe 30-35lbs max on trail. 

I would also still like to be able to run a bladder. 

My typical trail weight is 60+...

Sometimes closer to 80lbs.

...then again this is a winter week long weight. 

7:56 p.m. on May 22, 2013 (EDT)
REVIEW CORPS
1,846 reviewer rep
1,312 forum posts

Cuben fiber is fairly tough/durable, waterproof, light weight, expensive , and noisy!

It's really awesome stuff but I sold my Cuben tarp because the noise drove me insane. It's very "crinkly" is the only way I can describe it. It's also pretty translucent I.e you can see through it fairly well. I didn't really care for the noise or the translucentness.

8:01 p.m. on May 22, 2013 (EDT)
REVIEW CORPS
1,846 reviewer rep
1,312 forum posts

Bet advice I can give to save a lot of weight is to: get a light weight pack, get a nice tarp and a small ground cloth and leave the tent at home, use an alcohol stove

Those 3 alone should drop a substantial amount of weight. provided you leave other items at home also you could easily reach your weight goal.

9:49 p.m. on May 22, 2013 (EDT)
1,631 reviewer rep
3,962 forum posts

Yeah, I am considering the alcohol stove route and leaving the tent, etc.

I am also considering giving a hammock a whirl but that will be for another thread.

I am thinking a hammock might be a nice option for my shorter trips(3 season.)

For longer trips and colder weather I am a tent guy all the way.

12:26 a.m. on May 23, 2013 (EDT)
REVIEW CORPS
1,846 reviewer rep
1,312 forum posts

Glad to hear your gonna give hanging a shot. Just be warned you may never go back! haha

1:40 a.m. on May 23, 2013 (EDT)
447 reviewer rep
277 forum posts

Osprey EXOS 58

'Nuff sed.

11:14 a.m. on May 23, 2013 (EDT)
MODERATOR TOP 10 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
2,746 reviewer rep
347 forum posts

Rick,

I have the Osprey Aura 50. I love it. I definitely recommend the Atmos 50. There are only two complaints that I have about mine:

1) The lid could be more spacious

2) Due to the suspension system, the interior of the pack is narrow. I am pretty sure that this is true with most Osprey packs though. 

The suspension and padding are wonderful and it is very comfortable. I am currently testing a similar pack that is substantially more expensive, but I wouldn't trade that pack for my Aura in a million years.

I also should note that I have two friends with the Osprey Exos and they both rave about it. 

I hope this helps!

- Ashleigh

1:54 p.m. on May 23, 2013 (EDT)
41 reviewer rep
1 forum posts

I have used manny different brands of packs over the years , but none have ever matched up to my GG Gorilla pack ! Check it out watch the video they provide and check out the customer satisfaction ratings ! It has only a couple of rivals ! You can dial your own comfort in with this pack just by loading it correctly ! Good luck and questions on this please give me a shout !

3:02 p.m. on May 23, 2013 (EDT)
24 reviewer rep
1 forum posts

I can +1 the Exos line from Osprey. To go a step further, I like Gossamer Gear, but they lack the adjustability of the ULA packs (disclaimer: I have a ULA Ohm 2.0 provided to me at wholesale). GG may not be able to handle the loads you're talking about, but I don't know for sure; I do like their design. No reason you shouldn't be able to get down to a 2-3 pound pack with a moderate investment.

I would offer up that alcohol stoves have some significant disadvantages, the primary one being safety. I note to you that a wildfire in Colorado last year and one in California this year were caused by experienced hikers with alcohol stoves. One of the reasons I switched to Esbit this year. If that's too extreme and you're looking for a quick solution, John Abela (HikeLighter dot com) really seems to like the Jetboil Sol Ti canister stove.

Happy Trails!

Rick

6:32 p.m. on May 23, 2013 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
1 forum posts

The REI Flash 45 is a bargain, especially while it is on sale (like now!) It is the most comfortable lightweight pack I have worn.

8:02 a.m. on May 24, 2013 (EDT)
REVIEW CORPS
1,846 reviewer rep
1,312 forum posts

@rburtt I prefer using an alcohol stove with a wicking material so it won't leak or spill out just for that reason. Only adds like .25-.5 oz to the eight but makes them dramatically safer.

11:33 a.m. on May 27, 2013 (EDT)
1,631 reviewer rep
3,962 forum posts

@ TheRambler- I know this is steering a little bit away from the initial topic(packs) but are there any alchy stoves you might be able to steer me too that have the wicking material that you mention?

I have looked at one by Mini Bull but am not really familiar with other manufacturers out there.

2:51 p.m. on May 27, 2013 (EDT)
REVIEW CORPS
1,846 reviewer rep
1,312 forum posts

Rick, I really like Zelph Stove Works stoves. A great stand up guy hand makes each and everyone, and I have been nothing but happy with the two that I own. His prices seem very reasonable to me, and if you want to talk to him about a stove before you purchase one just shoot him an email or give him a call. Great guy, great products, great customer service.

http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/

I own the companion burner for wood stoves, and the starlyte stove.

Several of the stoves he makes has the wicking medium to hold the fuel. The nice thing about these is if you either purchase a lid or make one you can snuff if out easily to save fuel. Where as with a typical alcohol stove you just have to let it burn out. You can literally hold these stoves upside down and no fuel will come out unless you have it overfilled to the point where the wicking medium is saturated.

Zelph is very active member over at whiteblaze.net, and many many people use his stoves.

I highly recommend his stoves to anyone looking for an alcohol stove that doesnt have the means, time, or interest in making one themselves.

12:33 p.m. on May 28, 2013 (EDT)
21 reviewer rep
1,165 forum posts

For short trips nearly any pack will do.  It is a good time to experiment and try something radical like wrapping your gear in a tarp and not using a pack at all.

1:01 p.m. on May 28, 2013 (EDT)
REVIEW CORPS
1,846 reviewer rep
1,312 forum posts

Any pack will not do. You can wear just any ole pack, but when it comes to being comfortable and having a good time a comfortable pack is an essential part of that. Yes you can physically wear any pack on any trip, but do you really want to when you have other options? There is a night and day difference between a bag with straps, and a well constructed pack with a good frame, adjustments etc.

9:49 a.m. on May 29, 2013 (EDT)
21 reviewer rep
1,165 forum posts

Many people are carrying 15 pounds for an overnight trip.  A day pack can handle a load like that.  This is a gearhead forum, so I don't expect most people to agree with that. 

1:36 p.m. on May 29, 2013 (EDT)
TOP 25 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
2,439 reviewer rep
1,293 forum posts

if osprey fits you well, i'm sure you will find something they make that works for you in their lighter weight category.  i'm not a big fan of the atmos because i don't like the curve in the back and the corresponding narrowing in the pack bag.  my opinion again, but better off with the exos packs if you can keep your weight down. 

if you are are looking for alternatives in the light but not insanely light spectrum, i might consider the following:

-REI flash 45 or 62

-Lowe Alpine Airzone Pro 45:55

-the various granite gear backpacks

-the options from ULA

-the lost coast boreas 45 or 60

(i have used and reviewed the first two.  i would consider the latter three on reputation but haven't done more than try them on or eyeball them.  comfortable to wear and interesting designs, but i just don't have experience with them on trips). 

when i can keep my pack weight to 25 pounds or less, i find that i don't really need a hip belt, and that any large daypack with decent shoulder straps will do - so i agree with Pine in that regard.  for me, that's the mystery ranch snapdragon (not lightweight but very comfortable - my favorite overnight backpack) and the frameless cold cold world ozone.  both also reviewed on this site. 

2:34 p.m. on May 29, 2013 (EDT)
REVIEW CORPS
1,846 reviewer rep
1,312 forum posts

My entire point being there is alot more to a comfortable backpack than just being a big sack with some straps on it, no matter what weight you are carrying.

There is a reason why packs like the MR snap dragon , the REI flash, golite Jam etc sell. If it didn't matter people would just be running around with reusuable grocery bags tied to their backs with rope.

A well designed pack is a comfortable pack, part of pack design is user comfort. If comfort didn't matter then there wouldn't be much of a market for backpacks because anything would do.

I agree that a hipbelt is not needed with very light loads. I have a camelbak Linchpin(uses the Mystery Ranch future harness/frame) and it is my goto pack if my entire load out will be below 25lbs or so(including food and water)

4:42 p.m. on May 29, 2013 (EDT)
TOP 25 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
1,202 reviewer rep
605 forum posts

Rick, I recently got the boreas lost coast 60 as my lightweight pack. Bought it completely on a whim, which I almost never do, without any research because I was so impressed with it. You can take a look at it here....

http://www.rei.com/product/839704/boreas-lost-coast-60-pack-mens

I've been super happy with it, although in limited testing time, so far.

5:54 p.m. on May 29, 2013 (EDT)
12 reviewer rep
843 forum posts

look at the rei flash 45. I have this pack and couldn't be happier with it.

11:59 a.m. on May 30, 2013 (EDT)
87 reviewer rep
1,063 forum posts

ULA Catalyst,Max load is 30 pounds just what your looking for,Have we touched on you going lighter before?

September 23, 2014
Quick Reply