Considering a TT Moment DW for 4 seasons

1:36 a.m. on May 23, 2013 (EDT)
493 reviewer rep
277 forum posts

I have an original Tarptent Moment single wall with the partial liner and crossing pole.

After modding the tent a bit to run the crossing pole under the canopy instead of outside I found it to be quite a bit more stable when testing it in the sometimes hellacious winds we get here in the southern Henderson highlands south of Las Vegas.

BUT... the Moment ain't a winter tent by any means, even with the partial liner, due to the floor level and unlined door netting. It's just too well vented for spindrift snow situations.

So, I will sell it and get a new Moment DW with a ripstop inner and a CF/aluminum hybrid main pole and a CF crossing pole. The optional CF poles are stiffer than the standard aluminum poles for less deflection under load.  I'll run the CF crossing pole inside the fly as on the original Moment for better protection from wind and snow load. But in summer I'll likely use a netting inner for ventilation.

Comments?

Anyone else have a solo tent they use in winter snow conditions? Likes, dislikes?

12:37 p.m. on May 23, 2013 (EDT)
2 reviewer rep
699 forum posts

I think you have a Scarp, no?

If so, what don't you like about that shelter that is steering you toward the DW Moment?

2:11 p.m. on May 24, 2013 (EDT)
493 reviewer rep
277 forum posts

I have a Scarp 2 modded for winter but that is a two person shelter and sometimes I travel alone. I was thinking the Moment DW could work for solo winter travel as well as summer. Also some friends don't have winter tents and I can lend them the Scarp 2. Seems strange that they have winter bags but only 3 season tents.

I'm 5' 10" and I know my big winter bag fits inside my present Moment just fine. With the DW there would be no issues about the bag touching the canopy and getting condensation on it. Plus the DW ripstop inner would be fine in a wind-blown snow situation. Where I often go in the Spring Mountains on the northwest side of the Las Vegas valley the winds many times get well above 30 mph. for extended periods when at or above 9,000 ft.

November 27, 2014
Quick Reply