waterproof over trousers

9:37 a.m. on May 23, 2013 (EDT)
346 reviewer rep
54 forum posts

ok so what i would like to know is do you use waterproof over trousers (goretex etc!) or do you just get your legs wet based on the knowledge that modern hiking clothes (ie trousers) dry in next to no time and over trousers spend most of there time in your rucksack.

11:01 a.m. on May 23, 2013 (EDT)
MODERATOR REVIEW CORPS
658 reviewer rep
2,148 forum posts

In three season conditions I typically just let my pants get wet, allowing them to dry on my body or changing when I've stopped. Of course, in shoulder seasons, you need to be very careful about drops in temperature due to weather changes or once the sun is obscured. Also beware of the quick onset of chilling when you take breaks of stop for the day. One's metabolism tends to bottom once stopped after strenuous activity.   I only use hardshell pants if it really necessary due to low temperatures and incessent rain, which isn't often. I also might wear them around camp in the rain. 

12:05 p.m. on May 23, 2013 (EDT)
346 reviewer rep
54 forum posts

i also wondered what makes and  type of material of walking trousers are the best for hiking in the rain are soft shell trousers better than poly cotton etc

12:23 p.m. on May 23, 2013 (EDT)
REVIEW CORPS
1,846 reviewer rep
1,312 forum posts

When I decide to bring them along I use military ecwcs goretex pants. They are AWESOME. Tough as nails, easy to put on and take off over shoes and other clothing. And cheap.

12:46 p.m. on May 23, 2013 (EDT)
TRAILSPACE STAFF
410 reviewer rep
1,054 forum posts

Hi John -

It really makes a difference where, when, and for what you'd like to use the waterproof pants.

For winter conditions, a 3-ply waterproof/breathable pant is just the ticket.

For longer hikes in moderate weather, I'll bring a pair of way-to-big Frogg Toggs pants.  I'll hike in regular nylon pants, and slip the rain pants on over everything (pants, boots, and gaiters too) when I stop so I don't get chilled.

8:16 p.m. on May 23, 2013 (EDT)
59 reviewer rep
270 forum posts

I have a nice goretex jacket, but goretex pants haven't found a place in the budget yet.

My $75 MEC rainpants have an Entrant-DT microporous polyurethane coating over seam-taped nylon ripstop, and are advertised as waterproof-breathable. Not as breathable as goretex, I'm sure. Nevertheless, they do the job. They have long leg zips with storm flaps for venting (in our cold rain I rarely feel the need). They pack very small and weigh 275g/9oz. This material seems to be very durable, to my surprise -- after four years of frequent use, I finally had the seat wet through, no doubt because of all the sitting on rocks and logs, but a wash-in treatment had them good as new.

My everyday hiking pants are thin but tough nylon with a DWR treatment. They'll bead off light showers and mist and dry extremely quickly. Nine months of the year I'll have thin polypro tights on underneath, too.

11:14 p.m. on May 23, 2013 (EDT)
GUIDE/OUTFITTER REVIEW CORPS
944 reviewer rep
146 forum posts

I've been successful with eVent membrane shells, top & bottom. My personal choice, climber's gear (Rab)... insanely abrasion resistant, dry even when facing several nor'easters!!!

3:31 a.m. on May 24, 2013 (EDT)
346 reviewer rep
54 forum posts

thanks for the input guys !

2:44 p.m. on May 24, 2013 (EDT)
447 reviewer rep
277 forum posts

If you can get REI Kimtah eVent rain pants on sale (regular price $189.) you may be able to get them for less than the RAB pants. They are very similar in both features (and the lack of them) of to keep weight down.

12:39 p.m. on May 28, 2013 (EDT)
21 reviewer rep
1,159 forum posts

In mild conditions shorts or nylon pants work fine.  When it gets wet and chilly try some Filson wax impregnated "tin pants."

2:26 p.m. on May 28, 2013 (EDT)
447 reviewer rep
277 forum posts

Gore-Tex PacLite pants (Cabela's Rainy River version) are my rain pants. They have 16" lower leg zippers so they fit over most boots. Packs into its own rear pocket.

The fabric is non-shiny lightweight nylon Taslan. Very tough for the weight.

Still reasonably priced compared to other PacLite pants.

1:44 p.m. on May 29, 2013 (EDT)
TOP 25 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
2,439 reviewer rep
1,292 forum posts

most of the time, i'll just wear shorts, let them get wet, and let them dry if conditions aren't too bad.

if it starts raining hard enough to flood my boots or if conditions warrant keeping my legs warmer (cold and/or windy in addition to a medium to hard rain), i'll put on a pair of waterproof/breathable hard shell pants.   i prefer eVent and pants that are roomy, in case i want to layer underneath.  there are lots of options out there. 

September 16, 2014
Quick Reply