New Trail Slippers for the Family

11:56 a.m. on May 25, 2013 (EDT)
MODERATOR REVIEW CORPS
658 reviewer rep
2,149 forum posts

Well, I've enjoyed my Alicos, and they are good for winter trekking, but they have just a bit too much width and volume for summer hiking. So I decided to get a slimmer fitting boot for warmer weather use, and opted for the full gain leather, NO GORTEX, Asolo 535s.  

The wife's old boots, which see very little use, had the foam rubber of the mid sole rot out, and se wants to start going on easy hikes with me, so we got there some as well. None of the local stores had women's Asolos to try on, and I didn't want to get her a boot without having her try them on and make sure they'll be fit really well. There weren't any FGL non gortex options available locally, but we got the closes thing in some Vasque Sundowners. 

Now to break them in! 

970057_10151473863554094_847777251_n.jpg

12:10 p.m. on May 25, 2013 (EDT)
1,631 reviewer rep
3,962 forum posts

Nice. I love breaking in new boots.

1:21 p.m. on May 25, 2013 (EDT)
TOP 25 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
2,439 reviewer rep
1,298 forum posts

love full grain leather boots.

they do have their downsides.  the other day, i got caught in a horrendously hard rain in my leather boots.  by the time i got under cover, my feet were squelching.  took two days of crumpled newspaper to dry them out.

4:31 p.m. on May 25, 2013 (EDT)
493 reviewer rep
277 forum posts

Hmmm, by UL backpacking standards those boots are way too heavy. I recommend something like Merrill Moab Mid GTX boots. They are light but still protect your ankle from rocks and have a GTX liner for dew soaked mornings and wet days. Lighter still are the low cut Moab Ventilators. (No GTX liner.)

I realize Trailspace is not BPL but lightening yoru load is still a good goalfor backpackers.

5:53 p.m. on May 25, 2013 (EDT)
MODERATOR REVIEW CORPS
658 reviewer rep
2,149 forum posts

What can I say, I prefer boots and the accompanying protection and stability, I hate GTX in a shoe, and I love the properties and performance of unlined leather.  I have a personal set of priorities what I balance with being light. If a given item can meet the priorities and expectations that I have for it while being lighter, then great. If it doesn't, then I don't want it. Where If I reach my fitness goals and hike every weekend, I may go for a light mesh type boot, but it doesn't meet what I want and need presently. 

5:59 p.m. on May 25, 2013 (EDT)
1,357 reviewer rep
1,339 forum posts

leadbelly2550 said:

Love full grain leather boots.

Took two days of crumpled newspaper to dry them out.

That's where the GTX liner comes in handy. My Salomon's are leather, but I've never had to dry the inside out. 

7:05 p.m. on May 25, 2013 (EDT)
1,631 reviewer rep
3,962 forum posts

I personally would destroy a pair of Moabs in no time flat with the terrain here in Rocksylvania.

I would much rather have a pair of boots that can stand the test of time and be resoled multiple times than a pair of Chinese made throw-aways.

Jmo...

8:04 p.m. on May 25, 2013 (EDT)
1,631 reviewer rep
3,962 forum posts

peter1955 said:

leadbelly2550 said:

Love full grain leather boots.

Took two days of crumpled newspaper to dry them out.

That's where the GTX liner comes in handy. My Salomon's are leather, but I've never had to dry the inside out. 

The problem with GTX in a boot is as you use them the sweat from your foot(oils) gradually clogs the pores in the membrane inhibiting it's ability to breath. 

Here is the real kick in the pants. 

There is noway to clean it being the membrane is sandwiched between the lining of the boot and the outer. 

9:21 p.m. on May 25, 2013 (EDT)
12 reviewer rep
843 forum posts

I have a pair of gtx boots and so far they have maintained their breathability. but then again, my feet don't sweat much.

9:22 p.m. on May 25, 2013 (EDT)
12 reviewer rep
843 forum posts

by the way, those are some nice looking leather boots!

9:39 p.m. on May 25, 2013 (EDT)
MODERATOR REVIEW CORPS
998 reviewer rep
3,495 forum posts

Good for you Gonzan!

Let us know how you like those pretty Asolo's!

Did you step down to a thinner sock? I like to go to a thinner synthetic sock in the summer & I have been putting a 3/16 CCF insert under my footbed (Superfeet Blue) to take up some of the volume but it doesn't address the extra width. I would like to get another pair of boots for summer, like you did.

After reading lots of posts on GTX in boots I think how well GTX works (or doesn't) may have a good bit to do with climate.

I like FGL boots with a leather liner and no GTX, I can walk in water along lakeshores or cross creeks and my boots do not get wet inside unless I get water over the top of the boot. I am meticulous about keeping them sealed & waterproofed.

I live in a warmer, humid climate; to me GTX just feels to hot & stuffy. I think if I lived in a cooler, dryer climate I may feel differently.

The stuffiest boots I have owned so far was a pair of Asolo FSN 95 with GTX and a Cambrelle lining. A very light but sturdy boot though.

Mike G.

10:37 p.m. on May 25, 2013 (EDT)
1,247 reviewer rep
614 forum posts

My experiences; Feet sweat. Mine sweat enough, with or without the liner, that proper preventative and ongoing care makes the difference between GT lined and unlined negligible.

I've found that my feet will sweat through socks either way. I may gain an extra hour at most by wearing unlined boots, but I will still need to change my socks. This morning temps were around 10 Celsius, cool and dry, and my socks were damp after an hour walking the dogs in my unlined Limmers.

Don't get me wrong, I love boots. Never got into this wearing trail runners while hiking but lined or unlined isn't high on my priority list. Fit, leather lined, re-soleable, etc... Are all more important to me.

10:49 p.m. on May 25, 2013 (EDT)
MODERATOR REVIEW CORPS
998 reviewer rep
3,495 forum posts

Jake W said:

My experiences; Feet sweat. Mine sweat enough, with or without the liner, that proper preventative and ongoing care makes the difference between GT lined and unlined negligible.

I've found that my feet will sweat through socks either way. I may gain an extra hour at most by wearing unlined boots, but I will still need to change my socks. This morning temps were around 10 Celsius, cool and dry, and my socks were damp after an hour walking the dogs in my unlined Limmers.

Don't get me wrong, I love boots. Never got into this wearing trail runners while hiking but lined or unlined isn't high on my priority list. Fit, leather lined, re-soleable, etc... Are all more important to me.

Yep, I change my socks 2 - 4 times a day just depending......

6:39 a.m. on May 26, 2013 (EDT)
2,439 reviewer rep
1,298 forum posts

Peter -  my boots didn't get wet because they leaked or retained sweat; they got wet from water streaming down my legs and directly into the socks and boots.  that would have occurred with any boot or shoe, unless i had a pair of rain pants.  (i own a pair but don't have them with me, just a jacket). 

2:22 a.m. on May 27, 2013 (EDT)
102 reviewer rep
2,295 forum posts

Rick-Pittsburgh said:

I personally would destroy a pair of Moabs in no time flat with the terrain here in Rocksylvania.

I would much rather have a pair of boots that can stand the test of time and be resoled multiple times than a pair of Chinese made throw-aways.

My travels need a sturdy, durable, boot too, but I don't worry about my gun boats being resoleable, as by the time the soles are trashed, so are the uppers.  This goes for FGL as well as fabric boots of all designs.

Ed

October 21, 2014
Quick Reply