What are the best orthotic insoles money can buy you?

1:47 p.m. on May 25, 2013 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
3 forum posts

But i dont mean what are the best "custom" ones i dont want all that trouble i just was wondering what is the best non custom ones you can buy online for a reasonable amount of money... lol a bit of a contradiction there. Anyway i was planning on going on a long running marathon in the mountains so i need so orthotics that are comfortable and good qulaity anyone know of any?

Thanks

5:05 a.m. on May 26, 2013 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
3 forum posts

A removable insole which accomplishes any of a number of purposes, including daily wear comfort, foot and joint pain relief from arthritis, overuse, injuries, and other causes, orthopedic correction, smell reduction, athletic performance. Insertable insoles may contain built-in arch supports.

There are various forms of orthopaedic inserts available all with one common aim of correcting the lower limbs. These orthotic insoles are designed to re-align the foot into its correct position to alleviate pain and discomfort. There are many types of orthotics which target certain biomechanical conditions; these types of devices are usually named after the foot condition associated with them.

Traditionally, orthopedic inserts were created from plaster casts made from the patient's foot. These casts were made by wrapping dipped plaster or fiberglass strips around the foot to capture the form, then letting it dry and harden. Once the cast was hardened, the doctor would carefully remove it from the patient's foot and ship it, along with a prescription, to an orthotics lab which would use the negative of the cast to create an orthopedic insert.

Recently, companies such as Tom-Cat Solutions and Delcam have developed digital foot scanners that use specialized software to scan a patient's foot and create a "virtual" cast. These scans are made by having the patient place their foot onto a specialized flat image scanner that uses light and software to capture and create a 3D model. This 3D model is then electronically submitted (along with a prescription) to an orthotics lab, where it is used to program a CNC machine that will ultimately produce the orthopedic insert.

An arch support is a piece of material designed to provide support for the arch of the foot. An arch support may be placed on top of the shoe's insole, or may be part of the insole.
It is placed inside a shoe so that its molded form fits the arch of the foot. Arch supports are frequently made from plastic, aiming to be flexible enough to provide comfort and rigid enough to provide support. The material can be custom made to fit individual feet using a medical foot casting system. Alternatively, generic shapes and sizes can be purchased based on foot size and arch height.
Arch supports are most commonly found in shoes, but sandals such as Birkenstock are also produced with a degree of built-in arch support.

6:33 a.m. on May 26, 2013 (EDT)
TOP 25 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
2,424 reviewer rep
1,290 forum posts

mine were made in the traditional way you outlined - plastic cast of my foot used to design a hard plastic half-length orthotic with a leather top next to my foot.  that is more time and initial money, but worth it in the long run.  mine last about 5-6 years before i my flat feet deform them. 

other than that, try superfeet.  they have a number of different types, and they are easy to customize shape-wise with a pair of scissors.  for a limited-use and non-customized arch support, not bad.  if you plan to use them a lot, though, think about how many pair of these you will go through in 5-6 years, and how much that will cost, and how much time you will spend going and buying new ones every 6 months or a year.  from that perspective, custom isn't such a big deal. 

enjoy the run.  whatever you choose, take the time to get used to them.  introducing a new element to your feet and legs shortly before a big event is generally a bad idea.  your bones, joints and muscles need plenty of time to get used to anything that might alter your stride. 

2:27 a.m. on May 27, 2013 (EDT)
102 reviewer rep
2,285 forum posts

Is there a reason why you think you need orthodics?  Distance is not a reason for foot beds, but support and better fit are.  Anyway like boots, what defines a good foot bed is a pretty subjective thing.

Ed

6:19 p.m. on May 27, 2013 (EDT)
12 reviewer rep
843 forum posts

superfeet are the only non custom orthotics I can think of.

11:45 p.m. on May 29, 2013 (EDT)
TOP 10 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
3,329 reviewer rep
1,226 forum posts

I'm going tomorrow to get cast for ortbodics. It's not mortons neuroma but a close relative to it. The doc said that non-custom are to custom what Ozark trail is to mountain hardware. That's my paraphrase. I am glad for insurance though. They cost over $300!

3:33 a.m. on May 30, 2013 (EDT)
REVIEW CORPS
458 reviewer rep
668 forum posts

Is it only me, or has anyone else noticed that the OP on this thread asked an "innocent" question of the community one day, then delivered a lengthy, well-informed discussion on the topic on the next day that promoted a high tech solution and named a couple businesses that deliver the service, and then disappeared?

Well it turns out that identical text can be found in Wikipedia entries on shoe inserts and arch supports, and most of it was added (to a much briefer entry) by a user named "Daryljameswords".

So let's go ahead and have a lively discussion about orthotics, but I wouldn't take the OP too seriously...

5:06 a.m. on May 30, 2013 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
3 forum posts

thanks... i found the answer i was looking for and just posted a answer found on wikipedia to help others. Well i wish i did own those business id be very rich.. and i just forgot about this forum i just got a email about new replies just now

3:25 p.m. on May 31, 2013 (EDT)
12 reviewer rep
843 forum posts

nothing like a shill!

6:53 p.m. on May 31, 2013 (EDT)
331 reviewer rep
287 forum posts

Most Wal-Marts have the Dr. Scholls custom orthopedic machine that analyzes your feet and gives a recommendation on their semi-custom orthopedic insert.  I have a fairly new pair of Asolo's that have been a killer to break in.  I am going to put the Dr. Sholls in them and give them a try.  

9:04 a.m. on June 1, 2013 (EDT)
1,357 reviewer rep
1,339 forum posts

When I got custom orthotics it was explained to me that wearing them was kind of like the ancient custom of Chinese foot-binding. The goal is to alter the structure of the feet, to lift fallen arches, for example, so that in the long term term, foot problems go away.

After I got used to my first pair, I asked if I could get ones with an even higher arch, but was told that there was a point where the orthotics would start having a negative effect. 

That's worked for me, but it suggests that caution should be used. 

August 22, 2014
Quick Reply