best petite women's soft shell pants

7:41 a.m. on June 3, 2013 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
15 forum posts

Hi,  just wondering if any smaller stature females might recommend the best product model/manufactuer that would fit a a deminutive female hiker.  My wife is 4'11 and 97 lbs, and I can't find a soft shell pant that goes that small.  Just bought her the Marmot Scree pant, and legs are way too long.  drats!  nice product though!   she's a very serious hiker, but can only find nylon running pants that aren't water proof, wind resistent or warm.  We're hiking in Tetons in September, and I'd prefer that she bring a good shell pant for variable conditions. any advice would be greatly appreciated.  Mike

10:27 a.m. on June 3, 2013 (EDT)
REVIEW CORPS
1,699 reviewer rep
1,308 forum posts

IMO you would not want soft shell pants for hiking, but hyoh and all that. I personally prefer a hard shell to go over whatever I am wearing at the time, I find hard shells to be a more versatile option.

But, if you really want them or any other item that is simply too long a simple solution is to get them tailored/hemed or do it yourself. Find something that fits well in the waist and then tailoring them to a shorter length is really quite easy. You can probably get it done at any tailor shop for pretty cheap, I would think $20 or so if not less. If you have a sewing machine it would take only a few minutes to do, and is REALLY easy, like one of the easiest sewing tasks there is. Especially is the garment otherwise fits fine.

Maybe some others can recommend you some products that will fit well without the need for alterations though. It would help others with recommendations if you posted her waist and inseam sizes/length.

Not a soft shell but I would recommend the ecwcs goretex pants small or xsmall , short or regular depending on her sizing. I use them and highly recommend them as a very good shell option that is tough as nails and can be had for 10-50$ depending on where you buy them , color/camo pattern you choose, and used or new. I have had my pair for like 14 or 15 years now and they are still going strong. For example for $13 right now on eBay there is an XS short woodland pattern for sale.

3:14 p.m. on June 3, 2013 (EDT)
59 reviewer rep
270 forum posts

Hi Mike! She's little, all right. Have you considered shopping the 'youth' section? Clothes for boys might fit just fine, and as a bonus, they're likely cheaper. I am still wearing my 'little' brother's hand-me-downs from when he was thirteen. (Now he's 6'4" and none of his stuff fits me, darn it.)

Personally, I have better luck with layering thin bottoms as required, rather than wearing one thicker pair. I always have two pairs of long underwear (of the Patagonia Capilene 3 type), one for sleeping and one for walking. Then I have a pair of ripstop nylon pants (good wind resistance and DWR) and a pair of rain pants. Our temperature can change a lot in the course of a day, so I add/take off the long underwear as required. I find the long underwear/nylon pant combo much, much warmer than softshell pants, too. (Lack of drafts plus more trapped warm air, I guess.) As a bonus they both dry very quickly. In winter, same system with a pair of thick fleece leggings added.

My favourite nylon pants (from MEC) have a shockcord hem, which I love for many reasons. For one, it meant I didn't have to hem them. I can cinch them tight over my boots, so the extra length doesn't matter, or I can roll them up capri-length and cinch them there. Other benefits: keeping cold drafts and bugs out! So now I will look for this feature in any pants I buy.

Good luck!

6:23 p.m. on June 3, 2013 (EDT)
12 reviewer rep
843 forum posts

you could try the boys' section at rei....but I think you're just going to have to hem them...that's what my husband does sometimes, he has short legs.

8:04 p.m. on June 3, 2013 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
15 forum posts

thanks all!  the only issue with hemming or alterations is that it renders the warranty of the product invalid. but the suggestion of boys items are an idea, except youth designed products usually doesn't include to specialized of items like soft shell pants.  but thanks again.

mike

8:20 p.m. on June 3, 2013 (EDT)
59 reviewer rep
270 forum posts

That's true about alterations and warranty, never thought of that. Bummer.

You might take a look at mec.ca, if you're finding your selections limited. They have a big selection of kids and youth gear, some of it pretty technical (Canadians are big on outdoor sports at all ages). The 'Surplus' pants are a nice poly/nylon softshell, brushed interior, DWR, gusseted crotch, the works, and $42!

8:50 p.m. on June 3, 2013 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
15 forum posts

Islandess!  sweet idea! thanks.

mike

3:19 p.m. on June 4, 2013 (EDT)
12 reviewer rep
843 forum posts

yeah, I forgot about the warranty. I've never used the warranty on a pair of pants though.

August 28, 2014
Quick Reply