eVent pants...

8:55 a.m. on June 7, 2013 (EDT)
1,631 reviewer rep
3,962 forum posts

So I have been using the Westcomb Specter on my trips as of late and I have to say I really like it a lot:

030.jpg

So I am interested in getting a pair of eVent pants for 3 season/4 season active use. 

I really like eVent. 

Any suggestions?

9:16 a.m. on June 7, 2013 (EDT)
REVIEW CORPS
1,347 reviewer rep
1,320 forum posts

Rick, I got the Rab Drillium pants based on the specs (breathable, simple, light, compact). Once I've had them out in the rain I'll let you know how they work out.

9:17 a.m. on June 7, 2013 (EDT)
1,631 reviewer rep
3,962 forum posts

Thanks Bill, much appreciated. 

12:11 p.m. on June 7, 2013 (EDT)
TOP 25 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
2,702 reviewer rep
1,338 forum posts

I have used a pair of eVent pants from Wild Things for a number of years.  Mine are called the 'superlight alpinist pants,' they are currently called the 'alpinist pants.'  http://www.wildthingsgear.com/wild-things/shop/all-men/m-alpinist-pants.html?color=castlerock  Mine are cut pretty generously, plenty of room to layer; they weigh 15 ounces. 

i tried one other pair of eVent pants but had to return them because they were cut too narrow through the thighs and butt.  also, the wild things pants lend themselves well to 4 season use because the instep area is reinforced to absorb abuse from crampons.  while mine have an elastic waistband, they also have loops for suspenders, which i use with them in the winter.  they are 100% waterproof, stop the wind, and do a great job with moisture management, typical of eVent.   performance-wise, they are my favorite waterproof/breathable shell pants, hands down. 

alas, they aren't cheap.  REI makes eVent rain pants that I have not tried.  However, my wife has the equivalent REI eVent jacket, and loves it.     

5:32 p.m. on June 10, 2013 (EDT)
508 reviewer rep
287 forum posts

I'm thinking of getting some REI Kimtah eVent pants since their parka works so well for me in both rain and as a wind "shirt". (Plus I use it when both alpine and back country skiing.)

I'll wait for a 20% off members' sale.

BTW, I do have a pair of Cabela's PacLite GTX pants which are very good but just don't breathe as well as eVent. Got 'em 5 years ago on sale for $70. Now those suckers are $129.!! That's about a 20% off price for Kimtah eVent pants.

"Eric Erie"  (Rick, I used to live in Erie, PA :o)

December 21, 2014
Quick Reply