Just ordered new DSLR

4:01 p.m. on June 24, 2013 (EDT)
200 reviewer rep
4,083 forum posts

I just ordered the Canon T3 DSLR

Canon-T3-dslr.jpg

I bought it from BHPhoto of NYC

It will be my 3rd DSLR all of which have been Canon camera's.

It comes with a 16GB memory card and a camera holster bag...

Camera-holster-for-Canon.jpg

Again I will be able to soon take the types of images I am used to. I have been shooting cheap digital point and shoot's for 4 years since I sold my last Canon Rebel to pay my rent in 2010.

I am still waiting to get my pictures from my trip from Tucson to SW Utah. My old cheap camera failed ,even won't load the images from its memory card a mini SD card. I ordered one adaptor but it failed to work, I have another one coming.

4:05 p.m. on June 24, 2013 (EDT)
1,631 reviewer rep
3,962 forum posts

Cool, I have been looking at the SL1. My only problem is I am very hard on gear and I really don't like to let my photo ops be dependent upon weather conditions so I really need something that is immune to cold, shockproof, waterproof, alien abduction, blah blah blah. 

That is the only thing that has kept me out of the DSLR camp. 

4:31 p.m. on June 24, 2013 (EDT)
200 reviewer rep
4,083 forum posts

I once slipped while hiking along the West Oak Creek Canyon's Secret Wilderness area near Sedona AZ and plunged my last Canon DSLR into the icy creek. I sat next to the shore afterwards with all its parts drying in the sun. When I returned to my Flagstaff home I let it dry completely for two days and it surprisingly came back to life. The only malfunction being the image on the rear screen was upside down. I continued to use the camera for a year before selling it in late 2012 to pay my rent.

For hiking rivers and narrows like around here in southern Utah I hope to find a good camera housing to encase it to help keep it dry the next time I am wading a slippery stream bed.

2:40 a.m. on June 25, 2013 (EDT)
BRAND REP
0 reviewer rep
155 forum posts

"My old cheap camera failed ,even won't load the images from its memory card a mini SD card"
If you cannot read that card with a new adaptor, take it to a print lab. Often they have recovery software that will fix the problem.

2:31 p.m. on June 25, 2013 (EDT)
12 reviewer rep
836 forum posts

speaking of cheap cameras, I just got one. on sale at Costco. its okay for quick snapshots though it doesn't do macro worth a crap. oh well, what do you want for 100 bucks?

11:17 p.m. on June 25, 2013 (EDT)
REVIEW CORPS
1,225 reviewer rep
1,262 forum posts

Congrats Gary.  I bet you'll be happy with it.  Though I haven't used Canon (have been using Nikon myself since I switched to digital in 1999 or 2000) I have seen in general DSLRs have advanced quite a bit in recent years.  You'll undoubtedly notice improved dynamic range, focusing, noise, resolution, and overall image quality compared to your earlier models.

3:54 p.m. on June 27, 2013 (EDT)
331 reviewer rep
287 forum posts

yes.  Congrats Gary!  I currently have the canon xsi.  I love that camera.  Strongly considering upgrading to the nikon d5100 soon.   

10:31 a.m. on June 28, 2013 (EDT)
TOP 25 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
708 reviewer rep
875 forum posts

Gary, Canon makes great DSLRs. The best for user friendly features. Nikon has caught up a bit since they first brought theirs out and Nikons are more user friendly than they used to be. I have a Canon 5 D Mark II that I use for all things where I need pro quality. However, I also use my Pentax Optio W 30 for places where the Canon wouldn't be ideal. It also takes images suitable for print mags.

6:42 a.m. on June 29, 2013 (EDT)
200 reviewer rep
4,083 forum posts

How are Canons like the T3's video quality? I have had only one Canon camera that had video the S3IS It was a point and shoot camera. Only thing I didn't like about the video was if you shot a movie in portrait there was no way to revolve the view to horizonal. When viewing on screen I had to turn the laptop on one side to see it as it was shot. 

I don't have my camera yet. Should be here today in the mail (USPS) I have wanted a new DSLR since selling my last one in 2010 to pay the rent.

I owned one of almost every companies 35mm cameras from 1978 to 2003. Canon, Minolta,Olympus, nikon,pentax,Xenot,vivitar,,etc. My first 35mm was the Minolta XG-1, then the 3, 5 in 1978,80,82. 

My first camera was a Kodak Brownie that was my grandfathers. That was in 968 when I was 12.

8:13 a.m. on June 29, 2013 (EDT)
REVIEW CORPS
1,225 reviewer rep
1,262 forum posts

@Jason I have a D5100 and am pretty happy with it overall. It provides good image quality and is relatively compact and light for n SLR.

8:16 a.m. on June 29, 2013 (EDT)
REVIEW CORPS
1,225 reviewer rep
1,262 forum posts

@Gary I think one thing is to just get used to shooting video in landscape format since that is how it is typically viewed :). I think there may be tools out there for fixing it though if it was shot in portrait mode.

11:47 a.m. on June 29, 2013 (EDT)
TOP 25 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
708 reviewer rep
875 forum posts

There are ways to convert from "portrait" mode footage to a horizontal, or what I would call academy aperture, TV, HD, 1:85, 1:78, or whatever aspect ratio it is set to.You will lose parts of the frame in conversion. However, as Bill says, it easiest to shoot with the horizontal aspect ratio.

5:40 p.m. on June 29, 2013 (EDT)
210 reviewer rep
179 forum posts

Last year I bought my wife a Canon EOS 60D which she really likes, although we have yet to figure out all the functions. Last winter we spent a month backpacking in Borneo and the camera held up great under some rough and humid conditions. My Nikon point and shoot, however, was not so fortunate. It stopped functioning half way through the trip; probably due to the moisture getting into the circuits or something.

I still have my old Pentax ME Super camera with half a dozen lenses and multiple flash units. It was built like a tank and still functions today if I could only find some place to develop the film. Most of my pictures were taken in Kodachrome 64 and Ektachrome 100VS.

How technology has changed!

8:27 p.m. on June 29, 2013 (EDT)
12 reviewer rep
836 forum posts

I have a Nikon f3 with all the lenses, and some nikkormat bodies the Nikon lenses work with. if you can find film, first hurdle, you need to find somewhere to develop it. since Kodak went down the crapper you just can't find it anymore, the film or the services. oh well, excuse to buy a new camera!

10:08 p.m. on June 29, 2013 (EDT)
200 reviewer rep
4,083 forum posts

Canon lenses from 35 mm camera's will also work on their DSLR's but you gain 1.6 in magnifacation  so a 50mm becomes a 106mm. When I went digital with my first DSLR by Canon I still had my old Canon Rebel and some lenses, so I only bought the Canon XT with the 18-55 lens and use my other old 35 mm lenses instead of buying new more expense digital one.

My next day off is Monday and I plan to go to Red Cave a narrow slot canyon near me. My Canon T3 came today I should say. Next I want to get a set of colored filters, polarizer and other and extra rechargable batteries so I don't run out of power with my new camera. With my last one I had 4 extra batteries.

IMG_0009.jpg

In the bathroom mirror with my new Canon

7:09 a.m. on June 30, 2013 (EDT)
200 reviewer rep
4,083 forum posts

Heck I might even if its nice tonight go camping, use my new tent and hike to Red Cave stay tonight and come back tomorrow. Get some nice camping photo's Haven't been camping since I rode up here from Flagstaff in April on my bike. I get off work at 3 pm today, get home about 4. Have 4 hours of light to head over to the slot canyon.

2:19 p.m. on June 30, 2013 (EDT)
REVIEW CORPS
1,225 reviewer rep
1,262 forum posts

That's a great way to test out the new camera :).

5:23 p.m. on July 3, 2013 (EDT)
331 reviewer rep
287 forum posts

@Bill.  Thanks for the feedback on the d5100.  I ordered one a couple days ago.  It should be here early next week.  I also ordered a really sweet Nikkor 55-300 telephoto with it because I do a lot of wildlife photography.  Can't wait to get it.  I sold my well taken care of canon xsi and lenses on ebay for a reasonable price.  I hope the person I sold it to gets as much use out of it as I did.  

@Gary.  How is that canon treating you so far?

9:25 p.m. on July 3, 2013 (EDT)
200 reviewer rep
4,083 forum posts

Jason, Pretty well, I am still practicing with it. I have not had a good DSLR since 2011. I just tested its video function by shooting a movie I was playing on Netflix on my laptop. Works great. Will have to practice of a live event next. There's a water fall across the street I will try it on next. I am off Friday and plan to do another hike to try it in the natural world.

Do you have a camera?

3:27 p.m. on July 4, 2013 (EDT)
331 reviewer rep
287 forum posts

Gary,  I am sure you will get some great results in nature.  Have fun.

I have owned a canon rebel xsi for the last 4-5 years.  Awesome camera.  I recently sold it to upgrade to a nikon d5100.  It should be in the mail and get here next week.  I have a trip planned in Glacier National Park-MT in a couple weeks and I will take lots of photos with it and put it through the paces.  

7:02 p.m. on July 4, 2013 (EDT)
200 reviewer rep
4,083 forum posts

The XSi shot video? How was that? I bought my T3 because it shoots video. I had a XT before this. It says in the manual it will rotate the images even in video, I hope so. I also had another Canon the S3IS that would not, I shot a lot of portrait shots of waterfalls and tall cliffs in video on it only to find out I had to view the playbacks on my laptop by holding the screen on its side. I have not tested this for rotation, but will after tomorrows day hike up a canyon with a couple water falls and nice deep canyons.

I will hopefully post them here. I hope I don't have to post them at Youtube first as I had to with my S3IS camera shots, to get a share link.

Glacier sounds nice, I have not been there since the summer of 1980 when I worked for 3 weeks at the old Glacier Park Lodge on the east side. I had stopped there to get some money wired to me from my bank (no ATMs in those days) and had to wait a few days to get the money. By the time it came I had been offered a job. I was covering for another cook who had to go home for 3 weeks. So I also got the chance to do some hikes too. I was shooting a Canon camera then too but in 35 mm of course. I used to shoot slide film from my start in 35 mm in 1978 to 2003 when I bought my first DSLR Canon XT. 

HOpe you post a trip report here at Trailspace ! I will post one tomorrow after I get back from my day hike. Its a canyon right across the road from where I live. I last hiked it about a month ago. This area I live in is on the edge of the SW corner of the Grand Staircase National Monument, in the White Cliffs area just 12 miles east of Zion Nat Park. Tho I cannot get to the parks around me because of my bike and my days off from work, I am surrounded by Bryce,Zion, the Grand Canyon, Lake Powell, te Paria Canyon Wilderness, the Wave in Coyote Canyon (search it on the net),The GSNM and the Escalante Nat Monument. I hope to get out later this fall, winter and spring when it slows down at work. I am a prep cook at a Best Western Lodge here.

9:32 p.m. on July 4, 2013 (EDT)
200 reviewer rep
4,083 forum posts

Well I guess I was wrong I thought the video part would rotate the image, it does'nt. Seems odd to me that one can only shoot in landscape and not portrait to shoot video. I realize the vertical screen is not normal but if I am in a situation wher I am close to a water fall, lets say it would not be possible to shoot in portrait to catch the falls and not the edges so much, you know what I mean?

12:20 p.m. on July 5, 2013 (EDT)
331 reviewer rep
287 forum posts

Gary.  My xsi did not shoot vid.  My new d5100 will though.  However, I will not typically use it for vid.  Just stills.  I have a sony handycam for vid.  

Most vid cameras will NOT shoot in Portrait mode due to the aspect ratio constraints.  You want the vid to fill out whatever media you are playing it on.  If it was done in portrait you would have large void areas each side of  whatever media you are playing the vid back on.  

That's pretty cool you spent some time in GNP back in the 80's.  I think everyone should see Glacier Nat'l Park.  

I used to do some 35mm film/slide photography too.  My first serious camera was a canon eos elan IIe.  I actually still have it.  Gave it to my daughter a couple years back for her to learn about photography.  She has a digital camera now and the elan is just collecting dust.  I can remember having dozens of rolls of film to develop.  Thank goodness for today's technology.  

3:15 p.m. on July 5, 2013 (EDT)
200 reviewer rep
4,083 forum posts

Better see the glaciers there before they are gone in 20 years due to global warming.

The current photo on the National Park annual pass is of Glacier taken by a friend of mine Mike Mamrosh of another friend Eric Toole leaping into the air.

NPS-Pass.png

They took it in 2011 and won the photo contest for the pass. Won a trip to Hawaii Volcano's NP in 2012.

Just reaiized my pass expires this month!

9:11 p.m. on July 6, 2013 (EDT)
200 reviewer rep
4,083 forum posts

Jason,

Does the sony handycam shoot good video, and does it take long to load onto a PC? I would like to get a good video camera to record my hike/camp skills, sorta like Les Stroud does on Survivorman.

I see there re many models of the handycam, which one do you have?

9:17 p.m. on July 6, 2013 (EDT)
REVIEW CORPS
1,225 reviewer rep
1,262 forum posts

GaryPalmer said:

The current photo on the National Park annual pass is of Glacier taken by a friend of mine Mike Mamrosh of another friend Eric Toole leaping into the air.

NPS-Pass.png

They took it in 2011 and won the photo contest for the pass. Won a trip to Hawaii Volcano's NP in 2012.

--------

Oh, I have that pass.  I didn't know where the photo was shot... 

1:18 a.m. on July 11, 2013 (EDT)
200 reviewer rep
4,083 forum posts

I made this video about 3 years ago down near Tucson at a place called Hutches pool. I want to try to use my new Canon T3 to make more from my hiking adventures.

7:04 p.m. on July 12, 2013 (EDT)
BRAND REP
0 reviewer rep
155 forum posts

"Canon lenses from 35 mm camera's will also work on their DSLR's but you gain 1.6 in magnifacation  so a 50mm becomes a 106mm'

A 50mm on a Canon APS C sensor is about an 80mm equivalent in field of view.

(it retains the same deph of field as a 50mm on a full frame sensor)

7:05 a.m. on July 13, 2013 (EDT)
200 reviewer rep
4,083 forum posts

Yeah I knew that isn't that cool? I went from having a Canon Rebel 35mm camera to my first Canon Rebel XT in 2003. So at the time I had three lenses other than the standard 50 mm lense for my camera and kept them and used them on my DSLR Canon. I have since sold them for paying bills. But now I think I want a new digital lens.

6:56 p.m. on July 23, 2013 (EDT)
189 reviewer rep
3 forum posts

Canon makes excellent cameras, but I've always been partial to Nikons. Too bad the lenses aren't interchangeable. With all the Nikon lenses I have it would be nice to have an extra body. It would be so nice to have a Canon as that extra body. Oh well.

6:56 a.m. on July 24, 2013 (EDT)
200 reviewer rep
4,083 forum posts

Years ago when I shot 35 mm camera's and took thousands of photos every year in the 80s I had as many as 3 camera bodies at once. I had Minolta's and had many different lenses too. Now with digital where a 16GB memory card will hold many thousands of images  I can deal with one camera body. In 1996 I shot 127 rolls of 35 mm film in one 9 month period during my usual vacation period that lasted from Sept-May, when I used to only work June,July and August in Jackson Hole Wy and then go bike touring and backpacking the 9 months off.

5:52 p.m. on July 24, 2013 (EDT)
MODERATOR TOP 10 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
5,432 reviewer rep
745 forum posts

I have a buddy who is "obsessed" with cave photography. He's quite good at it, but we all groan we he says, "I want to get a shot of this formation." We all know it will take a good hour to set the lights get the shot and pack it all up.

10:44 p.m. on July 24, 2013 (EDT)
200 reviewer rep
4,083 forum posts

I shot some caves near Flagstaff that were lava tubes millions of year old. I had no special lighting, I just lit a flashlight had a buddy hold it towards the lens then aimed the light meter in the camera at the light and took a picture. The meter read the available light of the flashlight and made a flash exposure lighting up the whole of the cavern. I have done this in other caves too or aimed the meter at the light coming from the entrance and took the shot. 

July 30, 2014
Quick Reply