Anyone know what kind of video camera used...

9:09 p.m. on June 25, 2013 (EDT)
200 reviewer rep
4,135 forum posts

In Les Stroud's Survivorman and Beyond Survival Les uses a video camera to self document his show. Does anyone know what type of video camera he uses?

Les-Stroud.jpg

10:07 p.m. on June 25, 2013 (EDT)
1,631 reviewer rep
3,962 forum posts

I have seen him on more than one occasion utilizing a GoPro. 

11:24 p.m. on June 25, 2013 (EDT)
BRAND REP
0 reviewer rep
155 forum posts

From his FAQ :

Q: What camera gear do you use?
Les: I use a whole group of different cameras depending on the circumstance; a few small one chip minidvs for various mounting positions and to get those night shots…a pair of Sonys for the main work…underwater housings and a little water proof camera made by Clarion. I also love the Viosport camera out of California – great unit. Survivorman is now shot entirely on HD.

"Viosport" :

http://vio-pov.com/

(Viosport does not shoot HD)

From another interview :

What kind of gear do you use when you're shooting yourself?
Les Stroud: What I try to do is to stay on top of the cutting-edge game. Fortunately, because I'm not a big, huge, massive production house or whatever, I can afford to say, 'Oh, what's cool and new and exciting? I'll pick up one of those.' Because I generally only need one or two, right?

With my main cameras I've always been a Sony fan. I started out using PD150s and VX1000s. For this last season I was using the EX3, which means I am recording straight to hard drive, which creates a whole different set of issues for shooting out in the field.

I am enjoying Viosport. The company sends me their gear every once in a while. This year I actually added on the GoPro. I had about three or four of them strapped to this place, strapped to that place, getting underwater shots, and strapped to helicopters.

I use a combination of cameras. It's been great. I'm a very big believer in content. Great content on a crappy camera is better than crappy content on a great camera.

11:30 p.m. on June 25, 2013 (EDT)
1,631 reviewer rep
3,962 forum posts

Here is where he references using the GoPro(4 of them) as well as some of the cameras he uses(and other tidbits...)

This link should answer your questions Gary.

Link to the article:

http://gizmodo.com/5617135/beyond-survival-around-the-world-eight-times-with-les-stroud 

He is currently using the Sony EX3 which is a lil more than the GoPro($7000+)

3:07 p.m. on June 26, 2013 (EDT)
12 reviewer rep
843 forum posts

good video camers's aren't cheap. the gopro is about 400-600 bucks.

4:06 p.m. on June 26, 2013 (EDT)
REVIEW CORPS
592 reviewer rep
1,511 forum posts

I have never paid more than 299 for a go pro.....have 2 of them. Several mounts.

6:06 p.m. on June 26, 2013 (EDT)
200 reviewer rep
4,135 forum posts

I was almost ready to buy a GoPro4(?) but someone else said many people have had issues with the newest model not working properly and having to send them back for a replacement only to have the replacement not function right either. 

went with the Canon T3 as I have always had good luck with Canon camera ever since the early 1980's.  I am not sure yet how well the video portion of the camera will work as I have yet to recieve mine from the seller.

As far as what Less uses I was curious as his videos that he shoots himself always seem so clear. I like the way he walks with his camera pointed at himself on a tripod he holds by the legs.

6:31 p.m. on June 26, 2013 (EDT)
BRAND REP
0 reviewer rep
155 forum posts

The GoPro cameras , like other "helmet" cameras, have a VERY wide fix focus lens.

The benefit of that is that there is no (almost) out of focus part of the picture, there is no need for a stabilizer and of course it gives the feeling you are very close to the action because you are...

There are typically two angles of view with the GoPro. The camera shoots at 170 degree but can also capture a cropped 120 degree view. As a comparison with the Rebel , a 10mm lens on that  gives you a  110 degree angle of view. The great part of the GoPro is that the firmware is optimised to capture at that wide angle of view because that is all it can do.

August 29, 2014
Quick Reply