About | Blog | Forums | People | Free Newsletter
Trailspace is a product review site for outdoor enthusiasts. Use it to find and share great gear.

Bear Spray

8:22 p.m. on July 11, 2013 (EDT)
354 reviewer rep
278 forum posts

UPS guy brought me a new present today.  My old one expired.  Sure hope I never have to review the effectiveness of this stuff.  Lol.  

PEPPER-SPRAY.jpg

11:39 p.m. on July 11, 2013 (EDT)
200 reviewer rep
3,931 forum posts

If you do hopefully the air will be moving away from you. I sprayed it once, not at a bear but a porcupine that was bothering me constantly in a camp in the Teton's. I chased him away many times, about every 10-15 minutes. Finally I shot him with my bear spray, he ran away but the air carried the stuff back into my nostrils and its not a pleasant smell. The porcupine, kept coming back till I moved my camp. 

Its siad its only effective at a close range. Well, if a bad bear had to get that close the spray may not do much good anyway.

Think I would rather make my own spray like the stuff I used to use as a paperboy in the 70's. A squirt container of ammonia and water for the bad dogs that gave chase and wanted to bite me. One squirt from 10 feet and they went home. Generally they seemed to learn the lesson and would veer away at the sight of the sprayer.

Wish I could figure out something to repel the ants in my trailer. They get into everything an nothing I have tried over 3 months has worked they just keep coming back.

12:59 a.m. on July 12, 2013 (EDT)
12 reviewer rep
834 forum posts

the ants are probably looking for water.

11:53 a.m. on July 12, 2013 (EDT)
200 reviewer rep
3,931 forum posts

And all my food, they seem to be able to get into everything. They are tiny 1/16th of an inch long.

2:51 p.m. on July 12, 2013 (EDT)
1,357 reviewer rep
1,339 forum posts

Bear spray works on bears, and moose, and even tigers (apparently). Mosr effective on animals with extremely good sense of smell. Range, depending on propellant and size of can, runs up to around 10 metres (33 ft) but you're better off to wait until they're a bit closer. 

Use the expired one to practice with. Aim downwind and walk slowly backwards as you fire. 

Don't think it would work too well on ants. Sorry, Gary. 

4:11 p.m. on July 12, 2013 (EDT)
200 reviewer rep
3,931 forum posts

Wasn't considering it for ants, just mentioning them. I have been bitten in Arizona many times by ants in my tent/sleeping bag at night.

33 feet is a long way and any wind can send it away. I practiced with a canister of bear spray once before going on a hike in Grizzly country in NW Wyomings Teton Wilderness. The spray comes out in a fan pattern from the point of spray. 33 feet would be dispersed quite thinly. I found its best range was maybe 5-10 feet and hope the wind is blowing away from you. 

Check out this video about proper use of Bear Spray.

11:05 a.m. on July 13, 2013 (EDT)
21 reviewer rep
1,012 forum posts

Use the old can for practice.

12:08 p.m. on July 13, 2013 (EDT)
TOP 25 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
1,684 reviewer rep
1,277 forum posts

Gary, I use DE aka diataematous earth or however its spelled. It basically looks and feels like baby powder. Its a mechanical pesticide made from ground up fossilized plankton. The best way to think of it is it is razor wire for insects. and its completely organic if your worried about that all, i do recommend getting the foodgrade version though.

Put some in a small squeeze bottle or buy the dispenser that they will with the DE and just put it all around your trailer, in all the cracks and crevices etc. IT WILL KILL ANY INSECT. Takes a few days for them to actually die from it, it cuts their exoskeleton so they slowly dehydrate and die. It is completely harmless to other animals and humans.

I use it in my house as needed, in my garden for pest control as needed, and even for deworming my dog, and for controlling ticks and fleas on my dogs, and for my chickens too!.

Its really cheap, really effective, and i highly recommend it.

Last but not least, the ants are there for a reason. It's either because you are a food source, a water source, or both. Wipe down all of the surfaces in your trailer to clean up any and all food debris and residue. A sticky cup ring stain on a table is enough to attract them. If you know where a mound is near your trailer then you can try dumping boiling water on it which is super effective, though can take doing that 2 or 3 times depending on the size of the mound(and your pot).

2:32 p.m. on July 13, 2013 (EDT)
1,357 reviewer rep
1,339 forum posts

GaryPalmer said:

The spray comes out in a fan pattern from the point of spray. 33 feet would be dispersed quite thinly. 

When I've used it, the spray has stayed fairly cohesive for the first 10-15 ft, then spreads out into a cloud that the bear can run into. The bear doesn't need a heavy dose, which means that even if you don't aim exactly, it will still work. 

The key is practice. Many people have never fired a can, or only popped off an old one where the propellant may be less powerful. Give it a shot with the expired one, Jason, and give us your estimate of the range. 

8:18 p.m. on July 14, 2013 (EDT)
12 reviewer rep
834 forum posts

diatomatious earth is what we use for fly control. it works on all insects. you can buy it in bulk, to use for swimming pool filters, or in smaller quantities.

April 21, 2014
Quick Reply