About | Blog | Forums | People | Free Newsletter
Trailspace is a product review site for outdoor enthusiasts. Use it to find and share great gear.

New bike

10:25 p.m. on July 24, 2013 (EDT)
200 reviewer rep
3,925 forum posts

My-new-Trek-Mtn-Bike.jpg

I just got this newer Trek mountain bike a couple days ago. I bought it off Craigslist  for St George Utah where a guy had it for sale. I paid $275 plus $75 shipping to have him box and send it to me. Its a 27 speed Trek 8000. Its super light and rides very nice, very little used. Has front shocks and narrow handlebars. I need to do some adjusting on it but its a sweet ride after riding my Trek 4500 for 7 years. 

IMG_0283.jpg

Here's another view of it.

Now I plan to box up and ship my Trek 4500 over to the bike shop in Springdale and get it completely rebuilt with all new parts and a new 8 speed freewheel and rear rim set. Its been a year since I last had it overhauled and its worn out. I want to keep the frame as its got all my travel stickers on it from the ast few years of touring places I have seen and been to.

My-bike-on-Navajo-Bridge-AZ-over-the-Col

Here is my 7 year old Trek 4500 on Navajo Bridge over the Colorado River in northern Arizona back in April when I rode it from Flagstaff to here. My home made pail panniers on front and back. I will leave my racks on it as I use the panniers for grocery shopping while here in town.

You can see how the frame is covered in stickers and park patches. The water bottles are Thermos brand insulated. I kept cold ice water in them during my daily rides  up the highway from Flagstaff.

12:18 p.m. on July 25, 2013 (EDT)
TOP 25 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
2,264 reviewer rep
1,247 forum posts

wow.  interesting carry system.  i assume those boxes are more rain-resistant than using front/rear panniers lined with trash bags.  not too aerodynamic, though.

i ended up replacing a road bike and mountain bike with a cyclecross bike - road geometry with slightly beefier components, tires that are thinner than a typical hybrid.  rear cluster has 10 rings, which is nice.  i'm not a true mountain biker but needed something that can handle a dirt trail/path without constantly getting flat tires. 

9:10 a.m. on July 26, 2013 (EDT)
200 reviewer rep
3,925 forum posts

I have ridden a mountain bike for touring since the early 1980s because it can go most anywhere a trail,dirt road or route thru the woods goes. 

My first tour in 1982 was on a road bike, a Schwinn Traveler III. But after riding from Jackson Hole WY to Hope AR and finding many side roads I wanted to travel down and not being able to because the bikes frame and rims/hubs were not strong enough I went to a mountain bike. My first one was a Fuji-Mt Fuji bike a used rental from a bike shop in Jackson WY. I rode it 7000 miles around the USA WY to NY to AR to AZ and back to WY. I have ridden mountain bikes on tours ever since.

I rode a mountain bike another Trek across Alaska 1000 miles in the fall of 2006.

The pail panniers are low enough and light enough that aerodynamics is not an issue. And yes they are totally water proof. I left the bail handles on them making them easily transportable.

IMG_0248.jpg

This one is backwards I had put it on to go to town to grocery shop. You can see the plastic bail/handle on it. The black strap is a bungie strap to help hold it on

IMG_0247.jpg

This image shows how I put the box on my rear rack. The front ones go on the same. I took steel L shaped shelf brackets and bent them in a U shape and screwed them into the short side of the kitty litter pail. So they hang on the rack. I also put a piece of bungie cord onto the side beow the hooks that straps around the lower rack and hold the box from bouncing away from the rack. The flamed duct tape is covering/reinforcing the hinge on the top lid.

IMG_0284.jpg

The bungie cord rack stabilizer

IMG_0285.jpg

How I screwed the hooks on and tied a knot inside the box to secure the bundie cords.

It cost me about $20 to make each pannier. I used acetone to wip the litty litter decals off the pails, wrapped reflective tape around them and used some flamed duct tape to decorate them and the shelf hooks and bundie cords. I also put a bike reflector on the back side of the box.(first image above)

They also make good ways to keep rodents out of my hear and food when camping in wild areas. Make usable seats, water carriers (each hold 4-5 gallons.

I only carry about 30 lbs of gear,food and water on my tours. I put the heavier items in the front panniers and the iighter in the back, I stuff my tents and sleeping bag into the rear ones with my extra clothing.

April 19, 2014
Quick Reply