First Aid Kit

8:03 p.m. on August 12, 2013 (EDT)
GUIDE/OUTFITTER REVIEW CORPS
944 reviewer rep
146 forum posts

833 grams/1.8 lbs. I'm clearly no UL, and I take mother nature very seriously. Here is the break-out of my first aid kit, I'd like to hear from you in regards to improving this part of my rig... thank you in advance!!!

Sea To Summit eVent dry bag/freezer bag interior
IMG_2420.jpg

Various pills w/cotton balls; ibuprofin, aspirin, heavy duty antibiotic, heavy duty pain relief, antihistamine.

Ace bandage

emergency blanket

PLB

signal mirror

Duct tape, waterproof bandage tape, leukotape on bottle

Kit itself

IMG_2417.jpg

Tourniquet 

Triple antibiotic

Stretch gauze

Bic Lighter

Leatherman Micra

Splinter Out

Fish hook

Razor blade/safety pins

Excedrin Migraine pills

After Bite insect bite treatment

Diphen/Benadryl

Famatodine/Acid reducer

Water purifying tablets

Saline 

A few small & regular size band-aids, fabric & regular
IMG_2418.jpg

Alcohol/alcohol free wipes

Nasal strips

Several large pieces of moleskin

Large compress wound dressing

Several sizes of gauze pads

Several sizes adhesive band aid pads

Butterfly closures

Fingertip band aids

Knuckle band aids

Thermarest repair kit

Needle, thread, buttons

non-sterile latex gloves

basic first aid book
IMG_2419.jpg

I intend on getting a hold of an irrigation syringe...

9:21 p.m. on August 12, 2013 (EDT)
284 reviewer rep
140 forum posts

Water proof band aids are great, they will stay on all day, Zinc Oxide ointment.  I'm not a expert buy maybe a Wilderness Red Cross class or two.

11:05 p.m. on August 12, 2013 (EDT)
MODERATOR TOP 10 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
5,663 reviewer rep
779 forum posts

A few years ago I added tweezers to mine after a cactus splinter got stuck in my lip (long story). Last trip I had a tiny deer tic in a place no man EVER wants to find a deer tic. If not for the tweezers, I'd have had to go to an ER for removal (never would have lived that down).

10:42 a.m. on August 13, 2013 (EDT)
1,357 reviewer rep
1,339 forum posts
  • Try swapping the Ace bandage for veterinarian's tape. Lighter and it doesn't need clips. 
  • The tourniquet seem redundant - I always have a belt or strap of some kind I could use. 
  • That sure looks like a lot of bandages and medical stuff - it seems unlikely you'd ever be in a situation where you'd need that many bandages or gauze pads. I carry an Adventure Medical Kit .5 UL version, which provides everything I've ever needed in terms of bandaids and basic medical supplies. It even has duct tape, and I just top it off and add a few extras as required. 

5003-378_NOC02_view1_390x390.jpg

• The only thing I don't see, which is part of my kit, is a shelter. If I'm not already carrying a siltarp, I'll toss in a dollar-store poncho or plastic painter's tarp. Either one makes a decent emergency shelter. 
  • Love the McMurdo, but I'd carry it somewhere more accessible, like on the outside of your pack or on your belt. 
11:36 a.m. on August 13, 2013 (EDT)
TOP 25 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
708 reviewer rep
898 forum posts

I might throw in an epi pen, if not for you, then for someone you encounter. Aside from skinned knuckles and knees, this is the thing that seems to get used the most.

12:54 p.m. on August 13, 2013 (EDT)
TOP 10 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
1,366 reviewer rep
400 forum posts

My kit is heavy on gauze and tape rather than specific bandages with extra duct tape for spots the medical tape doesn't want to stick.  Never used anything but some moleskin one time, alcohol wipes on a few scratches and of course the Vitamin I but the first aid kit is a good place to tuck my fishing tackle for easy access.

One thing I don't see on your list Munro, unless I missed it, is some sort of  diarrhea treatment. I've never had to use it but I freshen up the supply in my kit once a year. Can literally be a life saver if someone comes up short in the back country.

8:36 p.m. on August 13, 2013 (EDT)
12 reviewer rep
843 forum posts

that's the kind of kit you would carry for a group, not just one person. I do carry a suture, good for reattaching pack straps and fingers...

August 29, 2014
Quick Reply