Found my first backpack on Ebay

3:31 p.m. on August 15, 2013 (EDT)
210 reviewer rep
4,302 forum posts

My-first-backpack.jpg

Wow! While searching for a new external frame backpack on Ebay I found the pack that I used in 1977 to hitchhike 10,000 miles and backpack around the USA with. Bright orange and everything. I replaced it in 1978 in Alaska for another better pack.

Never would have thought to see this pack in a picture again. I bought it at TG&Y in Hope AR for about $20? Its for sale at Ebay for $29.99. But I am in the market for a larger pack.

11:11 p.m. on August 15, 2013 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
188 forum posts

I have a Kelty super toiga external cram out in the garage that I don't necessary need...

I also have another external frame pack that I forget the name on (I'm laying in bed and don't really want to go out and walk to garage to look right now) that is made from plastic.....maybe a camp trails?

6:09 p.m. on August 16, 2013 (EDT)
210 reviewer rep
4,302 forum posts

Kevin,

Post a picture of the packs and I will let you know.

3:24 p.m. on August 18, 2013 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
188 forum posts

its going to be at least a week...

im on the road and wont be back to town til late friday....

6:42 p.m. on August 18, 2013 (EDT)
21 reviewer rep
1,259 forum posts

Gary,

Now you are getting somewhere. You have found the perfect pack for the person with an alternative lifestyle. It is like you- practical, straight forward, no frills, highly capable, and stylish in a retro old-school kind of way.

I used to worry that I was turning into my Dad, then it hit me. I have already turned into my grandfather.

8:03 p.m. on August 18, 2013 (EDT)
210 reviewer rep
4,302 forum posts

Yes, the color of the pack being orange will make me stand out, although there will be few to see me out in the Kanab Creek area of the GSNM.

I still have another month before I am heading out to hike this fall. Its been a long 5 months this summer working, when I have averaged 3 months a year the last 37.

3:48 p.m. on August 26, 2013 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
188 forum posts

hey gary...

im back in town for a few daze....

pulled the tiago outta the storage garage to look at it..

im going to give it a wash them put a picture up (if i can figure out how to add photos)

kevin

9:17 a.m. on August 27, 2013 (EDT)
210 reviewer rep
4,302 forum posts

Click on the image of the green tree above the reply area next to the image of the film strip above. Then click New Upload, then Choose File, then Insert and the image you choose will be added to your post. Be sure to drop the cursur onto the reply area where you want the picture to  go.

9:24 p.m. on August 27, 2013 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
188 forum posts

Hey Gary---

I washed the bag tonight...

I'm going to let it drip dry tonight and maybe wash it again after it dries...

It really wasn't that dirty but figured I'd give it a scrub...

FWIW---it's a kelty super tioga.....size s/m according to tag...

It's in really good shape......the most noticeable thing is there is some paint scraped off frame (from sitting it down in parking lots next to my car) but the fabric part of the bag is in great shape....all zippers work..

I bought this bag in 95 and used it maybe 6 times before I bought an internal....

I plan on posting photos when it's dry....

Kevin

5:42 p.m. on August 29, 2013 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
188 forum posts

hey gary....

here's some photos of the pack.....

with zippers open and zippers closed......and showing scrape marks on the bottom.......top rail also has scrapes but i didnt take a photo of it....

also...sorry....couldnt figure out how to rotate...

SN850189.jpg

SN850196.jpg
SN850191.jpg

7:29 a.m. on August 30, 2013 (EDT)
210 reviewer rep
4,302 forum posts

Well, I am undecided on what I am doing this winter, I may just stay here and work all winter so I ca save up for next summer. Its getting expensive to travel now a days at about $300 a month to cycle tour and backpack which is the way I live when I am unemployed. I will let you know. Later I will save the images to my laptop and turn them and send them to you in case you want to repost them in Classifieds here at Trailspace. Time to go to work now, have a good day.

November 28, 2014
Quick Reply