My ensolite pad c,1978

11:33 p.m. on August 19, 2013 (EDT)
200 reviewer rep
4,156 forum posts

I once bought a sleeping pad for my camp trips, that was in 1978, and I still use the same pad now for 35 years. I will most likely die on it if I am not working and renting like this year. I am thankful Patsy,my land owner for living in this trailer, my home these last 4 months with 1-2 more. 

. I plan to stay quite a while if possible . In 2 1/2 months tho I am going to stop working until summer again 2014. But by those two and a half months, I will have saved enough to live here by paying rent, but instead of going to work I am going to travel with either my bike or my backpack and be gone at times for a couple weeks, but usually 1 day to 8 nights, camping and being myself instead of an employed worker.

I want to see and learn about Sh*t as much as I can in this one lifetime, cause I think if there truely is a heaven then it will be like Eden before the fall of Adam and Eve, or when our first ancestors swam in the sea, or took the the air. Or slit away from the Big Bang, it all works out for me. Understand? 

I feel I have been on a journey that started in my mothers Womb (THANKS MOM!) :) and has not quit, tho I have had and quit many a job, about 90 jobs(?) but have spent 97% of my time outdoors "Outdoors". 

The most fasinating thing, even if I cant speel that word <<<, that  I have ever done is swam with Hammerheads in the Black Lagoon off west Baja. Was snorkling and looked down 30 feet to the bottom where i was swimming and saw Hammerhead Sharks swimming down there, many of the hundreds it looked. But they were playing or something as they tore back and forth in slow smooth motion. Not a bit noticeable of me for dinner like a seal in water.

The worst thing that ever happened to me, might you ask? Hmmm, have to tink on that, let me see...being robbed of my touring bike after a 1000 mile bike ride across/around Alaska. I had planned to continue down the Canadian Rockies and end up back here in Utah, in this area I am in now. I ened up back here but with lots of free time under my belt.

Let me tell you this, I would rather watch a baby grizzly bear play with it mother Sow Grizz. But with awe and she has clue of me but knows I respect nature and her more than most everything in the universe, short of my part of nature, the like Les Stroud and Bear Gryyls roled in to one. I could if I really wanted to go and stay out dors the rest of my days (and nights by fires, moon glows, Moon Bows) maybe my flashlite in the darkest of rainstorms.

Anyway my sleeping pad Charlie, yeah I call it Charlie. Anyway we sleep in the tent or outside and it keeps me warmer off the ground and a wee bit insulated. My pad has allowed me to sleep anywhere practically. 

So there you have it "MY REVIEW" of gear. My pad which maybe an antique when I am thru with it, 12 years from now when it is and I am 69 in 2025.

Hope by then the cars will be gone that use gas, maybe solar or something Mother Earth News like. 

Tell me where will you be in 2025, age wise but not counting?

Oh, I am typing this in the middle of Robin Hood: Ghost of Sherwood

Have a good night and will post tomorrow or soon.

9:13 a.m. on August 20, 2013 (EDT)
1,357 reviewer rep
1,339 forum posts

What you say rings true for me, but my choices in life have been more conservative than yours. 

To every person who says they don't have time to get outside or to live the adventure, you are proof that it's just a matter of making up your mind that that's the kind of life you want. 

11:49 a.m. on August 20, 2013 (EDT)
21 reviewer rep
1,165 forum posts

Gary is proof that to really live, you can't have fear of dying.

I am willing to send Gary a check for up to $100 toward the purchase of a Thermarest or Big Agnes inflatable foam sleeping pad. It will change the way you sleep.

12:57 p.m. on August 20, 2013 (EDT)
200 reviewer rep
4,156 forum posts

I accept your offer, how much is a good cheap one?

Send it to me at:

Gary Palmer

PO Box 216

Orderville Utah 84758

One day I will die? OMG Well I hope to re-encarnate back as a terrestrial on Earth, but not nesessarily human. Maybe a mountain goat of Bog Horn Ram/Ewe

2:05 p.m. on August 20, 2013 (EDT)
200 reviewer rep
4,156 forum posts

The only thing I am proof of is that you can do just about anything with the life given you at birth to do and be just what you want it to be. I wanted to me a amaturologist when i grew up, and I only stopped growing up 7 years ago at age 50. Now I grow out and fat easier than I did at age 20. I still ride my bike daily but not as far or much as I do on tour when burning calories is second nature. In town now  5 months I am out of touring shape, but will gain it back when I do my next long distance ride.

BTW Amatureology is the study of every science and knowledge for the fun of it , not a degree, tho I have mastered some.

8:23 p.m. on August 20, 2013 (EDT)
59 reviewer rep
270 forum posts

My dad had one of those pads in the 70s, and I used it too up until a couple of years ago. Still a cold-weather necessity. It's in great shape, I'll never toss it. Some things just stand the test of time.

You'll be heading out to camp for the winter, Gary? Guess how jealous this Canadian is!

Hope that doesn't mean Trailspace won't be hearing from you. You'd surely be missed! The way you choose to spend your time is one of the inspirations I referred to in my back-to-school post. How much joy you take in sky and rock, and how you aren't willing to trade the truth of wilderness for the illusions of material things.

My father told me once when I was very young (I don't know the source): "We don't change as we get older, we just become more like ourselves."

In your case, a most worthwhile endeavour. :) Best of luck with the next adventure.

8:55 p.m. on August 20, 2013 (EDT)
200 reviewer rep
4,156 forum posts

I will have my chrome book with me and will write posts as I am in Wifi range. Winter is just a season term, whether I am in warm summer like days in Tucson's Catalina Mountains or staying where its actually cold but little or no moisture aside from snow melting down the canyons of the Grand Canyon as my water sources. 

I have a few material things like my bike and backpacking gear, but they are simple in comparison to cars, house's and debts. I still work to have money to buy food and other supplies, but know how to live on way less of it. I work but not year round and only for a few months at a time. 

My pad is my buddy keeping me warm, I had two of them once when I winter camped in Yosemite in Jan-May 1980 to cover my floor of my tent against the cold snow beneath.

4:14 p.m. on August 22, 2013 (EDT)
21 reviewer rep
1,165 forum posts

Gary,

I sent you a check for $75 on Wed. That should cover the cost of a Big Agnes pad.

6:03 p.m. on August 22, 2013 (EDT)
200 reviewer rep
4,156 forum posts
10:50 p.m. on August 22, 2013 (EDT)
200 reviewer rep
4,156 forum posts

I just ordered the pad above, thanks ppine! Coming from either SLC Utah (five hours drive away from me) or Virginia total cost with shipping and tax $48.

12:02 a.m. on August 23, 2013 (EDT)
BRAND REP TOP 10 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
1,988 reviewer rep
476 forum posts

Typing this from my own ChromeBook, Gary.

As a broke actor/musician, well...it's the computer of choice. Gets the job done. Truth be told, my new iPhone (was LONG overdue for an upgrade) can probably do most things better, but I'm old-school in that I require a keyboard to write anything of length. 

ppine? Really cool of you to lend a hand like that. Yet another reason why I've really grown to love this community. 

Gary? Seriously, a quality inflatable mattress makes such a difference. As a kid, I slept with my sleeping bag right on the tent floor. As an adult, I use a NeoAir Trekker, and wouldn't ever consider leaving it behind. Respect points your way, too, for knowing your way around finding a bargain. Gotta give it to ya, because there're a lot of days I contemplate filling my pack, heading out, and never looking back. You're one of the rare few to have actually done it.

7:51 a.m. on August 23, 2013 (EDT)
200 reviewer rep
4,156 forum posts

I chose to buy the short Big Agnes the 48 inch one. I can use my 36 year old Ensolite pad beneath it for my legs. 

7:22 a.m. on August 26, 2013 (EDT)
200 reviewer rep
4,156 forum posts

I have gotten used to my Ensolite pad and have slept well on it since 1978. I had a Therm-a-rest pad once but used it in the desert and punctured it so many times I gave it away years ago. My first sleeping pad in 1977 was a inflatable mattress made for swimming.

9:08 a.m. on August 26, 2013 (EDT)
TOP 10 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
1,366 reviewer rep
409 forum posts

GaryPalmer said:

I have gotten used to my Ensolite pad and have slept well on it since 1978. I had a Therm-a-rest pad once but used it in the desert and punctured it so many times I gave it away years ago. My first sleeping pad in 1977 was a inflatable mattress made for swimming.

I remember those "air mattresses" from the 70s.  They never seemed to work for very long in the water or in the tent.  Those memories have kept me from swapping my heavy duty Thermarest for one of the new inflatables...until now ;) Dang REI had to put the Neoair Xlite on sale so I'm going to give it a shot. 12 oz compared to around 2 lbs was too tempting with mountains looming on my horizon.

9:13 a.m. on August 27, 2013 (EDT)
200 reviewer rep
4,156 forum posts

Ppine,  the $75 came yesterday, thanks. I sent off for the Big Agnes pad  the day after you sent the money. It should be here soon, coming from SLC in northern Utah and I am in southern Utah.

Thanks,

September 23, 2014
Quick Reply