About | Blog | Forums | People | Free Newsletter
Trailspace is a product review site for outdoor enthusiasts. Use it to find and share great gear.

i really hope hikin jim sees this

9:57 p.m. on August 27, 2013 (EDT)
13 reviewer rep
113 forum posts

Expertise requested...

I have 3 stoves. I hate to let any of them go but I honestly just don't need them. I only backpack 3-5 times per year...a night or 2 at a time...fair weather.

I really need to skim down for cash to go toward other gear upgrades.

I have a microrocket, superfly and gigapower.

I only boil water - 16-32 ounces at a time. Nothing fancy for me.

Which should I keep for overall performance, efficiency and durability?

Thanks!

1:01 p.m. on August 28, 2013 (EDT)
TOP 25 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
1,669 reviewer rep
1,274 forum posts

They are all pretty similar, don't think you would go wrong with any of them. I would choose between the microrocket and the gigapower, and if it was me I would choose the gigapower.

Reasons being that the gigapower is lightweight and can be reduced to a true simmer. Microrocket doesnt really simmer too well IMO, and the superfly while works great is heavier at 5oz.

My personal canister stove of choice is the coleman exponent f1 ultralight, 2.7oz and has almost double the heat output of most other canister stoves, and can also simmer. It puts out 16,400 btu, or 16,000 something. Other canister stoves from msr, snowpeak etc range from 7,800-9,000 or so.

April 16, 2014
Quick Reply