Update of Quietstove Cap gear review

8:29 p.m. on September 4, 2013 (EDT)
TOP 10 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
2,329 reviewer rep
5,287 forum posts

A while back, I reviewed the Quietstove Cap. This device is a steel cylinder with a grid of small holes that , in essence, converts a roarer burner stove (in the case of the reviewed item, an MSR XGK EX) into a silent burner stove with a significant reduction in sound level. While the cap indeed does reduce the very loud sound of the XGK by a significant amount, to the level of an MSR Whisperlite, it was at an extremely high price, almost as much as the cost of a new XGK. The $149 was more than a new Whisperlite Universal, which is, of course, just for the cap - you have to have (or get) the XGK in the first place. Quietstove has reduced their prices for the various muffling caps by a substantial amount, to $89 for the model for the XGK EX. Note that this still leaves the combined XGK plus cap price higher than any of the Whisperlite line, and leaves the other drawbacks of the cap (weight, fiddly lighting method, voiding the warranty by making a conversion not authorized by MSR, etc) unchanged.

I gave the cap a rating of 2.5 stars at the time. Since the price is somewhat less extreme, I might consider raising it to 3 stars. However, if you are looking for a stove from scratch and do not already have an XGK EX (or one of the other stoves for which Quietstove makes the conversion), there are better choices at a significantly lower cost.

I did add an update note to the review.

1:29 p.m. on September 12, 2013 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
262 forum posts

Great review Bill.  From my past three and a half years collecting bping and camping stoves, I've learned a bunch.  I see no big deal having to prime a silent burner, as for me now, is the fun of using a stove.  My understanding at least for the BernieDawg caps description Gary gives, is reduction in not only noise but performance.  From what I have seen on my vintage MSR stoves, the flame has to touch the bottom of the pot and maybe the silent caps from either maker do not place as much flame on the bottom, but still use as much fuel.  I think competition has driven the price down.  I'd like to pick up another cap, but I have three of BD's caps.  I was offered a Quietstove cap a year ago, but felt some alligiance to Gary as I've camped with him and purchased several of his BD caps, so I turned the offer down.  A mini, midi and a Dragontamer are the BD caps I have.

Duane

August 31, 2014
Quick Reply