About | Blog | Forums | People | Free Newsletter
Trailspace is a product review site for outdoor enthusiasts. Use it to find and share great gear.

Nube, the perfected hammock shelter

11:31 p.m. on September 7, 2013 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
24 forum posts
9:59 a.m. on September 8, 2013 (EDT)
MODERATOR TOP 25 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
884 reviewer rep
3,432 forum posts

Thanks Gary,

That is a very well crafted campaign and I like their ethical approach (according to their statements).

The design work is impressive but their 4.19 lb. Nube & hammock system is heavy, compared to other systems. The biggest benefit I see (from my perspective) is the ability to hang your gear with the Nube.

My hammock & tarp is under 2 lbs. and I can still hang my backpack on the hammock suspension at arms length, or leave it in a plastic bag under my tarp on the ground.

I guess it all boils down to what a persons needs and what weight penalty they are willing to pay to get it.

12:34 p.m. on September 8, 2013 (EDT)
TOP 10 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
3,590 reviewer rep
583 forum posts

Well, I think they have got some good ideas.

I also think they are making it sound as though it's impossible to comfortable hammock camp in rainy/buggy conditions. There are lots of hammocks that come with a mosquito liner. My Grand Trunk Funky Forest Tarp only cost me $79, and it has kept me (and my gear) dry in driving rain.

I DO like the gear sling.

And if it really is big enough to bunk in, I could see two hikers sharing the weight of the tarp as group gear (I can hang two hammocks under the FF, but not with bug nets deployed.).

I think reputation over time and cost will be the deciding factor. If they price it too high, new hangers will be intimidated, and old hangers will stick with their current set up.

12:40 p.m. on September 8, 2013 (EDT)
TOP 10 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
3,590 reviewer rep
583 forum posts

trouthunter said:

My hammock & tarp is under 2 lbs. and I can still hang my backpack on the hammock suspension at arms length, or leave it in a plastic bag under my tarp on the ground.

TH, what are you hanging in? My set up is 3lbs., and I'd love to shed some extra weight (Though I am looking at a Clark Jungle Hammock which comes in at 3lbs. 1oz.).

2:04 p.m. on September 8, 2013 (EDT)
239 reviewer rep
136 forum posts

It looks great, I agree about the cost.  I wait for hammock forum first to see what they thing.  I use ENO single nest with bug net, remove the bag it saves 1 oz on the net, I like my tadpol from wilderness logic, got the 134 inch which weighs in at 12 oz.  The other thing is under quilt and upper quilt?  I'm a 3 season person but below 60 don't want CBS, I use the 40 degree setup total weight 25oz wilderness logic.  I love the hammock but the weight is a factor, also like the fact the I can remove the net when temps go lower, and I suspend my pack at tie point to the hammock, the tarp will cover the pack.  The other concern is when it rains the net looks to low and will get wet.

5:15 p.m. on September 10, 2013 (EDT)
TOP 25 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
1,669 reviewer rep
1,275 forum posts

Looks kinda strange to me. It seems just too gimmicky to me. I'm sure it works fine, but I agree that they seem to imply that a regular hammock setup is somehow inferior. My setup works just fine and I have none of the issues they mention.

It's heavy, costs alot, seems to have a big fiddle factor.

10:06 p.m. on September 10, 2013 (EDT)
1,347 reviewer rep
1,339 forum posts

TheRambler said:

... seems to have a big fiddle factor.

Simplicity was always one of the benefits of a hammock. Having to mess around with it seems to cut the advantages.

8:18 p.m. on September 12, 2013 (EDT)
TOP 10 REVIEWER
1,269 reviewer rep
317 forum posts

Not a fan of the nube!...a fixed tarp and bug-net...storage thingy that can hold 200lbs(!)?...yuck!

My hammock system is way over-built (heavy denier no-see-um mesh + 10 x 10 sil-nylon tarp)...and comes in right at 2.75 lbs...including all the cord (ridge + 6 guy-outs) and stakes.

I don't think I've ever had so much gear that I couldn't protect it from the wet (but I've never carried 200lbs of it either!)...I usually just sit my gear under my hammock with the tarp pitched low...and just for good measure put my pack with the gear not being used in the compactor bag I use inside it while walking...is this really a problem for folks?

I really wanted to like it...but really don't:-(

11:54 p.m. on September 12, 2013 (EDT)
TOP 10 REVIEWER
1,269 reviewer rep
317 forum posts

2.75 lbs DIY hammock sleep system

Tarp-and-Hammock.jpg

1:05 a.m. on September 13, 2013 (EDT)
TOP 10 REVIEWER
1,953 reviewer rep
386 forum posts

So that's what a TarpTent would look like hung from a tree, but they call it a Nube. Basically an out-of-proportion tent: mesh liner, bathtub floor. Nice thought, but probably would have to string this fairly high up a tree trunk to keep the lower gear storage section off the ground. That's the whole point of the hammock thing, no ?

April 18, 2014
Quick Reply