Just purchased new down jacket

12:30 a.m. on September 23, 2013 (EDT)
210 reviewer rep
4,348 forum posts

OR-Down-Jacket.jpg

I just ordered this Outdoor Research MEN'S TRANSCENDENT HOODY offline for $205 including 3 day shipping directly from OR's website. Made of 650 down fill and weighs just 15.4 oz

I liked this color called lemongrass with a evergreen interior.  Its left hand pocket doubles as a stuff sack

I will use it both for cycling to work mornings and while hiking this winter on my trips into the wilds of SW Utah.

I will do a review on it once I have it and have worn it.

9:19 a.m. on September 23, 2013 (EDT)
TRAILSPACE STAFF
488 reviewer rep
1,087 forum posts

Nice jacket Gary!  I'm looking forward to your review!

9:35 a.m. on September 23, 2013 (EDT)
1,377 reviewer rep
1,339 forum posts

OR is my favourite brand. Real professional equipment and a 100% warranty.

With 650 fill you might find it a bit too warm for cycling, but I guess we'll find out when you write the review. 

10:34 a.m. on September 23, 2013 (EDT)
TOP 25 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
2,702 reviewer rep
1,338 forum posts

very nice! looking forward to seeing your review after you have worn it for a while.  i went through a similar exercise last winter, ended up with a mountain hardwear jacket.  reviewed here.....

http://www.trailspace.com/gear/mountain-hardwear/hooded-phantom-jacket/

10:52 a.m. on September 23, 2013 (EDT)
TOP 10 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
3,627 reviewer rep
1,274 forum posts

I agree, OR is a fav. company of mine.  Being semi-local to me is part of it.

8:52 p.m. on September 23, 2013 (EDT)
210 reviewer rep
4,348 forum posts

Peter1955 said: With 650 fill you might find it a bit too warm for cycling. Well its just 6 miles to work and that's pretty much the only cycling I will be doing in it. It was 39 degrees here this morning at 530 am, my hands got cold/froze by the time I rode for 20 minutes to work. Guess I need to get some good warm gloves too. When I started here in mid April riding to work I got pretty cold, as the wind chill added by cycling about 15-20 mph to work on my bike I was chilled thru. 

I mainly plan to wear it on hiking/camping trips this winter out in the canyons of East Zion and Kanab Creek Canyon east of me.

6:51 p.m. on September 27, 2013 (EDT)
210 reviewer rep
4,348 forum posts

My-new-Outdoor-Research-Parka.jpg

It came today in the mail! Nice and bright Lemongrass color.

10:47 p.m. on September 29, 2013 (EDT)
210 reviewer rep
4,348 forum posts

I have worn the down jacket to work two days in a row now riding my bike down the 6 miles, It has been in the lower 30's every morning at 530 am when I leave home and it takes me 20 minutes to get there. With the wind chill factor of riding about 18 mph making it about the same as 2 degrees, I have been nice and warm, but not to warm as peter1955 suggested. I also wear a silk balaclava and winter cycling gloves. I wear the hood up of course but with the balaclava I don't cinch the hoods drawstrings. 

Hopefully this is a temporary preseason cold temperature thing and it will pass a bit before it stays cold out later in the fall. The tree's here are still green with no noticeable sign of color change. Days/afternoons are in the low to high 70's. Right now at 830 its still 57 degrees out.

I plan a lot of winter camping this year and next spring and can give a better gear review later when I have done more testing.

The silk balaclava is a bit on the tight side, even tho its one size fits all. It binds against my forehead and if I wear the chin section over my mouth my glasses fog up as the warm expelled air coats them with moisture. I wear it around my upper neck to eliminate this.

The winter cycling gloves which claimed to be warm are but after 5 miles my hands still feel chilled and finger tips cold. Like last spring in April when I started riding to work, I feel glad its only 6 miles as I feel my fingers would really be uncomfortable if I had to ride much farther.

When I bike tour its generally during the fall to spring months in warmer days/mornings and generally wait til sunrise to start pedaling and stop at least two hours before dark so I can set camp, cook and eat, get water and be in my sleeping bag before it cools off and is dark. I never ride before sun-up or after dark usually. Now its dark still at 530 am and isn't light until about 630-7 am. And is dark out by 730 pm. Traffic is light at 530-550 am with but a few cars and trucks.

9:45 a.m. on October 1, 2013 (EDT)
1,377 reviewer rep
1,339 forum posts

A good jacket should work well at a variety of temperatures and activity levels, and it sounds like that's what the Transcendent is doing. Good choice!

Suggestion for the hands; maybe a mitten or even gauntlet over top of a pair of gloves might do the trick. You can get relatively cheap mitts made for snowmobiling that are windproof, and have a multi-layer liner. 

I never did understand how cyclists could keep going all winter at temperatures down to -25°C! I guess you've got it pretty much figured out, Gary. 

10:52 a.m. on October 1, 2013 (EDT)
210 reviewer rep
4,348 forum posts

-25 C (how did you type the little 0) what temp is that in F? I usually don't cycle year round in cold areas where it snows but will give it a try this winter as I will have to still ride everyday at 530 am, but at least a few days a week I can opt to ride with coworkers in their cars.

I plan to buy studded tries for the icy streets/highway to work and on my days off to  get to trail areas and canyons I plan to hike.

I have winter cycling gloves which are wind proof but found I have to wear glove liners (I have) to insulate them as by the time I ride 5 miles the wind chill still gets cold thru them. The last mile is the worst on my finger tips. May invest in some sort of electronic hand-warmers to put in my pockets so when I get to work I can put my hands in to warm them while I wait the person with the key to get into the lodge.

I find that cold fingers feel worse as they slowly warm up that they did getting cold. And remember the feeling of spilling stove fuel on them in Yosemite in the winter when refilling my Svea 123 stove I used back in Jan-May 1980 winter camping. Its been over 30 years since I tried winter camping the last time!

11:29 a.m. on October 1, 2013 (EDT)
1,377 reviewer rep
1,339 forum posts

-25 degrees Celsius = -13 degrees Fahrenheit. To type 'degrees' use 'Alt +0176'

I have rechargeable heated insoles ($100.00), and I've used chemical hand warmers and toe warmers. The latter are a lot cheaper, but  the cost can add up if you're using them all the time. 

12:03 p.m. on October 1, 2013 (EDT)
210 reviewer rep
4,348 forum posts

Yeah, I just ordered 40 packs of chemical hand warmers for $35 from Amazon. I had considered a Zippo hand warmer but there was only one to an order and two would have been as much as the 40 chemical ones.

I hope even with wind chill from riding against the 18 mph wind I create it doesn't get to -13!

10:16 p.m. on October 2, 2013 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
67 forum posts

Nice looking jacket, Gary. In the market for one myself -- sans the hood -- as part of my layering. REI has a 20% discount starting this Friday so plan to take a look at the Patagonia's Ultra-Light Down or the Nano Puff PrimaLoft.

6:41 p.m. on October 7, 2013 (EDT)
1,377 reviewer rep
1,339 forum posts

For cold weather, I would never buy a jacket without a hood and in fact I own very few jackets of any kind, for any season, that don't have one. If you don't need it, you forget it's there, but when you DO need it, you're VERY glad you have it. 

Since most of your heat loss is through your head when you're upright, a hat and/or hood is the easiest way to regulate temperature when you're going hard in winter. 

7:36 p.m. on October 7, 2013 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
67 forum posts

@Peter1955

I'm kind of laughing at myself because when I posted that, I had yet to find those articles on the scientific/technical aspects of proper layering and had no idea what I was doing. After reading through, and studying, those five articles twice this weekend, I have a better grasp of layering and now understand the need for a hood.

I did end up buying the Patagonia Nano Puff on Friday, but haven't worn it yet, so it will be going back to REI on Tuesday. I am now looking at another PrimaLoft One jacket, it is a bit more substantial, and yes, it has a hood!

Appreciate your time and your wisdom.

7:55 p.m. on October 7, 2013 (EDT)
1,377 reviewer rep
1,339 forum posts

Well, George, I can only speak for myself and my own experiences. 

If you saw the Jasper mountain hike I posted last week, we encountered strong and cold winds on top. It was pleasant when we left the TH but with a chill factor I estimated later on the summit to be -32°C/-27°F. We were carrying toques, but it was because we could pull up the hoods and shelter our faces behind the edges while hiking that we weren't too concerned about frostbite. 

You might find it interesting that while both me and my companion both had down sweaters in our packs, under our windshells I wore a Marmot Alpha Pro (see review) and she wore a fleece/softshell combination. 

9:41 p.m. on October 7, 2013 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
67 forum posts

I hadn't seen your trip report but just now read it. Interesting about the fleece since I intend to wear a hi-loft fleece as my mid. And those wind chills are extreme and much too cold for my old blood!

10:32 p.m. on October 7, 2013 (EDT)
1,377 reviewer rep
1,339 forum posts

In high wind chills you need two things: something to keep the wind off you, and lots of dead air space between your base layer and the shell, like that you'll find with Primaloft, down, or in a fleece. Watch for fleeces or softshells that have a front full-length zipper, so you can layer them and still vent heat when you get warmed up. 

And get out a lot in the fall so you get used to the cooler temperatures.

10:53 p.m. on October 7, 2013 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
67 forum posts

Will do, Peter. Thanks for all your suggestions.

December 21, 2014
Quick Reply