Some outdoor companies!

9:23 p.m. on September 29, 2013 (EDT)
200 reviewer rep
4,122 forum posts

Why is it that if you go to some outdoor companies, actually many companies in general, they can't seem to stop sending you advertisements for new gear unless you have to unsubscribe from their emails. 

I looked at some gear at The Clymb outdoor gear website and then every time I checked my email I had a ad from them. I have gotten an email at least 3-4 times a day since a few days ago when I found their ad online while searching for a sleeping bag. At first I thought it was okay but tonight after so many email advertisements I finally went to the bottom of the email and unsubscribed!

But some don't seem to take the hint even after asking to unsubscribe and spamming their emails. There is a photo place called Serif.com that even after I unsubscribed they have sent me a new email everyday saying if I changed my mind to check out their new stuff. Come on stop emailing me! :(

I tried replying to their ads but then I get a response saying my reply did not go thru.

8:00 a.m. on September 30, 2013 (EDT)
118 reviewer rep
131 forum posts

Gary in your thread where you introduced us to Clymb I noted that the downside was you had to register to see the prices.

I registered. Got an email of confirmation, then I actually started reading. It said they would send an email EVERY DAY.

So I went back to their website and changed my "profile" to eliminate EVERY email.

It drives me nuts when I get an inbox full of emails from companies I've bought from ONCE, its just as bad when I buy from them on a regular basis.

Now, how about we shift the topic a little bit and talk about all the junk that ends up in our POSTAL MAILBOX from these companies?!? Seriously, they are deforesting the Amazon just to get the stuff into my mailbox.

8:43 a.m. on September 30, 2013 (EDT)
MODERATOR TOP 10 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
5,626 reviewer rep
768 forum posts

A few years ago someone on an Adventure Challenge listserv I belong to suggested everyone become a member of Outdoorprolink.com. They were suppose to offer great deals to professional outdoors people, with the idea that if I'm wearing something that says "Mountain Hardware" on it, my clients would see it and assume "that's what the pros wear!"

There was no fee to join, but you had to provide proof that you were an outdoor professional. After that, the rules were pretty strict: You could only buy for yourself, not friends or family members. You could only buy from the field you work in--so I could not take advantage of, say, kayaking or ski equipment.

But once I was finally a member, I discovered these "70% discounts" were a joke. I might save a buck or two over another website, but there was no super deals to speak of. I've never bought anything from them in the 3 years I've been a member.

Now, they're sending me emails about luggage!?!?!?

10:27 a.m. on September 30, 2013 (EDT)
TRAILSPACE STAFF
411 reviewer rep
1,043 forum posts

It's a narrow line between letting people know useful information and deluging them with garbage. I've gotten 10 e-mails from EMS in the past week. This falls firmly in the "garbage" camp!

Look carefully. The vast majority of these messages will have, as mandated by law, an "unsubscribe" link.  Use it!

4:44 p.m. on September 30, 2013 (EDT)
MODERATOR REVIEW CORPS
983 reviewer rep
3,475 forum posts

Gary,

I've often thought about setting up an automated Email system and give these turkeys a taste of their own medicine, but then I'd be a turkey too.

I just have to unsubscribe and / or block them.

Reasonable advertising is fine with me, but several times a week is too much.

6:28 p.m. on September 30, 2013 (EDT)
MODERATOR TOP 10 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
5,626 reviewer rep
768 forum posts

MooseJaw is the absolute worst!

I purchased from them one time. They screwed the order up. Then charged me twice. I had to challenge them through PayPal because I couldn't get any help from the company.

After 3 months of requesting to be removed from their mailing list, I just set my Google filters to mark them as spam.

I have to add this, MooseJaw's "whimsical" approach to doing business was cute and clever at first, but when you are trying to solve a very real problem and you can't get anyone to give you real names, it's frustrating. I'll never do business with them again.

9:59 a.m. on October 1, 2013 (EDT)
1,357 reviewer rep
1,339 forum posts

G00SE said:

There was no fee to join, but you had to provide proof that you were an outdoor professional. After that, the rules were pretty strict: 

Pretty much the same for any pro-deals. When you get an Interpretative Guides or ACMG ticket, you can get discounts from some major brands, but they don't like you talking about it. 

The IGA posted a link to that same website, but the prices were more than I'd get by going directly through the manufacturer. 

August 23, 2014
Quick Reply