About | Blog | Forums | People | Free Newsletter
Trailspace is a product review site for outdoor enthusiasts. Use it to find and share great gear.

Winter Quilting Tactics

2:42 p.m. on October 9, 2013 (EDT)
TOP 10 REVIEWER
853 reviewer rep
314 forum posts

I've been using a 40°f quilt for a while now and find it really works for me so long as temps don't get too far into the 30s.  For my body type and sleep style I'm just much happier than in a bag.  With Winter coming I've been doing some research on cold weather quilting with an idea of adding an overquilt to my current one.

I know we have some hangers here and likely others into quilts so I'm curious if anyone can share their Winter set ups. In particular I'm curious if you use single or multiple quilts and if multiple do you use synthetic insulation for your top layer? Do you use a bivy as well?  Anything else you want to share on the subject, including particular product impressions is appreciated as well, but nothing hammock specific please as I'm a ground dweller 8p

3:17 p.m. on October 9, 2013 (EDT)
255 reviewer rep
40 forum posts

I use a top quilt made by enLIGHTened Equipment (the Revelation model,  rated to 20 degrees).  It's a fantastic lightweight (22 ozs.) quilt that serves me well, just by itself, in temps below freezing.

For colder temps (lower than 20 degrees), I make sure to wear my base layer of long underwear garments (currently mid-weight polar tec material items) and then I augment my quilt with a liner -- my old Army poncho liner.  The military poncho liner is, ounce for ounce, the best piece of cold weather gear ever devised (in my opinion).

That allows me to sleep to in very warm fashion.

So, quilt.... long underwear..... poncho liner.  Good to go.

3:33 p.m. on October 9, 2013 (EDT)
TOP 10 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
3,590 reviewer rep
583 forum posts

If you are taking a 40F quilt down into the 30's you are doing great!

My set up is far from complete. I continue to play with it, as $$ allows. Currently, I use a down underquit and a 15F down sleeping bag (unzipped) as my top quilt. At 26F, I've been cold on my butt.

You didn't mention if your quilt is down or not. If it's down, it will lose temp rating as it is compressed. So throwing something heavy on top of a down quilt may negate the down's efficiency.

My first thought is to get a warmer quilt from someone like JacksRBetter or Warbonnett. Kick Ass Quilts makes a synthetic top quilt (check Hammockforums for a listing of popular quilt manufacturers).

Also, find a guy named Shug on YouTube. He uses quilts in wicked cold temps. I've learned a lot from his videos, and he's not shy to tell you what companies he likes best.

4:08 p.m. on October 9, 2013 (EDT)
TOP 10 REVIEWER
853 reviewer rep
314 forum posts

Thanks for the input so far guys.

@Earth Pig I already had the EE web site bookmarked ;) The word of mouth on their product is pretty much 100% positive which is very unusual though professional reviews aren't always as enthusiastic.  I'm still debating if I want to buy or make my own but a 10°f RevX is about the same as what materials would cost me and I don't have his experience heh.

@GOOSE Current quilt is down; a discontinued Thermarest Ventra I picked up a while back. You are correct that compressing it wouldn't help things.  I really have to make sure I shake it to get it lofted when it comes out of the pack.  I've definitely been looking around on the Hammockforums site because I know the hangers are into quilts.

April 16, 2014
Quick Reply