Want a good but cheap barometer watch

12:01 p.m. on October 18, 2013 (EDT)
200 reviewer rep
4,120 forum posts

I want to find a good but not expensive watch that tells the elevation and temperture. I will check the reviews here at trailspace but am looking for opinions on them, what to loom for and whats best but cheap?

12:14 p.m. on October 18, 2013 (EDT)
118 reviewer rep
131 forum posts

I use a Tissot Trek Titanium. Not sure what your definition of cheap is. Its probably the lowest price watch I own by a pretty good margin.

You can find them DEEPLY DISCOUNTED on ebay. The model I wear is discontinued now, I occasionally see it for 60+% BELOW retail.

The barometer function is the one that I use the most and find it to be a good predictor of upcoming problems.

image_zpsd4be7835.jpg

12:35 p.m. on October 18, 2013 (EDT)
200 reviewer rep
4,120 forum posts

melensdad, does it do temp too? Cool looking watch, I like the orange face! Curious about your profile picture, do you drive that snow machine? Or are you a transformer?:)

12:48 p.m. on October 18, 2013 (EDT)
118 reviewer rep
131 forum posts

Yes.

Temp, Altitude, Barometer, Compass.

Plus Alarm and Chrono functions. It also has the ability to do dual time zone.

For the temperature to be accurate you need to take the watch off your wrist for about 10 minutes. Also the Altitude has to be re-calibrated periodically for accuracy. Honestly I never use either of those two functions. Altitude should really be helpful for locations on a map (at least confirmation) but its not something that I've had to really use. Perhaps if I lived and hiked in places where there are real mountains it would be far more useful. But I generally am not in those places. As for temperature, if I'm somewhere hot, my skin is usually hot, if I'm somewhere cold, my skin is usually cold, so I really don't care to much about the specific temperature to any real level of accuracy.

As for the snow machine, that is a 1972 Aktiv Snow Trac. My wife used to spend time in Albuquerque visiting her parents, when she would go, I would have things show up while she was gone. I imported it many years ago as a "tractor" and on the import papers I listed it as agricultural equipment, consequently I can legally drive it on the roads if I have a tractor SMV sign on the back and the headlights on. Now she rarely travels without me, never sure what will arrive while she is gone! I have 8 garage bays filled up with "junk." The profile pic was taken in my front yard, the photo below is in my back yard, bottom photo in the side yard.

1b13.jpg

1-2.jpg

1:53 p.m. on October 18, 2013 (EDT)
200 reviewer rep
4,120 forum posts

Where was it imported from? Pretty cool looking machine. Only simple machine I have even owned and still do is a bicycle. Oh, yes I had a 49 cc moped when I was 16 in 1972.

2:04 p.m. on October 18, 2013 (EDT)
118 reviewer rep
131 forum posts

It was made in Sweden. Spent much of its life in England. Ended up on top of a mountain in Scotland. I bought it there and brought it to the US.

They are in high demand in Alaska and Canada. The Royal Marines used them during the Cold War to patrol the Russian border. Sadly a good number of them are on the bottom of the Atlantic Ocean, sunk on an English warship that was headed to the Falkland Islands during English/Argentinian conflict over the islands. They come in a few different variations, including one that carries an anti-tank WOMBAT gun, the 7 passenger cab that I have, a short cab with open back, and a full soft top version. There were also wide track versions.

1cardedSnowTrac.jpg

August 22, 2014
Quick Reply