Goodwill Score!

12:37 p.m. on October 22, 2013 (EDT)
TOP 10 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
1,366 reviewer rep
400 forum posts

I know the TNF haters will hate, but I spent a fruitful 5 minutes scanning the coat rack at Goodwill this morning.  Based on tag research since I got home it looks like I found a 2002 700 fill goose down Nuptse for $50.  I'm better prepared for Winter camping or sledding with The Tot with this addition, but I have a feeling it is going to be too warm for shoveling the driveway heh.

8:37 p.m. on October 22, 2013 (EDT)
REVIEW CORPS
1,816 reviewer rep
1,309 forum posts

you spent $50 at goodwill on one item? where do you live, Beverly Hills ? lol, was expecting you to say like $15 or less. but nice find

8:55 a.m. on October 23, 2013 (EDT)
1,366 reviewer rep
400 forum posts

We are blessed with two really nice thrift stores in town, the GW and an SA, but neither is run by idiots heh.  I have picked up some nice Columbia, Bean and Timberland items for $5 or less but when it comes to down they know its worth more than five bucks. The up side to that is it appears they didn't ruin it in the wash before putting it on the rack.

I'm just stoked because it fills a niche I've been in the market for but didn't want to spend the money to buy new.

9:22 a.m. on October 23, 2013 (EDT)
MODERATOR TOP 10 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
5,663 reviewer rep
780 forum posts

LoneStranger said:

I know the TNF haters will hate...

If you can get a good, useful product on the cheap, there's no cause to hate. Never look a gift horse in the mouth!

Now...get yourself a pair of black yoga pants to go with your TNF jacket, and your ready to go!

;)

9:45 a.m. on October 23, 2013 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
1,075 forum posts

Nice score, I'd take one in a heartbeat.

11:29 a.m. on October 23, 2013 (EDT)
3,344 reviewer rep
1,232 forum posts

GOOSE that was baaad!  But funny.  Very funny.

Sweet score on the jacket though.

I am a huge fan of thrift store shopping.  I can't think of anything at my Goodwill that would cost $50 though.

12:07 p.m. on October 23, 2013 (EDT)
BRAND REP TOP 10 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
1,988 reviewer rep
471 forum posts

TNF's fine if you're wearing it on the trail - it's the folks who combine it with their caramel macchiato to keep warm that bug me. Though I can't say the same for their tents, their clothing has yet to disappoint.

12:21 p.m. on October 23, 2013 (EDT)
1,366 reviewer rep
400 forum posts

G00SE said:

LoneStranger said:

I know the TNF haters will hate...

If you can get a good, useful product on the cheap, there's no cause to hate. Never look a gift horse in the mouth!

Now...get yourself a pair of black yoga pants to go with your TNF jacket, and your ready to go!

;)

In researching the tag codes I came across marketing for more current versions that says it looks good in Brooklyn which while funny, is also pretty sad. I see the coat and think..snowshoe camping!!  They see it and think triple soy mochiyucko with a quinoa scone and some dingleberry preserves 8p

6:49 p.m. on October 23, 2013 (EDT)
12 reviewer rep
843 forum posts

yes, TNF is all the rage in new York coffeehouse circles!

7:20 p.m. on October 23, 2013 (EDT)
2,329 reviewer rep
5,288 forum posts

First thing, here in the SFBay Area (birthplace and home of TNF), we have thrift stores that have all sorts of esoteric sports gear at really cheap prices (compared to their new prices - that down parka was several hundred bucks when new). I got a like-new Body Glove wetsuit for some kayaking for $15 a few years back. You often see last season's ski clothing, down jackets, boots, and so on for 80-90% the new price in the Goodwill, Salvation Army, and other thrift stores in the higher priced cities around here, including Palo Alto where I live, Los Altos, Los Altos Hills, Los Gatos, Sunnyvale, Cupertino, and so on on the Peninsula, and similar East Bay cities (Pleasanton, Livermore, Concord, Walnut Creek), and in Marin County. These donations to the thrift stores come from wannabes and folks with way too much money who buy the gear for a one-time outing, then find they really don't like the cold or the sport, or buy new stuff when the latest colors come out.

There are also a number of outlet stores for companies like TNF, Mountain Hardwear, Patagonia, and others that sell their last season's gear for substantial discounts. I have gotten jackets, pants, and gloves from some of them for 60% or more off, though often the sizes are limited to XS, S, XL. and XXL, or the colors are not "fashionable" (but who cares what the color is if you are 20 miles into the backcountry with other dirtbag cheapskates who also got their gear from the last-season sale rack).

My big problem is the outlandish prices for gear that isn't discontinued fashionwear. Barb and I wandered through a shop last week that was selling cook pots for over $100-150 for a plain, basic 1 liter cookpot, with equally outrageous prices for cups, camp eating utensils (hey, a plain plastic spoon, sold for a couple dollars for a box of 2 dozen will get the soup or oatmeal into you mouth just as well as a $40 titanium spork).

If you keep your eyes open, you can get top-end stuff for really big mark-downs

2:44 p.m. on October 24, 2013 (EDT)
REVIEW CORPS
450 reviewer rep
188 forum posts

Congrats on the score! Down puffys are the best.

Maybe it's a regional thing but I've never found quality outdoors gear at thrift stores down here in so cal. I guess I'll have to start combing the stores up north bill!

I'm a firm believer in discount shopping though. Steepandcheap recently had a thermarest down quilt for 50 bucks that I missed out on. They also had the fly creek ul2 for 50% off not too long ago. If you're patient.. There are plenty of internet deals to be had.

4:01 p.m. on October 24, 2013 (EDT)
87 reviewer rep
1,061 forum posts

Great Score.I dont have a good thrift store here,,Maybe I need to go to Maine...

4:20 p.m. on October 24, 2013 (EDT)
TOP 10 REVIEWER
1,309 reviewer rep
363 forum posts

Ha!...it is funny that there is so much "feeling" towards the professional class that are called BoBos (Bohemian Bourgeoisie)...I'm looking at you Goose (lol)! I am currently writing a paper where I argue (using interviews with BoBos) that the consumption of outdoor-gear is a means through which these folks legitimize their elevated social positions (outdoor-gear = power...sounds strange right?).

My argument goes as follows: Unlike privilege of past (which was legitimized by blood + family name + tradition + God) the professional class got to their elevated positions recently (via standardized exams which opened the doors to our nation's most exclusive universities). In order to legitimize their position in society BoBos must use different strategies than those in the past (strategies BoBos have of course rejected so that they can replace those folks). I argue that one of their primary strategies of legitimization (though not always knowlingly) is through their mastery of expert knowledges (science for example). How does outdoor-gear play in all this? Outdoor gear is loaded with "science"...knowing how WPB membranes work + why down has a higher R-value than synthetics + convective v. conductive v. evaporative heat-loss means that you have a distinguished taste (based on science as opposed to some natural taste given to you through your blood or God). It is another way (of many) that the powerful professional-class (not always knowingly) identify one another and demonstrate their worth over others...which is why I suggest a person is more likely to find discarded "last-year" outdoor-gear near BoBo bastions like San Fransisco than locations where the economy is based less on the income of the professions.

If none of that is interesting (which I completely understand)...just know that you are confusing their class mechanisms when you wear TNF in town and have an American Flag sticker on your car (which is why I would like to do follow-up interviews with non-professional outdoor recreation enthusiasts)...and that if you want to find great deals on outdoor gear at thrift-stores go to locations which have an economy based almost exclusively on the professions (college-towns for example)!

10:01 a.m. on October 25, 2013 (EDT)
255 reviewer rep
44 forum posts

You are one interesting cat, Joseph. 

I think hiking with you on a multi-day trek and being able to discuss things would be awesome.

11:33 a.m. on October 25, 2013 (EDT)
MODERATOR REVIEW CORPS
658 reviewer rep
2,148 forum posts

Nice snag! 

Where I live in Chattanooga, there are rarely great outdoor gear deals in the thrift stores, unfortunately. I think this is because we are a "little big town" and an outdoorsy one at that. This means that there aren't enough patagucci types to overcome the demand of the dirtbaggers and trail nuts that clean out goodwill. Ah well, ya' can't have it all, I suppose.  

10:49 a.m. on November 1, 2013 (EDT)
TOP 10 REVIEWER
1,309 reviewer rep
363 forum posts

Earth Pig...Eric (a.k.a. HRH) was telling me you might be interested in a group trip to Isle Royale? I guess you might just get to find out:-)

11:41 a.m. on November 1, 2013 (EDT)
255 reviewer rep
44 forum posts

jrenow said:

Earth Pig...Eric (a.k.a. HRH) was telling me you might be interested in a group trip to Isle Royale? I guess you might just get to find out:-)

Yes, definitely interested.  It looks like at least a good week-long adventure (maybe longer) so it'll take some planning due to work constraints, and the sheer logistics and costs it'll entail.  Such a trek, however, would be a great combination of an awesome, unique hiking setting and some pretty darn interesting discussions of our views on a host of issues!

I was thru-hiking the Superior Hiking Trail (SHT) a few years ago and met up with some hikers who were planning to catch the ferry to Isle Royale when we got to the northern terminus of the SHT.  After two weeks on the SHT, they were planning another 10 days backpacking the island.  I envied them as I had to return to work and life..... but it's been on my list of places to hike before I die.

And I'm not getting any younger.

September 2, 2014
Quick Reply