I dislike Cambrelle lining

4:02 p.m. on October 23, 2013 (EDT)
TOP 10 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
3,627 reviewer rep
1,274 forum posts

I have not done a scientific study but I think that I have had to throw away more shoes because the Cambrelle lining in the heel cup has shredded away than any other reason. 

Is there a better alternative?  Okay, I know,  the 10-ish pound FGL boots in my closet never give me this trouble but lets be real here.  I'm not going on a run in Montagna boots.  I want something light.

Its as if its a built-in failure point.  The entire shoe is still running strong then the lining shreds and turns into a blister factory. 

So is that the trade; either you get light footwear and fruit fly longevity or FGL mass and boots you can leave in your will? 

Shoe industry hear me!!  If you're out there, shoe makers I want something better!

5:47 p.m. on October 23, 2013 (EDT)
MODERATOR TOP 10 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
6,513 reviewer rep
872 forum posts

FromSagetoSnow said:

Shoe industry hear me!!  If you're out there, shoe makers I want something better!

LOL! I had a vision of shoe makers from across the country suddenly pausing in their tracks, looking up confused, and thinking, "I get the weird feeling someone just said something to me."

8:01 a.m. on October 24, 2013 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
595 forum posts

Why not put leather heel cups over the Cambrelle? Or you can buy rigid heel cups like this -- http://www.amazon.com/Tulis-Heavy-Duty-Large-175lbs/dp/B000MT3G4Q/ref=sr_1_1?s=hpc&ie=UTF8&qid=1382615956&sr=1-1&keywords=heel+cups

10:49 a.m. on October 24, 2013 (EDT)
TOP 10 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
3,627 reviewer rep
1,274 forum posts

I may have to try these, thanks!

10:41 p.m. on October 24, 2013 (EDT)
MODERATOR REVIEW CORPS
998 reviewer rep
3,506 forum posts

Fruit fly longevity -haha!

I don't know Sage, I have had the same problem. I personally just don't like the feel or durability of Cambrelle, I much prefer a leather lining, it would be nice to have a light trail runner or hiker with a leather liner.

9:01 a.m. on October 25, 2013 (EDT)
REVIEW CORPS
1,861 reviewer rep
1,319 forum posts

Any cobbler worth anything can repair/replace this type of problem easily. No need to throw away a perfectly good pair of footwear if thats the only issue.

I had a pair of shoes repaired last year for $8.75.

2:49 p.m. on October 30, 2013 (EDT)
TOP 25 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
2,514 reviewer rep
1,322 forum posts

1.  the insides of fivefingers seem incapable of being shredded.

2.  using orthotics significantly reduces this problem.  don't know why, but i have only had one pair of trail runners experience 'heel shred' the past several years.

3.  for hiking boots as opposed to trail runners, a full grain leather lining is a very, very nice thing.  When Merrell decided to use a knit lining in its Wilderness hiking boot, I was disappointed.  so, a big plug for Limmer hiking boots - still made the way they should be. 

4:45 p.m. on October 30, 2013 (EDT)
MODERATOR REVIEW CORPS
658 reviewer rep
2,149 forum posts

I really wish my Asolos had a leather lining. I'm not a big fan of Cambrelle either. In an FGL boot it just tends to hold water, which immediately seeps right into a new pair of socks when you change out the wet ones. So annoying.

6:05 p.m. on October 30, 2013 (EDT)
12 reviewer rep
843 forum posts

so far I have had good luck with my boots. we'll see.

November 26, 2014
Quick Reply