Anyone selling Galibier Makalu?

4:09 p.m. on November 8, 2013 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
5 forum posts

Hello ,

if there is anybody who wants to get rid of his Galibiers in size 10-11 ,let me know, thank you!

12:05 p.m. on November 9, 2013 (EST)
21 reviewer rep
1,165 forum posts

No but I have a Visceral Catahoula and a Resplendent Tonganoxi for sale.

6:37 p.m. on November 9, 2013 (EST)
TOP 25 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
2,439 reviewer rep
1,292 forum posts

Eric - i think these come up from time to time.  felt lined double boots are hard to come by these days.  maybe monitor ebay UK or the equivalent in france, that might help.  

Pine.....forget it, i can't think of anything positive to say about your response.   

4:18 a.m. on November 10, 2013 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
5 forum posts

Thank you Andrew. I am monitoring ebay all the time ,not only in UK but the others too. They are really hard to find ,that's why I decided to ask here.  Best wishes! 

1:44 p.m. on November 10, 2013 (EST)
21 reviewer rep
1,165 forum posts

Andrew,

With all due respect, not everyone knows what the item above is. It would be helpful if people could identify what they are talking about. A little descriptiom perhaps.

1:45 p.m. on November 10, 2013 (EST)
708 reviewer rep
908 forum posts

Erik, of course the Makalu Double Boots that Galibier made were the very best. You might also look for the Le Trappeur double boots. The quality was not up to Galibier, IMO, but still very high. I had a friend who used his on a climb in Alaska and when we went to Peru to do Huascaran.

2:56 p.m. on November 10, 2013 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
5 forum posts

Pine, as Erich said these are a leather double boots. 
Erich ,I know about Trappeur but finding them is even harder

6:01 p.m. on November 10, 2013 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
581 forum posts
9:22 p.m. on November 10, 2013 (EST)
2,439 reviewer rep
1,292 forum posts

no problem, Pine.  the point of this request is to locate a hard-to-find pair of boots.  if someone reads the title of this thread and doesn't understand what it means...they won't be of any help in finding a pair of these boots anyway.  

10:04 p.m. on November 10, 2013 (EST)
TOP 10 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
2,329 reviewer rep
5,296 forum posts

Erik,

Boot fit is very personal, of course. As mentioned (and you are finding out) Galibiers are getting harder to find (not sure where you are located, though it could make a difference even in this day of searching the web. I find that Scarpa and La Sportiva boots fit my foot basically right out of the box, but the one pair of Galibiers I had took a bit of work by an excellent bootfitter (he is retired now, unfortunately). You might want to consider these 2 Italian bootmakers as alternatives if you continue to have a hard time finding the Galibier Makalus.

12:16 p.m. on November 11, 2013 (EST)
708 reviewer rep
908 forum posts

Bill, Erik may be in the same spot as this other Erich. Galibiers are the only boots I've ever had that fit me right out of the box. I have a narrow heel and a wide toe, which most, if not all, the Galibier, Remy-Richard Pontvert boots have. Italian lasts work OK for me with some effort, and German boots never did anything for me but cause pain.

12:34 p.m. on November 11, 2013 (EST)
21 reviewer rep
1,165 forum posts

Andrew,

Your rationale is the same one people use when they have 2 acronyms in every sentence. It is not very considerate of people that don't know what they mean. How I am ever supposed to become a gearhead without some explanation?  Otherwise you are talking a foreign language.

1:05 p.m. on November 11, 2013 (EST)
331 reviewer rep
287 forum posts

I opened this thread and had no idea what "Galibier Makalu" is so I simply do not respond and expect that someone who knows what that is would help Erik out if possible.  No big deal.  

Guys like ppine like to talk down to newby's on this site with sarcasm and disrespect.  It is really childish and I don't think it should have a place in a forum like this.   It may even violate the terms and conditions of the site.  

IMO, it is unfortunate how this site is somewhat of a good ol' boys network and if you aren't in the little click then you are just a dumb newby.  I think guys like ppine push  lot of potential contributing members away from this site.  It is unfortunate.  

1:25 p.m. on November 11, 2013 (EST)
708 reviewer rep
908 forum posts

Erik, You might try Pro Mountain Sports in Seattle. I know the owner has a pair of Peuterays, I think in a 43 or 44, so might have a pair of Hivernales around or know someone who as a pair. Second Ascent in Seattle has a pair hanging on the wall(the owner collects) and maybe you could score them for the right price. Just to eliminate confusion, I would use Leather Double Boot in subject headings as Pontvert calls their special soles "Makalu", and, as I recall, Galibier marketed glacier glasses under the Makalu name. I think they were actually made by Vuarnet.

2:48 p.m. on November 11, 2013 (EST)
2,329 reviewer rep
5,296 forum posts

Erich, Eric asked for size 10-11, but did not state whether that was US or UK size 10-11. According to this size chart, UK would be 44 or 45 Eur and US would be men's somewhere between 43-45. It would be nice if there were a somewhat unified standard size system. Even across the EU, different countries use different size systems. Add to that, each manufacturer has its own set of lasts. Well, that's why I use trained boot fitters. Ordering from the internet is almost guaranteed to produce a wrong fit.

Depending on the maker, I take an 8.5 or 9 US shoe, a 42 light hiking boot (Lowa), 43 ski boot (Scarpa), and a 44 expedition boot (La Sportiva Olympus Mons). For rock shoes, I ask for a range of about 4 sizes, then spend a few hours trying the various sizes on in the styles that look like they will fit the kind of rock I will be using them on.

You are right that the "Makalu" name is used for too many different items (I have a Makalu shell, though the Galibier name should have pinned it down) - using the qualifier "leather double boot" would help - and it might dissuade certain people from posting snide and sarcastic off-topic remarks, if we are lucky.

3:20 p.m. on November 11, 2013 (EST)
708 reviewer rep
908 forum posts

You are right, Bill, sizing is difficult. My SGs are marked 43 on the inside of the outer tongue. Paraboot says that a 44(their sizing) is a 10 in the UK. I wear a 10  US and my SGs fit well, though not with too much sock.

6:05 p.m. on November 11, 2013 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
5 forum posts

Ok I am new to this forum it is obvious , and I want to apologize. I have been looking for these boots a long time ,and I just habituated to call them Galibier Makalu, my mistake. I am happy now everybody knows what is it all about. English language is not my native language so excuse the mistakes I am doing.
You guys are wright about the sizing . I have leather Fabiano boots ,made by Scarpa which are size 11 US ,they fit me fine ,but my street shoe size is 10 US ,which is 9UK and 43 euro size. But  reading about the Galibier sizing in different reviews and forums ,everybody comments that if you are shoe size 10 ,you are 10 in Galibier boots too. 
I am size 10 US - 43 euro ,but wearing a winter boots with a wool socks they have to be one or half size bigger in my opinion ,that's why I asked for 10.5-11US. 
About the model name ,first they were Galibier Hivernale ,then Galibier Makalu ,I think the difference is that Hivernale were with black leather and Makalu with brown. Looking at the pictures of both models I can't find any other differences.
I will try to contact the guy from Seattle ,thanks!

6:54 p.m. on November 11, 2013 (EST)
2,329 reviewer rep
5,296 forum posts

Sounds like for a "new guy" you have a lot of knowledge and experience. And your keyboarding is far better than many of the "native English-speakers on internet forums (only one typo I saw, and a minor one at that). Had me fooled ;). Welcome!

Don't worry about the "Makalu" terminology - Galibier and other companies change the model naming all the time (that's called "marketing" - find a catchy name that sells - they probably came up with the name when Makalu was first climbed). Erich, Andrew, and I knew right away what you were looking for.

Fact that you know about having to go to a larger size with heavy socks is one big clue that you have "been there, done that" more than once.

If you find a pair that needs re-soling but is otherwise good, there is a shop in Seattle that does a good job on resoling and repairs of mountaineering boots. I don't his contact information right at hand, but Erich can probably supply that.

8:17 p.m. on November 11, 2013 (EST)
1,172 reviewer rep
605 forum posts

I would expect someone who keeps preaching the "old ways are the best" to have heard of one of the premier, old school leather mountaineering boots, no? These were the top of the line boots in the 70's, not many made like them anymore.

11:14 p.m. on November 11, 2013 (EST)
708 reviewer rep
908 forum posts

Hivernale is roughly translated as "winter" or "wintery" and Galbier used that to describe their cold weather boots, of which the Makalu is one. The Paraboot/Galibier website still lists hivernale as a category.  I have seen Makalus marked with "Makalu" and then Hivernale in script. Dave Page is the cobbler Bill referred to. He was a UW history professor and is now the world's leading authority on mountaineering boots. He's a bit crotchety, climbed a lot with Fred Beckey. He's got to be in his mid 70's now. If you need your climbing boots worked on, he is the guy. He also might know of a source for there boots. I don't have his number close by but his shop is on Evanston in Seattle, or was last time I was there.

2:12 a.m. on November 12, 2013 (EST)
708 reviewer rep
908 forum posts

Here's Dave Page's contact info.

http://www.davepagecobbler.com/forms.pdf

3:13 p.m. on November 12, 2013 (EST)
2,439 reviewer rep
1,292 forum posts

timing is everything - a small post on Coldthistle about Galibier Super Guides.  Not double boots, but still....

http://coldthistle.blogspot.com/2013/11/how-cool-would-modern-galbier-super.html#more

12:00 p.m. on November 13, 2013 (EST)
708 reviewer rep
908 forum posts

With a foam insole, as the poster in the link suggests, I doubt whether the SG's would last as long as they do. They are heavy, extremely well made(quality materials, attention to detail, made by hand) I never had any complaints about the Makalu sole. Worked well for edging and standing in etriers.

1:25 a.m. on November 16, 2013 (EST)
21 reviewer rep
1,165 forum posts

So this might be a good time to pose a question to the group:

Is this site designed to appeal to equipment techno-geeks only with a lot of jargon and specific names of equipment,

Or should it have more broad-based appeal for anyone interested in learning more about outdoor equipment??

4:27 a.m. on November 16, 2013 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
5 forum posts

Thank you for the kind words Bill !

Erich I've contacted the guys from Seattle but negative answers received. So for now I am just going to look over ebays for some offer. Thank you all ,wish you all the best!

11:53 a.m. on November 16, 2013 (EST)
2,329 reviewer rep
5,296 forum posts

ppine,

Both, and lots in between. In case you had not noticed, as the home page says in its header, Trailspace is first and foremost a "gear review site". It used to be a very much " outdoor community" site. But economics being what it is, the balance has shifted to gear reviews. There are still lots of beginners, newbies, and novices asking lots of questions and getting responses that are appropriate to their level of experience. Plus there are more experienced outdoor folks asking advanced questions about highly technical gear questions in paddling, hiking, and climbing. There are a number of folks who have spent decades in the outdoors who provide valuable advice to the less experienced - that's one of the really great aspects of Trailspace. Virtually every aspect and every level of the outdoors from novice-level gear questions to important environmental questions to technical details of the latest greatest gear gets discussed. Unfortunately, there is a downside to everything. Since Trailspace is open to everyone, there are a few who show up with a negative attitude and prefer to be disruptive and who do not want to play by the rules of common courtesy or show respect for the wide range of outdoor interests covered here. This site is for everybody who goes to the woods and hills and is willing to respect the wide range of interest and experience, as well as respecting all the other members

2:14 p.m. on November 16, 2013 (EST)
708 reviewer rep
908 forum posts

I think the key is that we treat everyone equally with respect. Another site that I post on regularly, is Canadian Canoe Routes. It started as a dream more than a dozen years ago by one man, who several years ago sold the site to Wilderness Canoe Association. It is, IMO, one of the best run and easy to navigate sites around. The site is not centered around gear, but is a forum to ask questions, research routes, talk about gear and repairs. While it is mostly focused on Canadian routes, there are some in the US. Members are both Canadian and American. While there are always some newbies, many have deep experience in long expeditions. There have been the occasional posters with a contrary attitude, but for there most part, everyone is very cooperative and collegial. I think one difference may be that most regular posters either use their real names, or are well known to everyone. What this may mean, is the, "I know who you are" approach. If someone wishes to be contrary for the sake of being contrary, we all know who it is and where they live.

Perhaps TS could be more of an outdoor community site again, with different categories that aren't specifically gear related. And sell it to the sponsors saying that while we aren't specifically trying to sell your product, it will get sold and tried if we promote the outdoors generally. Certainly room to put more ads on the home page, as Canadian Canoe Routes does.

3:43 p.m. on November 27, 2013 (EST)
21 reviewer rep
1,165 forum posts

Jason Ruff said:

I opened this thread and had no idea what "Galibier Makalu" is so I simply do not respond and expect that someone who knows what that is would help Erik out if possible.  No big deal.  

Guys like ppine like to talk down to newby's on this site with sarcasm and disrespect.  It is really childish and I don't think it should have a place in a forum like this.   It may even violate the terms and conditions of the site.  

IMO, it is unfortunate how this site is somewhat of a good ol' boys network and if you aren't in the little click then you are just a dumb newby.  I think guys like ppine push  lot of potential contributing members away from this site.  It is unfortunate.  

Is this really the kind of stuff we need to put up with??

4:05 p.m. on November 27, 2013 (EST)
331 reviewer rep
287 forum posts

Sorry ppine but I don't recall making any snide, immature and sarcastic comments to anyone.  

You think new members want to come back when they get sarcastic comments from you on their first post?  I doubt it.  

Look at the "Arm Warmers" thread as well.  

September 22, 2014
Quick Reply