putting polartec neoshell through its paces

4:20 p.m. on November 26, 2013 (EST)
TOP 25 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
2,703 reviewer rep
1,333 forum posts

with a 'major storm' (what will probably turn out to be a steady, windy rain, no more) bearing down on the northeast and mid-atlantic, i thought it would be a good day to take a break and spend a few hours outside.  high 30's, steady rain, breezy.  perfect weather.

wore a pair of nike cold gear tights under gore tex shell pants, an old pair from golite that i think are gore tex xcr.  wore a medium-weight baselayer from patagonia under a marmot zion soft shell that has polartec's neoshell membrane.  i have had this soft shell for almost a year and a half, and the experience i'm outlining here is consistent with how I have used it before.  

i ended up de-layering the shell pants after about 45 minutes, when i was heated up.  i wore the soft shell zipped most of the way up, with the hood hauled in; no hat.  walked a few hours, threw in some fairly significant hills.

there was some moisture on the inside surface of the pants.  the jacket has a fuzzy lining that was mildly damp on the inside, and the base layer i wore underneath was also damp - but by no means uncomfortably so.  i'm sure that was all perspiration from working hard.  the jacket kept the wind and rain out....but i felt relatively cool inside, compared to most waterproof/breathable hard shells i have used.  the soft shell does not have armpit zips; had i been wearing a hard shell today, i probably would have at least partially unzipped to let some moisture out.  

has anyone else used neoshell a fair bit in the field? comments? anyone aware of neoshell/soft shell pants? i would be into that.

thx

8:42 p.m. on November 26, 2013 (EST)
TOP 25 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
1,333 reviewer rep
628 forum posts

I've had similiar experiences to yours. The air movement is significantly more than both gore and event. The only Neoshell pants I know of are the EMS brand.....

http://www.ems.com/product/index.jsp?productId=12441083

They are a full bib though, I imagine you are looking for just a pant for more flexibility? Might be worth a look though at that sale price.

December 18, 2014
Quick Reply