Ibex Nomad FZ Hoody

6:38 p.m. on December 6, 2013 (EST)
REVIEW CORPS
2,499 reviewer rep
1,320 forum posts

one thing about spending lots of time outdoors, regardless of the weather - my family knows it, and holiday gifts tend to reflect that. 

a gift card for REI recently yielded a luxury, a full-zip merino wool hoody that i never would have purchased otherwise.  this is a mid-layer with wool thick enough to compare to an expedition-weight baselayer or a decent mid-layer like Patagonia's R1.  it also has a useful hood.  it's kind of like the technical equivalent of taking a really nice, lightweight merino wool sweater and dedicating it to hiking.  it's very different from any of the thin wool base layers i use, and very different than all the synthetic heavy baselayer/light midlayers i have used.

Too early to review it, but I just returned from a very rainy walk and really, really like this.  i had a small backpack with about 20 pounds of water and stuff.  it's 45 degrees out.  i wore shorts, a wicking t-shirt, this wool mid-layer, and an eVent hard shell.  had the armpit zips fully open, wore both the wool hood and the rain shell hood.  moved fast for an hour and a half.  except for the water on my face and cascading down my legs, i'm just a little damp under the shell.   

http://shop.ibex.com/Apparel/Mens-Long-Sleeve/M-Nomad-Full-Zip-Hoody

i'll get some more experience with it and review it.  it's sufficiently expensive that i wouldn't dream of paying full price for it normally.  but it's worth a look for the holidays and for this winter, i think. 

7:39 p.m. on December 6, 2013 (EST)
351 reviewer rep
287 forum posts

That is a sweet hoodie.  

10:53 p.m. on December 8, 2013 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
1,083 forum posts

I have a number of Ibex products and all are great.  I really like the brand.

8:09 p.m. on December 9, 2013 (EST)
TOP 25 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
1,247 reviewer rep
624 forum posts

I have the Smartwool comparable version, something like the TML full zip I think its called. Got it at a steep discount last year because it was in last seasons colour scheme......black and grey. Ha ha ha.

November 26, 2014
Quick Reply