safe drinking water on business

4:02 p.m. on December 16, 2013 (EST)
TOP 25 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
2,424 reviewer rep
1,291 forum posts

i'm in Ukraine this week.  Work demands unfortunately leave no time to enjoy the outdoors. 

drinking water here is reportedly suspect.  i'm not a big fan of buying bottled water, soi bring my own water treatment on work trips.  a long time ago, i started bringing a MSR filter (the sweetwater), which once induced security to remove it and examine it closely - they thought it was a bomb, i think.  on most trips recently, i have used a steripen.  this time, i'm toting my current MSR pump, a miniworks (got tired of replacing paper filter elements). 

curious for those who do a fair amount of international travel - what do you use to keep the water safe?

5:06 p.m. on December 16, 2013 (EST)
REVIEW CORPS
1,699 reviewer rep
1,308 forum posts

Back in my Navy days when i had to travel frequently around the world for one reason or another I used my miniworks as well. Nowadays I would probably use my sawyer squeeze or my steripen.

5:40 p.m. on December 16, 2013 (EST)
TOP 10 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
3,344 reviewer rep
1,230 forum posts

Unless Idaho counts I stay in the US but I'd use the Camelback All Clear.  I like mine a lot.

8:07 a.m. on December 17, 2013 (EST)
TRAILSPACE STAFF
410 reviewer rep
1,046 forum posts

Oddly, I'd be much more concerned about Ukrainian tap water than a lot of the ditch water I've consumed on the east coast of the US! The possibility of contamination by lead, organic compounds and radionuclides would seem to suggest an activated carbon filter. Travel safe! Perhaps the vodka is a safer choice?

8:41 a.m. on December 17, 2013 (EST)
102 reviewer rep
2,285 forum posts

Hyper chlorination, followed up by hydrogen peroxide to remove the chlorine from solution.  Variations of this method can be purchased from camping supply merchants, but it is cheaper if purchased from a marine outfitter.  And if you do a little research into the chemistry, you can make your own ionization/oxidation treatment kit from household bleach and hydrogen peroxide for a fraction of the cost.  But this only deals with microbes.  If the water is chemically polluted you will require more sophisticated filtering devices than what most campers pack along.

Ed

10:04 p.m. on December 24, 2013 (EST)
12 reviewer rep
843 forum posts

screw the water - drink beer!

1:23 p.m. on December 25, 2013 (EST)
TOP 25 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
2,424 reviewer rep
1,291 forum posts

Hot tea turned out to be a good compromise at restaurants.

Beer in Ukraine....only one microbrewery, and one brewery does a decent unfiltered white beer.

August 28, 2014
Quick Reply